Transfer from Geneva to Les Arcs and back!!

Old December 18th 03, 12:42 PM
Lewis Barclay

Default Transfer from Geneva to Les Arcs and back!!

Myself and a freind are staying in Les Arcs 1800 for 3 weeks (last week in
Jan first week in Feb of 2004).

Has anyone got any good tips for transfers from Geneva and back, we've been
looking but we everything seems really expensive - seeing as there is just
two of us!
The problem seems to be our flight times we are flying in late on a saturday
and leaving early on a saturday so that counts out any possibility of
getting coaches unless we stay in Geneva overnight!

Anybody got any suggestions!!!

Old December 18th 03, 01:21 PM
David Brown :o\)

"Lewis Barclay" wrote in message
. ..
Myself and a freind are staying in Les Arcs 1800 for 3 weeks (last week in
Jan first week in Feb of 2004).

Has anyone got any good tips for transfers from Geneva and back, we've

been
looking but we everything seems really expensive - seeing as there is just
two of us!
The problem seems to be our flight times we are flying in late on a

saturday
and leaving early on a saturday so that counts out any possibility of
getting coaches unless we stay in Geneva overnight!

I assume you've already booked your flights?
It's just quite a long way from Geneva to Les Arcs, I think you may be
better of flying to Turin.
http://wgs7.ismap.com/cgi-bin/geo/WG...3&dep=73&ct=LE
S%20ARCS&ctid=010330400099896&dp=3&t=13&m=%5Fnis.m od&l=a&xm=400&ym=250&x1=46
805917&y1=442653383&x2=89139251&y2=469111717&fcx=6 7972584&fcy=455882550&act=
10&

Whichever, car hire is always an option.
--
David Brown )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack

Old December 18th 03, 02:00 PM
Lewis Barclay

Thanks David.

Yep flights and hotel booked for the 3 weeks!

As mentioned, we get to Geneva at 20:20 (after the last bus has left) and
need to get back there for 07:10 the day we leave (meaning we have to leave
Les Arcs very early, again before any buses!)

I looked into hiring a car for 3 weeks but it works out at about £800 ! Dont
think it will be possible to just hire on for the day there and anopther for
the day back!

Looks as though we will have to stay in Geneva for the Saturday night and
return to Geneva on the Friday night before we leave - just realised thats
Friday the 13th - NICE!

Any other ideas anyone!

Old December 18th 03, 04:32 PM
Greg Hilton

try these guys

http://www.a-t-s.net/

Although I just put it in for you, £121 per person each way!! You can
get 10% off this if you are a member of the SCGB

Avis group A from 22nd Jan until 13th Feb 2004 is 533.90 GBP

Les Arcs website says :

Airport Geneva Cointrin (CH) :
Tel. +41 22 717 71 05
Regular shuttle from Geneva with Accueil France
Tel. booking : +41 22 798 20 00 http://www.altibus.com/

How about Europcar to Bourg St Maurice, drop the car off and pick up for
return journey?

BOURG SAINT MAURICE
-- LES ARCS
One of a kind ! The Arc-en-Ciel funicular train, which leaves from just
behind the SNCF railway station, takes you to Arc Pierre Blanche (1600)
in just 7 minutes. Use of this service is included in all ski passes
(from funicular train station ticket office).
For all inquiries : SMA
Tel. +33 (0)4 79 04 24 00 (website)

By coach (fare-paying) :
Autocars Martin (website)
Tel. +33 (0)4 79 07 04 49
Reservation advised

--------

Free, regular shuttle service from Bourg St Maurice to the foot of Les
Écudets chair lift (ski access for La Rosière), passing through Séez..

There's also a free service from Bourg St Maurice to Landry, passing
through Hauteville-Gondon. There are fare-paying shuttles to the other
Haute Tarentaise resorts.

--------

Car hire :
Europcar - Bourg-St-Maurice :
Tel. 33 (0)4.79.04.04.20

regards,

Greg

Old December 19th 03, 06:55 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"Lewis Barclay" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks David.

Yep flights and hotel booked for the 3 weeks!

As mentioned, we get to Geneva at 20:20 (after the last bus has left) and
need to get back there for 07:10 the day we leave (meaning we have to

leave
Les Arcs very early, again before any buses!)

I looked into hiring a car for 3 weeks but it works out at about £800 !

Dont
think it will be possible to just hire on for the day there and anopther

for
the day back!

Looks as though we will have to stay in Geneva for the Saturday night and
return to Geneva on the Friday night before we leave - just realised thats
Friday the 13th - NICE!

It's probably quite good that you leave so early on saturday 14th Feb, which
traditonally is the busiest on the roads (middle of the school holidays) -
even if you had an evening flight you would have to leave early morning to
be sure to get to it!

As somebody already said, one option is to find a hire company that allows
drop off in Bourg St.Maurice - do take into account though that the
funicular up to Les Arcs will not be running at the times you are talking
about, so you should plan on keeping the car an extra half day at each end
of your trip. Try Europcar - Bourg-St-Maurice :
Tél. 33 (0)4.79.04.04.20

The alternative is to stay overnight in Geneva. There are plenty of cheapish
hotels on the French side, though not easy to get to (no public tranport) -
you will need either a taxi, or a hotel with a navette service (i.e. not the
cheapest ones...) See e.g.
http://www.ferney-voltaire.net/herbergement_an.htm

Old December 19th 03, 09:50 AM
Lewis Barclay

Thanks for all the advice!

Looks like its either staying in Geneva and getting bladdered for the night
then missing a days boarding or driving to Les Arcs. Im not too sure which
one is more appealing!

Anyone who has driven from Geneva to Les Arcs before - at 9pm on a Saturday
(hopefully in driving snow) - could you give me tips!!!

Cheers

Old December 19th 03, 03:04 PM
BrritSki

Lewis Barclay wrote:

Thanks for all the advice!

Looks like its either staying in Geneva and getting bladdered for the night
then missing a days boarding or driving to Les Arcs. Im not too sure which
one is more appealing!

Anyone who has driven from Geneva to Les Arcs before - at 9pm on a Saturday
(hopefully in driving snow) - could you give me tips!!!

You could always hire a car for the day. Not sure if there's a drop-off
point in Bourg-SM, but there certainly is in Moutiers so there probably
is - the carhire websites will tell you. That is probably not much more
expensive for 2 than staying in Geneva and getting the bus.

Or if you're not too bashful, make a sign asking for a lift in return
for petrol money and walk up and down the aisle of the plane !
Old December 20th 03, 07:58 PM
denis

Lewis Barclay wrote:

Anyone who has driven from Geneva to Les Arcs before - at 9pm on a
Saturday (hopefully in driving snow) - could you give me tips!!!

Its nice, very little traffic, and driving on unwasted fresh snow is great
fun. You'll probably enjoy it...

Anyway, you could always ask a taxi/bus company for what you need, they do
that all the time, but it may not be cheap...

oh, and don't forget an extra for the driver (thanks !)

good luck !
Old December 23rd 03, 02:52 PM
Mark

If you're thinking of staying in Geneva and price is key, then
consider the Formule1 hotel, only a couple of minutes from the airport

http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule...he_hotel.shtml

only 27€ for the room, sleeps up to 3 people.