ski rentals for Tour of Anchorage race

Old February 28th 06, 07:56 AM

Default ski rentals for Tour of Anchorage race

Folks,

I am going to Anchorage this weekend to participate in the tour. Its my
first cross-country ski race. I am very surprised and disappointed to
know that there is hardly any place where i can rent classical style
skis. I checked with REI and Glenn Sports in Anchorage but they either
have skating or backcountry styles. Does anybody have a suggestion as
to where can I rent striding skis in Anchorage? I don't know if I am
going to ski that much next winter so buying is not really an option
(unless I can get a used ski set).

I live in San Jose area in California so if somebody knows a store that
rents out xc-skis, please share this information. I have already
checked with Mermot in Berkeley and Outback Adventures in San Jose but
they are sold out :-(

Any advice is highly appreciated.

-Raj

Old February 28th 06, 04:48 PM

Look up and call Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking (AMH) and Barney's in
Anchorage. They are two stores that might rent the gear, or might know
where to rent it. Good luck.

Old February 28th 06, 08:55 PM

Thanks Camilo. I checked with Barney's and they don't rent skis! AMH
doesn't carry striding skis at all.
I am still hoping to find something locally before I leave for
Anchorage.

BTW, there don't seem to be many options for doing touristy stuff in
winter at this time. I am staying 3 days after the race and hoping to
visit the Denali National Park. Any recommendations for travel guides
for ice climbing or snow-mobiling or dog-sledding?

Old February 28th 06, 09:06 PM

In article . com,
wrote:
Any recommendations for travel guides
for ice climbing or snow-mobiling or dog-sledding?

The ceremonial start of the Iditarod is on Saturday in
downtown Anchorage (the real race starts on Sunday in
Willow). It's a huge circus, but if you're in Anchorage
as a tourist it's a not-to-be missed circus. The
festivities start at 10am.

Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community.
Old March 1st 06, 07:08 AM

I think it would be about 5-6 hours up to Denali and the same back
down. When I drove it it was a beautiful drive, especially heading
north but the weather was clear. If it's low clouds, don't bother, you
wont' have any views at all. I don't believe you'll find much to do in
the park. I don't know if they have any touring trails or not.

If you just want to poke around and drive, and the weather's nice,
drive south along the shoreline on the Seward Highway. It is a
beautiful fjord. Alyeska alpine ski resort is down there -and if
you're in to it the view from the top is spectacular over the fjord and
surrounding mountains. O, and the skiing (downhill alpine or free
heeling) is great. there might be some touring around there too. The
drive down to Seward is 2-3 total from Anchorage and it's a beautiful
drive and beautiful little town. Everyone seems to say Homer is the
place to go, but for my money Seward is a prettier town and closer to
Anchorage. there's a Sealife center (northern aquarium) that is great.
A great overnight trip, imho.

Call the Anchorage convention and visitors bureau, they'll have some
dog sled rides I'd bet. I know folks who have done it, I wouldn't know
though.