Vasaloppet snow update

Old February 14th 06, 03:10 PM

Default Vasaloppet snow update

Any word on how snow conditions are looking for the Swedish
Vasaloppet?? Webcam of the start area looks white, but was wondering
what snow depths are like. thanks.

Old February 14th 06, 06:32 PM

I'll second that request !!

Also, i've searched the internet with no luck. What is the AVERAGE
temp for the first week of March in Mora Sweden? Are we looking at
below or above freezing temps normally??

JK

Old February 14th 06, 08:03 PM

Jim Kelley wrote:
Any word on how snow conditions are looking for the Swedish
Vasaloppet?? Webcam of the start area looks white, but was wondering
what snow depths are like. thanks.

Don't know what the long range predictions are or the base, but current
conditions and a short range forecast:

http://www.storm.no/tv2/Reise.aspx?ID=307699

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/02441.html

This one has history but only back to April!

http://www.temperatur.nu/temperatur-1-0_4_22.html

Other cities have longer history. Find one close in the drop-down at
the bottom right.

Click on "Prognos Mora" above the drop down for some interesting stuff.

Joseph

Old February 14th 06, 08:08 PM

32 Degrees B wrote:
I'll second that request !!

Also, i've searched the internet with no luck. What is the AVERAGE
temp for the first week of March in Mora Sweden? Are we looking at
below or above freezing temps normally??

I have no info to back this up, but I would be amazed if the average
daily temps were above freezing.

Joseph

Old February 15th 06, 03:22 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:
Any word on how snow conditions are looking for the Swedish
Vasaloppet?? Webcam of the start area looks white, but was wondering
what snow depths are like. thanks.

There is also a web camera overlooking downtown Mora at the finish
line:
http://kamera.mora.se/
They also have an archive of several years of the noon photo

Ex. for noon Feb 14 2006:
http://kamera.mora.se/arkiv/kyrkan-s_20060214.jpg
or a smaller version:
http://kamera.mora.se/arkiv/kyrkan_20060214.jpg
(look like lots of snow now, and the 3 km skating track is plowed)

From what I've read most of central Sweden got a big dump of snow
last weekend- it slowed down the lake skating but it's good for skiers!

I think that the weather in Mora would be quite similar to that
in Oslo, maybe a bit colder and drier since it's farther from the ocean.
There is a very detailed daily snow report for Oslo (if you can
read Norwegian) at:

http://www.skiforeningen.no/forem/

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old February 16th 06, 07:10 AM

32 Degrees B kirjoitti:

I'll second that request !!

If you click on "Sn=F6djup" at http://www.smhi.se you'll find a small
map that shows the current snow depth. You won't find either S=E4len or
Mora, but both are located a little bit north of Malung. It would
appear that this year the arrangers won't have to spend millions of
kronor to transport snow (which is a big relief because there
apparently wasn't an =F6re left in the reserve fund).

Also, i've searched the internet with no luck. What is the AVERAGE
temp for the first week of March in Mora Sweden? Are we looking at
below or above freezing temps normally??

Why do you ask? Are you aiming at hitting a wax that is 100% right *on
the average* (like the guy who always put on some Rex blue)?:-)

Seriously, one would expect a slightly below freezing temperature with
a somewhat colder night, but daytime temperature tops will be above
freezing if it's sunny. OTOH it can be so cold you'll need two layers
of underwear or it can be a pure klister day, if the night has been
cloudy, possibly snowing and warm.

Anders

Old February 17th 06, 10:24 AM

Jim Kelley wrote:

Any word on how snow conditions are looking for the Swedish
Vasaloppet?? Webcam of the start area looks white, but was wondering
what snow depths are like. thanks.

I was in Lindvallen last week (week 6), which is an alpine ski resort not
long from there. Excellent snow dephts.

Vasaloppet is a bit lower in altitude, but it seemed quite snow covered when
we passed by going south (heading home). Lots of snow, actually, all the
way to Göteborg, and even farther south. The riwers were covered in ice to.

Re the av. temperatu I think it waries wildly. I believe it was -17C when
we left, but that is really extreme. I would expect -6 to -10 for the area
in February, possibly slightly colder in March.

The resort "Klappen" is close by:
http://www.klappen.se/klappen_templa...am.aspx?id=639

The vasaloppet homepages says it is snowing today, but they seem to expect
it to stop snowing tomorrow.

There is an overview of the tracks in the area and when they have been
tracked he http://firstclass.mora.se/sparinfo/%233759444

I have been to the area 8 times (alpine), and I think this year will be one
of the best snowyears I have experienced.

Regards,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg http://www.madsdydensborg.dk/

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Old February 24th 06, 04:14 PM

It appears that a lot of Sweden is buried in snow,
including places (lakes) where they (skaters) don't want it :-)

They did manage to hold Vikingarännet (80 km Uppsala -Stockholm)
and also the Orsa 200 km race near Mora on Feb 18-19.

There are photos and videos of a group of Dutch skaters
on a 3 day skating vacation led by Swedish skating guide Bo:

http://www.snabelslash.com/bo/?m=2&date=2006-02-17

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:
Skate links:
http://www.dermott.ca/ski/skating.html

Old February 24th 06, 06:40 PM

WAHHHHHHHHHHHoooooooooooooo

Just checked the Vasalopppet website and I'm up to wave 2.

an elite wave birkie skier in wave 2 - tells you how tough the Euro's
are !! yikes.

JK

Old March 1st 06, 11:26 AM

32 Degrees B wrote:
WAHHHHHHHHHHHoooooooooooooo

Just checked the Vasalopppet website and I'm up to wave 2.

an elite wave birkie skier in wave 2 - tells you how tough the Euro's
are !! yikes.

JK

Wether report:
http://www.smhi.se/weather/natvader/...placeId=100103