pilot binding - broken yellow pull tab

Old November 2nd 04, 08:21 PM
Wayne Harper

Default pilot binding - broken yellow pull tab

the yellow pull tab on my pilot binding ripped off - just as I thought
it would do the first time I saw how it was designed. can this be
repaired? please tell me that I dont have to buy a set of new
bindings.
-Wayne
Old November 2nd 04, 08:56 PM
Tim Kelley

Wayne,

You can get replacement tabs ... you won't have to buy new bindings.
Catch is ... the tabs are a little tricky to get mounted back in your
binding. Persevere and you'll get the new tabs installed. I'm not
sure about where you live, but good ski shops, like our locals ones,
give out replacement Pilot tabs for free.

Another option is to make your own "tabs" out of perlon nylon cord.
These will last forever and you will never have the broken tab problem
again. Yes - these flimsy Pilot tabs are on the top 5 list of dumbest
ski equipment ideas.

TK

Old November 2nd 04, 09:05 PM
Chris Cline

You don't have to buy new bindings, but you will need
to buy new pull tabs. they're way overpriced, but
nowhere near the cost of new bindings.

I wonder if there are differences in quality in these
things. I have one pair of Pilot bindings where the
tabs broke within 2 months, and another where the same
tabs have lasted 2 years. hmmm.

Chris C
SLC, UT

--- Wayne Harper wrote:

the yellow pull tab on my pilot binding ripped off -
just as I thought
it would do the first time I saw how it was
designed. can this be
repaired? please tell me that I dont have to buy a
set of new
bindings.
-Wayne

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com

Old November 3rd 04, 07:49 AM
Laurent Duparchy

again. Yes - these flimsy Pilot tabs are on the top 5 list of dumbest
ski equipment ideas.

TK

I thought it was top 1... What are the others 4 ?
Old November 3rd 04, 07:28 PM
Tim Kelley

Laurent,

You are right ... Salomon Pilot binding tabs would hold the number 1
bad design honor.

As far as the remaining 4 of the top 5? What do people think?

My nominations:

- the "kangaroo poles", forgot the manufacturer - they were bent
aluminum poles that were supposed to whip back after you compressed
them and shoot you forward.

- the big rubber 1st generation Swix paddle grips - they were super
clumsy and basically doubled the weight of your poles

- the old Concept II carbon fiber poles that had the basket that was
part of the pole. If you broke the basket - you had to buy a new pole

- the first Generation Fischer skate-cuts - they were way slower than
straight-cut skis (Fischer discontinued them quickly, and to save face,
for now, has brought out the "reduced" skate cut skis)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some classic skidiot (ski-idiot) designs.
Anyone else?

TK

Old November 3rd 04, 07:50 PM
Rob Bradlee

--- Tim Kelley wrote:

Laurent,

You are right ... Salomon Pilot binding tabs would hold the number 1
bad design honor.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some classic skidiot (ski-idiot) designs.
Anyone else?

Javelin tip skis. Made the ski want to track outward when snow plowing
or turning. Many a face plant...

Rob B.

Old November 3rd 04, 08:27 PM
Wayne Harper

Thanks, its good to know I wont have to get a new binding
It's actually lasted several years which is longer than I expected
Old November 3rd 04, 10:15 PM
Tim Akers

How about Look Contact bindings.
Is there even one pair still intact out there?

Tim

Old November 4th 04, 06:44 AM
Scott Elliot

"Tim Akers" wrote in message
news:000901c4c1f1$dcce4040$6401a8c0@oxfordnetworks .net...
How about Look Contact bindings.
Is there even one pair still intact out there?

Tim

I used the Contact bindings and considered them better than the Salomon SNS
bindings I had been using before. They had a mechanical hinge instead of
the flexible plastic that was either part of the binding in the SNS system
or part of the boot in previous systems such as NN 50 mm and Adidas.

Rotefella then came up with a better idea when they put the pin of the hinge
on the boot and made the clasp of the hinge part of the binding. This was
an improvement in that the rubber bumper was more efficient and more durable
and the attachment of the boot to the binding more secure and easier to
engage. Salomon then copied the NNN structure for their Profile bindings.

I consider the Look Contact bindings to be an incremental improvement rather
than a bad idea. However the plastic rubber bumpers in the Contact system
that were always either breaking down or getting lost were not very well
thought out.

Scott

Old November 4th 04, 07:20 PM
Tim Kelley

I remembered another ski product with its flaws - the original Adidas
ski bindings with the tiny little metal pin you had to thread through
the tiny little holes in the binding and the tab off the front of your
boot. When the hole in your boot iced up ... you had big problems. I
remember at the start of the Jr. race at Holmenkollen once in the mid
70's ... Marty Hall ended up helping me at the start line. He was
struggling to get the pin through my boot. The starter said 'GO' and
the whole stadium was watching while I stood at the starting line and
Marty struggled with my boot. Finally, 5-6 seconds after my start
time, Martly muscled the pin into place and I took off ... embarassed
by the hoots of the crowd, but relieved. One thing about the bindings
though ... I don't think there has ever been a lighter binding made.

Marty - if you ever read this ... If I never said it then ... "Thanks
for helping me get off the starting line!" You were the best!