Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider

Old October 1st 03, 06:47 AM
Brett

Default Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider

My current boots, 2001-2002 Salomon Dialogues, pinch the front of my ankles,
towards the inside/arch... I ride 15 degrees front and 9 degrees back, toed
out to keep an upright stance... But after about 2 hours in the boots, I'm
ripping them off in severe pain. It feels like they are too soft and are
transfering the pressure of the binding, Ride Team EX, to my ankle... I'm
an ex slalom skier and have a tendency to beat on my boots by using alot of
knee angulation. The guys in the ski shops dropped dead when they say me
flex a 2002-2003 Salamon Crossmax 10.0 ski boot.

Any pointers? Other than the pinching, the boots are great. But from what
I am hearing from the guyns in the shops, someone of my size (6'2", 195 lbs)
should be in a stiff boot. I'm an advanced beginner and will be progressing
through to Advanced Intermediate this year. Very quick to catch on as I
grew up on snow and on skateboards...Would like to eliminate the pinching
and have been considering modifying the boots to make them stiffer.

So what do the experts on the group say? Any advice for a tall, agressive
boarder? If it means anything, I have a size 11.5 foot and ride a Ride
Mountain board.

Would like to move to a narrower board this year as well but will probably
need some sort of riser to keep heels and toes from catching...

Sierra Rider

Old October 1st 03, 01:28 PM
Tiburon27

Any pointers? Other than the pinching, the boots are great.
This statement proves that the boots are not in fact great. Aside from
playing with stance angles, binding strap setup etc, you may have to take
the plunge into buying *more comfortable boots*
What about going all retro and hooking up a hard-boot setup?
Maybe not cranking down on your ankle straps?
I wish you luck becasue footpain can kill a good day of riding.

Old October 1st 03, 02:24 PM
Mike T

What about going all retro and hooking up a hard-boot setup?

If you're looking to carve or do all -mountain riding this may be the
answer for you. I personally find my Raichle hard boots to be more
comfortable than any soft boot I've worn. Most of that is due to the
heat-moldable ThermoFlex liners. Thermoflex or Intuition heat-moldable
liners are in a completely different league than most of the other heat
moldable liners about there - they actually work! This will allow you
to get on a board of pretty much any width you want, as well. In
addition to narrower freeride boars it opens up the world of alpine
boards and hybrids - for example, the Donek Axis, Coiler All-Mountain,
and Prior 4x4.

If you don't want hard boots... IMHO the 3 most important things in a
soft boot are fit, fit, and fit. Most of the brands out there tend to
fit a certain shape of boot. I definitely have Salomon feet. If
yours are pinching part of your foot you might want to try another
brand. If you think they're simply not stiff enough, but you like the
Salomon fit, try a Malamute. It's the stiffest two-piece (separate
liner) soft boots I've ever come across. (I own the 2001-02 in that
boot, although I use my hard boots more often)

Mike T

Old October 1st 03, 04:36 PM
Switters

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:24:20 GMT, "Mike T" allegedly
wrote:

IMHO the 3 most important things in a soft boot are fit, fit, and fit.

Ha! Nice. I'll put that in the FAQ.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old October 1st 03, 04:37 PM
Jason Watkins

Well, if you like the fit of Salomon boots, there's the Malamutes. I'm
using them, and know a couple other folks using them as well. For the
most part, we love them. Stiff yet cozy. I've also found that getting
the right "snug" on the upper boot cuff can make a difference. If
you're in the habit of lacing the upper cuff loose that might be part
of it.

You'll have to translate PSIA for me, so I don't know what you mean by
knee angulation.

Also, I don't remember that specific binding, but most Ride bindings
I've seen use metal heelcups. If you really power you foot and ankle
around, maybe going with a binding that has a little flex to it would
fit with you better. I had sore ankles when I used metal heelcup
bindings. Switching to salomon bindings that use a polymer heelcup
fixed it. No real loss in response either.
Old October 1st 03, 09:07 PM
Arvin Chang

Hey Brett... I think I "might" know what is happening as I had a
similar problem at least with the Green/Black dialogues (02-03)... I
had the Orange/Black ones too (01-02?) but they dug into my shins and
I traded them in. I had severe pinching pain in front of my ankle on
the top and sides near my arch. It always starts after a few hours
(right around lunch). Turns out there is this tough piece of
semi-elastic fabric in the liner that goes across the sides of the
liner right in front of your ankle. It's purpose is to help control
heel lift I think... however, if you are a big knee bender like me...
that piece of tough fabric start digging in a LOT into your foot (if
you remove your foot and take off a sock you will see the impression
it leave). My solution to this was to just take a scissors and cut
this part out. That helps a LOT.

