Recommendations in Logan Canyon, Wellsville Range, or Cache Valley ?

Old July 1st 06, 07:34 PM

Default Recommendations in Logan Canyon, Wellsville Range, or Cache Valley ?

Graduate School wont take up ALL my time.

Old July 4th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Yabahoobs

Yabahoobs wrote:
Graduate School wont take up ALL my time.

Thanks for the help.....Sorry I even asked.

Old July 4th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Simon Isbister

"Yabahoobs" wrote in message
oups.com...

Yabahoobs wrote:
Graduate School wont take up ALL my time.

Thanks for the help.....Sorry I even asked.

Yeah, don't you hate it when you post a question over the long weekend, and
no one comes home to check their newsgroups and answer it.

Old July 5th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Simon Isbister

"Yabahoobs" wrote in message
oups.com...

Simon Isbister wrote:
"Yabahoobs" wrote in message
oups.com...

Yabahoobs wrote:
Graduate School wont take up ALL my time.

Thanks for the help.....Sorry I even asked.

Yeah, don't you hate it when you post a question over the long weekend,
and
no one comes home to check their newsgroups and answer it.

Any recommendations ?? Im lookin wide-eyed at what I see around
here...Lots of ideas...Just wondering if anyone else has experience in
this area.

Sorry. I'm not even sure what state you are talking about. Of course, I
live in a different country, so that might have something to do with it.

Old July 5th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Yabahoobs

Simon Isbister wrote:

Sorry. I'm not even sure what state you are talking about. Of course, I
live in a different country, so that might have something to do with it.

Cache County Utah, USA. Sorry...In reading many of the posts in here,
I assumed the vast majority of people were located in Utah.

Thanks anyway, though.

Old July 5th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Simon Isbister

"Yabahoobs" wrote in message
ups.com...

Simon Isbister wrote:

Sorry. I'm not even sure what state you are talking about. Of course, I
live in a different country, so that might have something to do with it.

Cache County Utah, USA. Sorry...In reading many of the posts in here,
I assumed the vast majority of people were located in Utah.

Thanks anyway, though.

In terms of the lack of responces to your posts, July is the slow season for
skiing. Could be everyone is over at rec.climbing. Of course, that has
been slow as **** lately, too...

Old July 5th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Kurt Knisely

"Yabahoobs" wrote in
ups.com:

Simon Isbister wrote:

Sorry. I'm not even sure what state you are talking about. Of
course, I live in a different country, so that might have something
to do with it.

Cache County Utah, USA. Sorry...In reading many of the posts in here,
I assumed the vast majority of people were located in Utah.

I really doubt it, but Utah tends to be a destination area for both "BC" (I
use that term loosely for the tri-canyons) and resort folks. Most posters
left rsb years ago for one of the many Web-Based discussion groups, you may
have more luck there. I haven't skied up yonder and you really didn't
provide any details as to what you're looking for, but here are some
pointers:

You have a fine local avalanche center w/ daily updates, class schedules
and great pics. I'd really suggest continuting your education by taking
another Level I or II class. It's always good to learn from the resident
gurus plus you'll meet more like-minded locals.

http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/BRAIC/

Gnarly:
http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/BRAIC/...nyon1-4-05.htm

Go to the annual Fiesta in September @ Black Diamond. You can meet the
local forecasters, grab a drink, food, dance, and buy stuff at the silent
auction:

http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/fuac-events.htm

Buy the books/maps. These are the bibles:

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~hanscom/WasatchTours.html (probably Vol. 2)
http://www.alpentech.net/cgi-bin/alp...hCatalog.html?
id=zzGhrUS6 (Map 4?)

I'm less impressed with Tyson's book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076...54?v=glance&n=
283155

Instead of paying $8.00+/USGS quad, I usually buy a Mapping CD when I move
somewhere new. Besides, then you can print custom maps, no worries about
seams, etc, but it looks like they're pricey now. I prefer the maptech
software.

http://www.maptech.com/
http://www.ngmapstore.com/jump.jsp?i...EGORY&itemID=9

There are a bunch of "free" topo map sites as well

http://www.topozone.com

-K
Old July 6th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Yabahoobs

Nice ! Thank You Kurt, that's exactly what I was hoping to find...Alot
of the chutes that are catching my eye I know will get me killed if I
hike / and drop them at the wrong time.

Thanks again.

Kurt Knisely wrote:
"Yabahoobs" wrote in
ups.com:

Old July 7th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Kurt Knisely

"Yabahoobs" wrote in
ups.com:

Nice ! Thank You Kurt, that's exactly what I was hoping to find...Alot
of the chutes that are catching my eye I know will get me killed if I
hike / and drop them at the wrong time.

Thanks again.

De nada. Another good book w/ Utah roots you might want to read before
your avalanche class in December or so is Bruce's excellent book "Staying
Alive in Avalanche Terrain":

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/pro...ils.cfm?PC=472

I've re-read it the past few years and still pick up a few tidbits that
didn't sink in before.

Ed LaChapelle's "Secrets of the Snow: Visual Clues to Avalanche and Ski
Conditions" might be worth a quick read as well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/029...63?v=glance&n=
28315

You should be able to find most of these books in the USU Library if
strapped for funds, Amazon, local bookstores, etc.

Enjoy, and post a TR next season. We usually just say "Somewhere near
Alta", but for you it might be "Somewhere near Idaho".

-K
Old July 8th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Hal Murray

De nada. Another good book w/ Utah roots you might want to read before
your avalanche class in December or so is Bruce's excellent book "Staying
Alive in Avalanche Terrain":

High on my list of avalanche books is Snowy Torrents. It's the
avalanche version of the climber's accident reports.

The Avalanche Center has it for $20. Your local ski shop or
book store may have it too.
http://www.avalanche-center.org/stor...torrents4.html

--
The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my
other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited