Ski school in Les Arcs

Old November 19th 04, 09:07 PM
Pip Luscher

Default Ski school in Les Arcs

I'm going to Les Arcs next year with an effectively novice partner.

I gather that they use the Ski Evolutif system there. Is this standard
or does it have to be booked specifically? How good is it?

We have already booked her lessons (ESF, I think) so we will find out
eventually anyway, but any info would be useful.

--
-Pip
Old November 19th 04, 09:19 PM
Ace

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:07:00 +0000, Pip Luscher

Hey, yet another ukrm reject on here. Hi.

wrote:

I'm going to Les Arcs next year with an effectively novice partner.

I gather that they use the Ski Evolutif system there. Is this standard
or does it have to be booked specifically? How good is it?

Somebody said this earlier this week, but TBH I'd be surprised if they
were still doing so. I know they did so some years back, but it's
pretty much died a death since the more general advent of much shorter
skis all round and the teaching of carving as the first technique,
rather than a nice-to-have later on if you got that far.

One of the regulars here lives down there so should be along shortly
to give the accurate gen.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old November 19th 04, 10:13 PM
Roger Moss

I think the method is done here as a matter of course, but mention it when
booking, just to be sure. It's a sound system which gets new skiers off to a
very quick start and builds confidence.

The only thing to be prepared for in advance is that each time the pupil
steps up to the next ski size (typically twice) there's a sense of having to
start again - not completely, of course, but a lot like putting your normal
skis on again after you've spent a morning on snowblades. Only for novices
it's more pronounced. But if they expect this it won't come as such a
surprise and won't blame themselves.

My daughter felt like this, but stuck with it and really benefited. Having
ice-skated before was a great advantage - she's the only person I know who
DID NOT fall over once on her very first day in ski school.

And of course, Les Arcs is a great place...

Good luck.

RM

Old November 20th 04, 08:38 AM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:07:00 +0000, Pip Luscher
| wrote:
|
| I'm going to Les Arcs next year with an effectively novice partner.
|
| I gather that they use the Ski Evolutif system there. Is this
standard
| or does it have to be booked specifically? How good is it?
|
| Somebody said this earlier this week, but TBH I'd be surprised if they
| were still doing so. I know they did so some years back, but it's
| pretty much died a death since the more general advent of much shorter
| skis all round and the teaching of carving as the first technique,
| rather than a nice-to-have later on if you got that far.
|
| One of the regulars here lives down there so should be along shortly
| to give the accurate gen.

The ESF still do it - at 2000 for example their website mentions ski
evolutif, although you'd hardly know it from their English language
"translation" of that part of the site ;-)

"With the French ski School of Arc 2000, you will try, all the forms of
slip.
The others will be able to be initiated with to parabolic ski, the snow
boarders will misuse the half-pipe and the snow park in the station
which with introduced the snow board in France."

While on the subject on language problems, although I have some good
mates in the Les Arcs ESF, I would also recommend New Generation down in
Peisey for anyone staying down there, and Arcs Aventure in 1800 - they
have some good Anglophone instructors..

Pete
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net SNOWeSCAPE

Old November 21st 04, 10:01 PM
Sue

In message , PG
writes

The others will be able to be initiated with to parabolic ski, the snow
boarders will misuse the half-pipe and the snow park in the station

A boarder friend says that's optimistic:
"It takes loads of practice to really misuse a halfpipe."

--
Sue ];(
Old November 22nd 04, 11:40 AM
John Elgy

Pip Luscher wrote:
I'm going to Les Arcs next year with an effectively novice partner.

I gather that they use the Ski Evolutif system there. Is this standard
or does it have to be booked specifically? How good is it?

We have already booked her lessons (ESF, I think) so we will find out
eventually anyway, but any info would be useful.

My nephew learned to ski with the ESF in Arc 2000 last year and made
realy fast progress. I don't think they used the Ski Evolutif system,
but they did take care to move the pupils between classes to suit their
rate of learning and ended up with confident competent skiers.

John
Old November 22nd 04, 07:01 PM
ash

An excellent British instructor(working in the Alps) said that the ski
evolutif was not really used these days, not since carving skis appeared on
the scene. He certainly didn't reckon it worked that well anyway.