Absurd & Sad

Old September 17th 03, 04:38 AM
Richard Henry

Default Absurd & Sad

"Terd Fartingmor" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:50:19 -0700, "Richard Henry"
wrote this crap:

The recent outrage is the final straw. This goon is not worth the
lowly entertainment value he provides. I will be the first to start
ignoring everything he says. The only problem is that EVERYBODY
has to do it. Since Mike wanted to make this a more civil place, I
propose that in his memory, we do just that and leave bob to his
own company. What does everyone else say?

Don't tell me what to do, dumbass!

Shouldn't that be (_?_)?

Old September 17th 03, 06:28 AM
Sam Seiber

Alan Baker wrote:
Take a good look around and I think you'll see that there is one source
for all the nonsense. I'll let you judge for yourself.

And provided you use your killfile judiciously, you really can talk
skiing in here. Or if you prefer, there's a moderated newsgroup where no
posts that aren't about skiing are permitted.

I like to use an old version of netscape for news viewing. I have no
killfile, I just have to use self control. ObSki: With the new gear
I picked up this year, I hope I can learn how to control my self
as I re-learn how to ski on the new gear. I have never skied anything
but a straight ski. In around 30 days, I will be testing out them
new fangled shaped skis. I picked up some 168 Volkl Vertigo GT
twigs. Best I can tell, I will be learning how to drive a "mid fat".

Sam "Looking for my learners permit. Where do I pick it up?" Seiber
Old September 17th 03, 07:14 AM
Alan Baker

In article ,
Sam Seiber wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
Take a good look around and I think you'll see that there is one source
for all the nonsense. I'll let you judge for yourself.

And provided you use your killfile judiciously, you really can talk
skiing in here. Or if you prefer, there's a moderated newsgroup where no
posts that aren't about skiing are permitted.

I like to use an old version of netscape for news viewing. I have no
killfile, I just have to use self control. ObSki: With the new gear
I picked up this year, I hope I can learn how to control my self
as I re-learn how to ski on the new gear. I have never skied anything
but a straight ski. In around 30 days, I will be testing out them
new fangled shaped skis. I picked up some 168 Volkl Vertigo GT
twigs. Best I can tell, I will be learning how to drive a "mid fat".

Sam "Looking for my learners permit. Where do I pick it up?" Seiber

From my own experience, if you're a half-way decent skier on straights
your reaction to shapes will be: "My God! This is how skis are
*supposed* to behave!"

Just edge 'em, and they turn.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old September 17th 03, 12:42 PM
Mike Yetsko

I agree...

Just one entry in the kill file and it's mostly fixed. Except for the
people
who get 'drawn in', but most just ignore it.

I came into this group, and my very first post was a response to
something about ski boots. I answered. I was immediately a target
for the guy, so I stopped posting for a while. It wasn't worth the
hassle. Then I killfiled the guy, and just ignore him. He's not worth
it.

Mike

Old September 17th 03, 01:58 PM
Chester Bullock

Mike Yetsko wrote:

I agree...

Just one entry in the kill file and it's mostly fixed. Except for the
people
who get 'drawn in', but most just ignore it.

I came into this group, and my very first post was a response to
something about ski boots. I answered. I was immediately a target
for the guy, so I stopped posting for a while. It wasn't worth the
hassle. Then I killfiled the guy, and just ignore him. He's not worth
it.

Did your ski boot question get answered to your satisfaction?

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, quality website design and programming

Old September 17th 03, 02:40 PM
Walt

Alan Baker wrote:
Sam Seiber wrote:

In around 30 days, I will be testing out them
new fangled shaped skis. I picked up some 168 Volkl Vertigo GT
twigs. Best I can tell, I will be learning how to drive a "mid fat".

Sam "Looking for my learners permit. Where do I pick it up?" Seiber

From my own experience, if you're a half-way decent skier on straights
your reaction to shapes will be: "My God! This is how skis are
*supposed* to behave!"

Just edge 'em, and they turn.

Just don't edge them too much, at least at first. My first turn on
shapes resulted in a faceplant. My skiing partner's first attempt
resulted in a 180 degree turn with him facing straight up the hill.
It's very easy to overturn a shaped ski if you're used to the old style.

The best way to start out is to find a reasonably empty easy slope and
then try to make the widest longest arc turn you can. It'll probably be
a lot tighter than you intended. Take it easy, see what they do and move
up from there. Within an hour you'll be back on your usual terrain
wondering why it used to seem challenging.

The Vertigo is a good ski, but it comes in various stiffness/performance
levels. I don't know where the GT is on the scale - the usual
qualifiers are G20/G30, G21/G31, or G2/G3/G4 depending on the model
year. The 2/20/21 is an intermedaite flex that's good for soft snow but
washes out on Eastern Firm. The 3/30/31 has much better edge hold but
may be a little stiff for the soft stuff - or not depending on how you
ski. The G4 is a fat powder ski that I've never had an opportunity to
try. Don't know about the Vertigo GT...

--
//-Walt
//
Old September 17th 03, 02:44 PM
pigo

"Alan Baker" wrote in message
In article ,
Sam Seiber wrote:

Sam "Looking for my learners permit. Where do I pick it up?" Seiber

From my own experience, if you're a half-way decent skier on straights
your reaction to shapes will be: "My God! This is how skis are
*supposed* to behave!"

Just edge 'em, and they turn.

From my limited experience, they'll even turn when you don't want them
to. Out in a big open field with a consistent fall line, that's one
thing. I found that when you want a "touch" or minor direction change,
they still want to go all the way around. The problem I had/have feels
like so much snow building up under the shovel and pushing it across the
hill even when you don't want it.

pigo