Summer skiing (was good snow december time in serre chevalier ??

Old July 13th 03, 01:38 PM
H. R. Bob Hofmann

Default Summer skiing (was good snow december time in serre chevalier ??

"Let Mikey Ski It!" wrote in message ...
H. R. Bob Hofmann wrote:

Mike, I assume you started out somewhere between Rock Cut and Forest
Canyon overlook, those are the two parking places on my topo map of
RMNP. Any better description of the starting point?

Your start at the Rock Cut parking lot. Take the paved hiking path to the
end and go around the rocks on the left to where the snow starts.

If you go, you must post pics.

Mike...

Hi Mike:

Thanx for the response. I won't be in RMNP until July 22 or
thereabouts, so don't plan on taking skiis. I am planning my 19th
climb up Long's Peak for my summer RMNP adventure, but if I get up on
Trail Ridge Rd I will stop at Rock Cut and see what you guys did. I
enjoyed your pix. What kind of a camera do you use? I have a Sony
2.8 mpixel camera I was given in Tokyo a couple of years ago when I
spoke to the Japanese equivalent of Underwriters Labs (UL). It takes
great pictures, but I don't take too many skiing pictures because the
easy skiing I do does not lend itself to very dramatic pictures like
the ones you posted.

Bob Hofmann

Old July 13th 03, 05:25 PM
Let Mikey Ski It!

H. R. Bob Hofmann wrote:

Thanx for the response. I won't be in RMNP until July 22 or
thereabouts, so don't plan on taking skiis. I am planning my 19th
climb up Long's Peak for my summer RMNP adventure, ...

Cool! The normal hiking route to the top looked like it had plenty of snow
on the west-facing rock-alley portion near the top and probably not
passable (I forget what that section is called). If you are taking a
climbing route, you are probably OK, though. The only time I have hiked it
was mumble-mumble years ago when they still had the cables.

.. but if I get up on
Trail Ridge Rd I will stop at Rock Cut and see what you guys did. ...

It is probably best viewed from Fall River Road if that is on your tour.
You get a good sense of the steepness and from near the top of Fall River,
you can get a good overall look.

I enjoyed your pix. What kind of a camera do you use?

Thanks. I used my 6MP Nikon D100 DSLR for those shots. I also often use a 2
MP Nikon Coolpix 775 if I want to go lighter (e.g. mountain biking)

I have a Sony
2.8 mpixel camera I was given in Tokyo a couple of years ago ...

I have had plenty of luck with my 2 MP cameras but the D-100 is more suited
for the task.

Mike...

--
Littleton, Colorado (reply to msaemisch at yahoo dot com)
See my ski photography at: http://PowderDay.us

Measuring the quality of snow Pieter Litchfield Nordic Skiing 13 December 17th 04 06:49 PM
Roller Ski Question Diva Nordic Skiing 24 February 29th 04 06:02 PM
Near fatal ski incident Me Nordic Skiing 22 February 27th 04 02:47 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 07:43 PM
good snow december time in serre chevalier ?? jonathan storey Alpine Skiing 30 August 2nd 03 03:43 AM