Absurd & Sad

Old September 19th 03, 07:27 PM
Richard Henry

Default Absurd & Sad

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Sam Seiber wrote:

Let Mikey Ski It! wrote:

Don't mention it.

Gee, unless I remember wrong, I don't recall mentioning it.
Crap, after pop died a year ago, I gained yet 2 more pair of
sorta modern straight skis. The kicker is I also have a pair of
real wood skis with *screw on* metal edges. Those twigs go with
the *leather* boots. Now, if I could find what ever was used
for the base on those old wood twigs, I may be tempted to give
them ONE lap down Loveland. Back in the 1950's, my daddy used
those twigs to pack down some of the runs at Loveland, for a
free tow ticket for the rest of the day. I guess that was far
prior to what we now know as a Pisten Bulley. I have no idea of
what was used to "plastic coat" the base of skis of that era.
I know them to be something like 210cm real wood Gresvig skis.

It would be a kick to get a lap out of them.

Are there any readers here old enough to know what was applied
to the base of wood skis? Can it be purchaced anymore?
I know that whatever the base was, it is real thin. The screw
on edges are flush with the wood. Whatever was on the bases was
thin.

Sam "looking for ideas" Seiber

Pine tar was torched into bare wood; but my 50+ year old wood skis have
some sort of manufactured base - be sure you have bare wood (or wood
with tar residue) before torching on the pine tar. I imagine you can
find pine tar around if you really look.

That just created the base/protected the wood - you still have to prep
and wax for conditions.

Also check all those screws holding the edges on - if any are loose or
high, you need to reset them.

Back when real skis had hardwood bottoms and screws holding the edges, there
was a product called TeyTape (or similar) that could be stuck to the bottom.
It covered up all the rock scars and screwheads and could hold wax.

Finally check any leather binding parts, and replace as necessary - mine
are shot - I wouldn't trust them for a second; but my newer beartrap
toes /cable heels are probably as good as ever; if that's what you have,
clean them and lube them and see what happenss. If you have a longthong
it probably needs replacing. Don't forget that in those days we broke
our lower legs rather than our knees, so be prepared.

I bought a pair of longthongs on clearance sale from a ski shop in Potsdam
NY in the late 60's. The owner wanted to make sure I knew the risks. Put
them on my Toni Sailer fiberglss 208 DH skis, with the little tiny toe piece
(forgot the manufacturer - Cubco?). The boots were second-hand leather
double-shell laceups. Sprained my ankle the first week when I did a header
over a waterbar hidden in flat light.

Trivia question - what boot manufacturer used the slogan "Are you still
lacing while others are racing?"?

Old September 19th 03, 08:20 PM
The Real Bev

TCS wrote:

Yep, I *really* still have my 8 track *recorder*. I even still have
a few tapes that play.

That's impressive. A few day ago someone posted that they had video tapes and
no longer has a VCR to play them.

Buy a broken one at a yard sale for under $5. Replace all the rubber
(kits available by mail). You can't do this with new lightweight units,
they're made of crap.

In my case, I have lots of reel-to-reel tapes and no machine to play them on
(including a rarity with Dave Guard and The Whiskeyhill Singers.

We've got hundreds of pre-recorded classical tapes that we'll never use
again. Anybody who might want to buy them (or take them for free in
exchange for making CD copies) wants a list. I'll die before I make such
a list. Impasse.

It's tough to get old. Sigh.

Tougher not to.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 19th 03, 08:32 PM
bdubya

Sam Seiber wrote:

Let Mikey Ski It! wrote:

[...]

Kofflach? I used to occasionally get some use out of my grandfather's
Kofflachs (and shorty skis with cubcos), until I outgrew them. Got a
few odd looks from the lifties (this was in the '80s).

bw