Absurd & Sad

Old September 17th 03, 03:23 PM
scottabe

Default Absurd & Sad

in article , Mike Yetsko at
wrote on 9/17/03 5:42 AM:

I agree...

Just one entry in the kill file and it's mostly fixed. Except for the
people
who get 'drawn in', but most just ignore it.

Another amoral asshole ignores the crimes of his friends and blames the
victim for telling the truth.

I came into this group, and my very first post was a response to
something about ski boots. I answered. I was immediately a target
for the guy, so I stopped posting for a while. It wasn't worth the
hassle. Then I killfiled the guy, and just ignore him. He's not worth
it.

Another liar, another lie. No surprise this asshole fits in here. No
matter how vile the behavior of his friends, he's never had a word of
criticism.
If you think defamation is a sport, you'll fit right in.

Old September 17th 03, 03:57 PM
MoonMan

In , lal_truckee typed:
Alan Baker wrote:

From my own experience, if you're a half-way decent skier on
straights your reaction to shapes will be: "My God! This is how skis
are *supposed* to behave!"

Just edge 'em, and they turn.

That's how skis have ALWAYS behaved. Well, at least since Howard got
the glue right in his metal lams.

Just edge 'em, and they turn.

that's 'cos all skis are shaped, the new ones are just more extreme.

Problem was, most people couldn't figure it out until the ski
companies started producing training-wheel skis.

Shaped skis: edge 'em, and they turn, even if you don't know what
you're doing.

But the ride on training wheels is nothing like the ride on a chopped
hard-tail with a looong fork extension.

I used to swear I wouldn't use carvers, Then I started skiing slalom,
Courses are now set for carvers and it is not possible to be competitive on
the older skis.

now I love them, and my old perfectly good Salomon f9.1 203's (power 9) sit
at the back of my garage

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old September 17th 03, 04:20 PM
pigo

"MoonMan" wrote in message
(snipped)
now I love them, and my old perfectly good Salomon f9.1 203's (power

9) sit
at the back of my garage

There's part of the problem, F9? I have been on Equipe 9*** (9100 the
latest) series for a long time. 2s's. The F9 was the recreational
version wasn't it. Kind of a "forgiving" turd. I think that the
transition would be much easier off of those. When I tried
"recreational" models I couldn't get response from them either. They
just did what they did.

I will say, though, now that I don't care that much about skiing, and
usually only go when people visit (or the occasional powderday), I
wouldn't mind having a pair of those "training wheels" to go ride on
without putting out the effort for those social days. I can't bring
myself to put out any cash for them though.

pigo

Old September 17th 03, 04:36 PM
MoonMan

In , pigo typed:
"MoonMan" wrote in message
(snipped)
now I love them, and my old perfectly good Salomon f9.1 203's (power
9) sit at the back of my garage

There's part of the problem, F9? I have been on Equipe 9*** (9100 the
latest) series for a long time. 2s's. The F9 was the recreational
version wasn't it. Kind of a "forgiving" turd. I think that the
transition would be much easier off of those. When I tried
"recreational" models I couldn't get response from them either. They
just did what they did.

The F9.1 was was The GS ski without the prolink. Forgiving? No in fact the
most unforgiving ski I have ever owned, but did it go quick!

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old September 17th 03, 04:40 PM
lal_truckee

MoonMan wrote:

I used to swear I wouldn't use carvers, Then I started skiing slalom,
Courses are now set for carvers and it is not possible to be competitive on
the older skis.

now I love them, and my old perfectly good Salomon f9.1 203's (power 9) sit
at the back of my garage

You are still allowed to ski whatever ski you want - some freedom
remains, even in resort skiing.

You don't have to ski just one pair. Pull out the old skis and give them
a whirl, for the hell of it. Borrow, beg, steal^H^H^H^H^H buy multiple
different pairs and ski them all. Fill up the quiver. Decide which to
ski at any given hour by snow texture, freshness, angle of the moon,
anything - variety is spice.

(I agree if you want to be competitive in the race course, you have to
go with current race skis, for a variety of reasons; but for the rest of
skiing your only comnpetition is yourself, so every ski is a winner.)

Old September 17th 03, 04:42 PM
MoonMan

In , lal_truckee typed:

You don't have to ski just one pair. Pull out the old skis and give
them a whirl, for the hell of it. Borrow, beg, steal^H^H^H^H^H buy
multiple different pairs and ski them all. Fill up the quiver. Decide
which to ski at any given hour by snow texture, freshness, angle of
the moon, anything - variety is spice.

I wish, that's the problem of living in England, unless you drive the
airlines charge you £15 ( $22 ) per pair of skis (each way with the low
cost airlines). so unless you're driving (which I will be in January) it's
only really viable to take one pair (I usually hide my SnowBlades so I
suppose that's two pairs).

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old September 17th 03, 06:19 PM
Sam Seiber

Walt wrote:
The Vertigo is a good ski, but it comes in various stiffness/performance
levels. I don't know where the GT is on the scale - the usual
qualifiers are G20/G30, G21/G31, or G2/G3/G4 depending on the model
year. The 2/20/21 is an intermedaite flex that's good for soft snow but
washes out on Eastern Firm. The 3/30/31 has much better edge hold but
may be a little stiff for the soft stuff - or not depending on how you
ski. The G4 is a fat powder ski that I've never had an opportunity to
try. Don't know about the Vertigo GT...

I have learned a bit more about the GT's. A Volkl rep told me they are
a European ski. That would explain why I was getting so many Russian
sites from a google search. I don't know how/why these things got to
Colorado. He said good things about them, like a good Volkl rep would.
They have the same cut as the G2's, but I assume the guts of the GT's
are different. It looks like I will wait a few ski days before I
give them a try.
I think my best move on opening day is ski about a half day with my
old gear. Then start using my new boots. Way back when I first started
using my Salomon SX91E boots, I remember it took about 4 days for me
to get things tweaked before things settled in. I think I need to
do the same thing with the new boots. Once I get me working fine
with the new boots/old skis, then that would be a good time to put
the new twigs under the new boots.

--
//-Walt
//

Sam "Takin' it a step at a time" Seiber
Old September 17th 03, 06:46 PM
Vern93

In article ,
Sam Seiber wrote:

ObSki: With the new gear
I picked up this year, I hope I can learn how to control my self
as I re-learn how to ski on the new gear.

Hi Sam,

As long as your throwing all that archiac junk away, rather than step on
the "slippery slope" of mid fat ski technology, you should just jump all
the way in and take up SNOWBOARDING.

I don't think I'll be ruffling any feathers when I say that, alpine
skiing is a dying sport and snowboarding is where it's at "dude."

Sorry, I'm just kidding, I got boarding on the brain as I just made my
first set of reservations to Utah this year.

Here, I'll even contribute something useful

http://www.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/saishin-e.html

while you stare at this, keep repeating that "snowboarding rocks, skiing
sucks." The wheels don't really move, and don't forget to scroll on
down.

Dave

Free Atla! Free Aspin!
Old September 17th 03, 07:00 PM
Walt

Sam Seiber wrote:

I think my best move on opening day is ski about a half day with my
old gear. Then start using my new boots. Way back when I first started
using my Salomon SX91E boots, I remember it took about 4 days for me
to get things tweaked before things settled in. I think I need to
do the same thing with the new boots. Once I get me working fine
with the new boots/old skis, then that would be a good time to put
the new twigs under the new boots.

PREDICTION: You'll be sorry that you waited.
I think you're gonna really like your new sticks.

--
//-Walt
//