Tua Grande Neige MX vs. Tua Cirque MX

Old April 19th 06, 11:07 PM

Default Tua Grande Neige MX vs. Tua Cirque MX

Hello,
What are the main differences? I have the opportunity to buy them
cheap... For backcountry (SNS_BC+Salomon_Raid) and telemarking in
rolling terrain...
TA
Old May 10th 06, 01:42 PM

d wrote:

What are the main differences? I have the opportunity to buy them
cheap... For backcountry (SNS_BC+Salomon_Raid) and telemarking in
rolling terrain...

Nobody knows?

Not explicitly. The original Cirques were a bit heavy, IIRC (I might
not...) the MX is the lighter cap construction version which eliminates
the weight issue reasonably but it's not so good on ice. In either case
(again, IIRC) the camber is still reasonably flat so they don't hold wax
especially well. The Fischer E109 has similar dimensions and sidecut
but will hold wax better.

How about Tua Montets MX?

Not sure, but /the/ Tua ski for rolling country was probably the Escape.
It was very well regarded, and what is probably a re-badged version is
the Dynastar Montagne Plus (which I use, and aside from graphis we can't
tell any obvious difference between those and a pal's Escapes). Takes
wax well and will actually reverse camber doing serious turns rather
than knock you over (or so my pal assures me, he's a BASI tele and
nordic instructor). They don't turn as well as Cirques, but they're
thinner and have less sidecut. They eat up the rolling country much
better though.

I have another pair of Tua skis, Heliums, which are very nice as a light
but wide ski that will cope with more serious down. I wouldn't want to
take on rolling country on them though.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 11th 06, 09:25 PM

In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

[...]

Yep. But I have only choice between TUA Cirque MX, Tua Grande Neige MX
and Tua Montet MX. There are Viper MX too, but they were racing skis for
hardpack snow - definitely not for backcountry...
All of them are unused and cost 10 quid for a pair.

According to my researches - Montets require plastic boots so I am
thinking rather about Cirque and Grande Neige...
Another question is - how to choose the right lenght? I am 182cm/75kg
plus backpack (10-15kg). What were the rules 6-7 years ago - mind they
are old skis

Grande Neige MX are 200cm only.
Cirque - 192 and 200cm.

Help me, ObiWan, you're my only hope...

Regards
TA
Old May 11th 06, 10:54 PM

In article ,
wrote:
In article ,
Peter Clinch wrote:

[...]

Yep. But I have only choice between TUA Cirque MX, Tua Grande Neige MX
and Tua Montet MX. There are Viper MX too, but they were racing skis for
hardpack snow - definitely not for backcountry...
All of them are unused and cost 10 quid for a pair.

_ Pounds or Euros? 10 Euros sounds about right for an unmounted
still in the wrapper pair of these skis.

According to my researches - Montets require plastic boots so I am
thinking rather about Cirque and Grande Neige...

_ If I remember correctly, Montets would be okay with a
reasonable 3 pin leather boot and cables if you can find
such a beast these days. I certainly remember plenty of
people skiing on such a setup.

Another question is - how to choose the right lenght? I am 182cm/75kg
plus backpack (10-15kg). What were the rules 6-7 years ago - mind they
are old skis

Grande Neige MX are 200cm only.
Cirque - 192 and 200cm.

_ I think you'd be happier on the shorter skis for making turns.
The Cirque was a very highly regarded ski in it's day as well as
the Montet MX. The Grande Neige I can remember nothing about. I
don't think you could really go too far wrong with any of these
skis, they are much more similar than different. Especially in
comparision to what's currently in vogue for telemark skis.

_ You might try poking around www.archive.org and looking for
old reviews on the www.couloir-mag.com website.

_ If all else fails buy the red ones, red is always faster...

_ Booker C. Bense

Old May 12th 06, 12:43 AM

In article ,
Booker C. Bense
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.May.11.06@telemark. slac.stanford.edu
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Yep. But I have only choice between TUA Cirque MX, Tua Grande Neige MX
and Tua Montet MX. There are Viper MX too, but they were racing skis for
hardpack snow - definitely not for backcountry...
All of them are unused and cost 10 quid for a pair.

_ Pounds or Euros? 10 Euros sounds about right for an unmounted
still in the wrapper pair of these skis.

Euros. But it seems to be dirty cheap anyway...

According to my researches - Montets require plastic boots so I am
thinking rather about Cirque and Grande Neige...

_ If I remember correctly, Montets would be okay with a
reasonable 3 pin leather boot and cables if you can find
such a beast these days.

As I said before - I have spare Salomon_Raids and Salomon_X-Adv_8 with
SNS_BC bindings...

Another question is - how to choose the right lenght? I am 182cm/75kg
plus backpack (10-15kg). What were the rules 6-7 years ago - mind they
are old skis

Grande Neige MX are 200cm only.
Cirque - 192 and 200cm.

_ I think you'd be happier on the shorter skis for making turns.

Are you sure? In those days I did use 200cm downhill skis. And those TUA
are (technologically) like downhill skis from the beginning of the 90.
And they are thinner than downhill skis... I'm just asking...
The other thing is I want to buy these TUA just for the light
backcountry...

The Cirque was a very highly regarded ski in it's day as well as
the Montet MX. The Grande Neige I can remember nothing about. I
don't think you could really go too far wrong with any of these
skis, they are much more similar than different. Especially in
comparision to what's currently in vogue for telemark skis.

_ You might try poking around www.archive.org and looking for
old reviews on the www.couloir-mag.com website.

I spent last few days on browsing and reading dozens of opinnions. And I
still know nothing... :-(
I think I'll take Cirque MX - 192...

_ If all else fails buy the red ones, red is always faster...

I see
:-(

Regards
TA
Old May 12th 06, 01:27 PM

Old May 16th 06, 11:54 PM

Hello,
I've just ordered one pair of TUA Cirques MX (192cm) and one pair of
Dynastar Montagne Plus (192cm). I hope they will not be too short...
Regards
TA