Where to go this weekend? NY/NJ/CT

Old February 22nd 06, 05:41 AM

Default Where to go this weekend? NY/NJ/CT

This weekend my friend and I are planning on going skiing.
Most likely on Saturday.

We live in Long Island, NY, so it would probably have to be something
local.
* Perferably less than 90 minutes (I guess about 70 miles) away. *

He has never skied before, he has not ridden a bike or done anything
really athletic in probably 10-15 years.
He is not that out of shape, but he is not really IN shape either, you
know? Just a average skinny guy.

I have skied once, and while I crashed a lot in the morning, by the
afternoon I was doing better.
-------

I was thinking of going to Hidden Valley, NJ.
That is the place I went to before.

But the problem I am thinking is...there is only 1 hill for beginners
(the other hill is a slope that doesnt really count)
And I remember that one beginner hill as pretty steep at the top part,
so Im worried it might be too much for him. It was pretty scary in the
morning when I tried to go on it.
It took me almost 30 minutes to get down it the first time, but later
on, took only a few minutes.

One reason why I am thinking of Hidden Valley is that they have (when I
went a few years ago) a deal where you get a free group lesson and lift
ticket for the beginner slope for a good price, I am not sure if they
still have it, have to call them.
Obviously he HAS TO take the group lesson, while I should too.

So is Hidden Valley a good place for us, or is something else?
Thanks!

Old February 22nd 06, 10:32 AM

Your friend needs some instruction and a hill with some decent snow.
Don't know about where you could find either of those in your area,
though. Maybe others do.

Old February 22nd 06, 01:57 PM

[...]

www.skidweeb.com - punch in your zipcode and see what's nearby.

Haven't been to Hidden Valley, but you can probably assume that the
farther you get away from the city the less crowded the hill's going to
be. Jack Frost in the Poconos would probably be a good choice - not
sure how long of a drive it is.

Otherwise, a bunny hill is a bunny hill. Sign up for the lessons. If
you can find a place that does the first-timer lesson/lift/gear package
deal at an attractive price, go for it.

//Walt
Old February 22nd 06, 02:01 PM

[...]

Mountain Creek--- hour 15 out of NYC
An other choice would be Catamount about 2+ hours away but would be
colder with better snow conditions.
Belleayre Mountain is not a bad drive 2.5 hours and geared up for beginners
Most of the ski areas have a beginning to ski program with steep discounts.

Old February 22nd 06, 02:21 PM

Mountain Creek--- hour 15 out of NYC

Isnt Mountain Creek right next to Hidden Valley?

Why is it a better choice than Hidden Valley?

An other choice would be Catamount about 2+ hours away but would be
colder with better snow conditions.
Belleayre Mountain is not a bad drive 2.5 hours and geared up for beginners
Most of the ski areas have a beginning to ski program with steep discounts.

4+ hours of driving total in a day is a bit too much for me.
I have to do a lot of driving during the week for work so I want to
minimize it, and my friend wont be able to drive, so its all me.

Thanks

Old February 22nd 06, 03:12 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
Mountain Creek--- hour 15 out of NYC

Isnt Mountain Creek right next to Hidden Valley?

Why is it a better choice than Hidden Valley?

Yes, MC is next to Hidden Valley. MC is much larger and has much more
varied terrain, four mountains vs. one small one.
Depending what level skier you are you may want to drive the extra 45 min.
to go to Hunter Mountain. MC is normally very crowded on weekends and the
snow quality and amount is on the low side. The better snow is at South
Peak the runs are all pretty easy there even though they list them as blacks
they are easy blues. If you decide to go there be aware that it is
snowboarder heaven. Vernon Peak is a mad house during the weekend and
Granite Peak is nice but only has 3 runs if they are all open, and with the
year we have had so far I wouldn't do Granite Peak.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 22nd 06, 03:19 PM

"Walt" wrote in message

[...]

If you are looking for a great beginner mountain go to Montage Mountain in
PA, they have two or three runs if you want something a little more
challenging but for beginner trails you can't beat it. It is a little
further down the road but not too much further than going to MC or Hidden
Valley. Out of HV and MC I'd pick MC, out of MC Montage I'd pick Montage.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old February 22nd 06, 03:22 PM

Depending what level skier you are you may want to drive the extra 45 min.
to go to Hunter Mountain. MC is normally very crowded on weekends and the

I heard Hunter is usually VERY crowded on the weekends.

snow quality and amount is on the low side. The better snow is at South
Peak the runs are all pretty easy there even though they list them as blacks
they are easy blues. If you decide to go there be aware that it is

well he has never skiied, and I have gone once, so we should be on the
very beginner slope. I thnk thats Green? (just looked it up)

snowboarder heaven. Vernon Peak is a mad house during the weekend and
Granite Peak is nice but only has 3 runs if they are all open, and with the
year we have had so far I wouldn't do Granite Peak.

So knowing we have no experience, what Peak do you recommend?

Thanks

Old February 22nd 06, 03:26 PM

Just looked up Montage Mountain.

Unfortunately it is 140 miles from me.
While Mountain Creek is 70 miles from me.

So it looks like MC for me.

Someone told me:
"Take the big gondola, it will take you to the top, look for the green
trail... after exiting the gondola, go with the stream, to the right,
then you will see signs to several trails, go for the green one on the
right... it is nice there, not complicated, simple."

Which trail is this? and is it good?

Thanks