Skiers thumb injury??

Old February 25th 06, 08:20 PM

Default Skiers thumb injury??

I took a few a few weeks ago, twisting my left hand as I fell. I think I
pushed the thumb around some, but it didn't bother me a lot the first
week. Second week bothered me some more and by the end of the second
week I said to my self; this isn't getting better. I decided that doing
pushups (I do them with closed fists because of previous wrist problems
with the open palm 90 degree angle) was not a good thing for this.
Now going on third week it really started bothering me while polling
(classic) today.

I have been wearing a wrist brace which helps a little, but is this the
right thing? Would immobilizing it more with a carpal tunnel hand
support thing be better? Or would immobilizing it make it heal all tight
and never work right again
gr
Old February 26th 06, 01:11 PM

gr wrote:
I took a few a few weeks ago, twisting my left hand as I fell. I think I
pushed the thumb around some, but it didn't bother me a lot the first
week. Second week bothered me some more and by the end of the second
week I said to my self; this isn't getting better. I decided that doing
pushups (I do them with closed fists because of previous wrist problems
with the open palm 90 degree angle) was not a good thing for this.
Now going on third week it really started bothering me while polling
(classic) today.

I have been wearing a wrist brace which helps a little, but is this the
right thing? Would immobilizing it more with a carpal tunnel hand
support thing be better? Or would immobilizing it make it heal all tight
and never work right again
gr

If it's an injury caused by forceful thumb abduction, and is getting
worse rather than better, you should see a doctor and have some imaging
done to exclude an ulnar collateral ligament injury or avulsion
fracture. It's it's not found and treated you can end up with a
permanently dysfunctional hand.

Cheers,
Chris
Old February 26th 06, 08:14 PM

Chris Cole wrote:
gr wrote:
[...]

I got a thumb stabilizer brace today and it was back to good skiing
again! Only problem was getting the mitts over the thing!.
Thanks for your help.
gr