However, after 2 pairs of Salmons and talking to several other
people... I've decided that Salomon boots just aren't very durable...
they break down in stiffness very quickly and your heel/ankle begins
to lift... it's a particular problem for me because I have narrow/feet
ankles... I got a pair of DCShoes at the end of last season as I'm
told they last forever.

Old October 2nd 03, 06:18 AM
My Name

I would suggest trying on some different (non Salomon) boots. Salomon boots
are a love hate relationship, they either fit your feet like a glove, or
they put you in foot pain misery, there's no inbetween with salomons.

I personally can't wear salomons, after 15 minutes in the boots my feet are
screaming.

Go the store, and start trying stuff on, leave it on as long as you can,
walk around in it, tighten a binding down on it, do whatever you can to
simulate riding pressure points. Some boots just don't interface well with
some bindings. I use Ride bindings as well (SPI), and I have a pair of
Burton Zones that I rode for 3 seasons which were awesome, now I ride a pair
of Ride Neos which are nice as well but probably not stiff enough for you,
sometimes of benefit is buying boots & bindings from the same MFG as they
will design their boots & bindings to interface with eachother.

Ask the store folk to reccommend some stiff boots (other than salomons). I
will refrain from making any reccommendations as boots are a totally
individual experience and what I like, you may abhor. Consider some
superfeet insoles too, they're always a nice addition if you've got the
money.

I have a size 10 boot and use Palmer Powerlink risers for both the added
leverage and decreased heel/toe drag (I can really lay a board down to the
point I'm turning uphill at the end of my turns). The added leverage makes
my edge to edge transitions faster, but even with the risers and 20+ degree
angles I can still get drag (which is why I'm considering adding an alpine
hardboot setup to my gear), don't want to go much more on the binding angles
because it will sacrifice my terrain park and switch rideability.

Good luck

-Tom
AASI 187640

"Brett" wrote in message
My current boots, 2001-2002 Salomon Dialogues, pinch the front of my

ankles,
towards the inside/arch... I ride 15 degrees front and 9 degrees back,

toed
out to keep an upright stance... But after about 2 hours in the boots,

I'm
ripping them off in severe pain. It feels like they are too soft and are
transfering the pressure of the binding, Ride Team EX, to my ankle... I'm
an ex slalom skier and have a tendency to beat on my boots by using alot

of

---

Old October 2nd 03, 02:12 PM
Mike T

Consider some
superfeet insoles too, they're always a nice addition if you've got

the
money.

I'll second that! I have one pair I move between my hard boots and
soft and they do help a lot.

Old October 6th 03, 08:55 AM
Brett

Hi Arvin,
Well, It seems I've found someone who rides like me and knows EXACTLY what I
am talking about.
I have a low instep so cranking up the boots to keep my heal in the pocket
has been an issue, but never in ski boots.
But in the the Salomon Dialogues, I'm running for the lodge after about 3
hours on the slope tryingto rip the boots off my feet...
And like you, I am a big knee bender.

I'll probably take your advice in finding that little elastic frabic and
cutting it out. I can resolve the heal lift issues, if any should arise,
in other ways.

After one season, I've already found that the Salomon boots are softer, or
are softer than at the beginning of the season. They seem to break down
fast.
Like you, I've been asking around and several shops have pointed out a
couple of DC Shoes boots that should fit my needs. I'm waiting for the
shops
to get their inventory in so I can try on as many boots as possible to avoid
the same mistake.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not wierd in believing my boots are the
cause. Too many shops wanted to sell me new boots and bindings!!!
Going with a binding with a polymer heal cup probably won't do as I'm as
bruttal on bindings as boots. I prefer the metall and carbon fiber heal
cups...

Which DC Shoes boots dod you go with?

I'll let you know how it goes, here on the group, so others can benefit...

Brett

m...

Old October 6th 03, 09:04 AM
Brett

Tom,

Everyone has experience that may be beneficial to others.. I have no
problems with people
giving their opinins on particular products and models... I di plan on
looking at the Ride boots coming out this year as they
sem to have put alot of work into them... Many new models???

I swear by the Superfeet insoles!!! They're in every book I use. The shop
guy placed them in my new Salomon ski boots to
tweak the fit and I will never take them out. They took a boot that was
just a bit too short to an absolutely perfect fit. And that comes
from skiing over 31 years in about a dozen boots.

What do you mean that you're considering adding an alpine hardboot setup to
your gear?

After this year, I'll probably be picking up a second, narrower board, that
is more versatile. With the Palmer risers... Which means
looking at a gear made to ride parks, etc but built to handle my size...
Any suggestions?