Just back / Montegenevre / Clavier / Serre C etc

Old December 23rd 03, 11:05 AM
WeatherCam

Default Just back / Montegenevre / Clavier / Serre C etc

Went out Thurs to Turin - opted for France as opposed to Cervinia / Alagna
etc - as had to pick some kit up in Briancon - snow very respectable - opted
to stay in Montgenevre (1860) - just rambled around MG on Thurs afternoon
and was pleasantly surprised - Friday was good, some untouched with a bit of
a walk - first thing in the am tried out my new touring (Dynafit bindings)
Deeluxe approach skis - these are 90cm and take a snowboard boot, so with
skins can pretty well get up anything, though need to buy some crampons for
the ice crud - much , much better than snowshoes, far more economic for
hiking in terms of energy levels. Links to Claviere were not open on the
Friday and whether they would be open on Sat was suspect, we knew we could
get over, but getting back was suspect, so first thing sat am drove car down
to Claviere and hiked back on the skis leaving car there...that was a great
move, slipped over to Claviere where pretty well every thing was untracked.
made absolute pigs of ourselves - did one hike that we knew from some time
back , and down through the trees and into some bowls - very good - and
hardly anyone there - the place was empty!

Sat pm went over to La Grave for dinner with some friends over there and the
guide we've been using over the past 7 or so years. LG opened on the Sat ,
but was pretty well wind blown.....as we were having dinner, snow started,
left LG at 11:30pm and only just managed to get back over the Col du
Lauteret - descended into Serre and snow stopped, and skies were clear, bit
of a relief as I didn't fancy driving back up to Montgenevre in the hire car
without chains - anyway, classic happended, went to bed and woke up to find
out that it had been snowing all night - white out conditions in the am, but
we persevered and had a very respectable morning - then skies cleared and
just kept getting better - loads of untracked and found one drag lift that
very few people had used and made about 5 ascents on that to do all the
untracked in the trees....and again, for a sunday before Xmas - the place
was empty!

And finally yesterday, was just superb - did some serious descents laying
down some very nice tracks which stayed there all day - if that had been
Val, Chamonix the place would have been skied out in an hour!

Will post some photos later.....

REgards
WC

Old December 23rd 03, 02:18 PM
Greg Hilton

"WeatherCam" wrote in
:

Went out Thurs to Turin - opted for France as opposed to Cervinia /
Alagna etc - as had to pick some kit up in Briancon - snow very
respectable - opted to stay in Montgenevre (1860) - just rambled

How long was the drive from Turin to MG and then onto La Grave?

regards,

greg
Old December 23rd 03, 04:34 PM
WeatherCam

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
"WeatherCam" wrote in
:

Went out Thurs to Turin - opted for France as opposed to Cervinia /
Alagna etc - as had to pick some kit up in Briancon - snow very
respectable - opted to stay in Montgenevre (1860) - just rambled

How long was the drive from Turin to MG and then onto La Grave?

regards,

greg

Turin to MG was around 1hr 20 min - MG to Briancon is 15 minutes then
Briancon up and over to LG is 45 mins - obviously very much depends on
traffic and weather conditions - Sestrierre / Saux D'Oux much closer to
Turin.

Regards
WC