Tour of Anchorage

Old February 26th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Tour of Anchorage

I'm traveling to Anchorage to ski the 50K Tour this weekend and have a
bunch of questions.

What is the course like? I've never skied the course and don't know
what to expect. According to the topo map, the course is somewhat
hilly for 10-20K, then pretty much flat. What topo maps don't show
are the hundrends of little hills on a course. I'm also kind of
perplexed out by the existence of a 40K freestyle race, is that first
10K so trecherous that they created new distance just to avoid it?

How can I wax my skis? I am traveling on Thrursday and don't want to
have to bring my entire wax collection and waxing equipment. I'd also
like to try out a few segments of the trail before race day, so even
if the forecast doesn't change much between Wednesday and Sunday, my
skis would still be less than optimal. Also, can we expect humid
conditions there because of the proximity to the ocean, regardless of
the temperature?

Are there any special considerations for flying with skis? I have a
canvas ski bag and can pad my skis and polls with extra clothing, but
is that enough, or do I need a hard-shell ski case?

Thanks,
Jon

Old February 26th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
DJ

On Feb 25, 5:47 pm, wrote:
I'm traveling to Anchorage to ski the 50K Tour this weekend and have a
bunch of questions.

What is the course like? I've never skied the course and don't know
what to expect. According to the topo map, the course is somewhat
hilly for 10-20K, then pretty much flat. What topo maps don't show
are the hundrends of little hills on a course. I'm also kind of
perplexed out by the existence of a 40K freestyle race, is that first
10K so trecherous that they created new distance just to avoid it?

I've done it once, and skied, run and bicycled portions of the trail
recreationally several other times.

The 40 K is identical to the 50 K except that it avoids the first 10 K
(see below). I really think it was developed to make it more of a
citizen's race, to increase participation and give an alternative for
those who can't or don't want to do the full 50 and /or don't want to
do the fairly tough first 10 K.

If you're a real "downhill-phobe" like some XC skiers are, that would
be a good reason to do the 40. Me, this year I'm doing the 40 instead
of the 50, mainly because I'm not in great shape and still want to go
down there with some friends to ski (we're in Fairbanks). The
alternative, for me, would be to do nothing, because I think the 50
would be too much and not fun for me in the condition I'm in. I
feel a little let down because of that. I'm not a good racer, but it
is fun to do the whole 50.

Roughly it goes like this for the 50K:

the first 10 K are on the "Spencer Loop" which is pretty hilly. I
think there's a profile available. Of course the last part of that 10
k is downhill. My personal opinion is that it is not a particularly
grueling or technically difficult 10 K, but it is significant, and you
don't want to completely spend yourself because...

The next 35 K are on city bike paths - one called the Chester Creek
Trail, the other, the Coastal Trail (there might be others, but those
are the two that come to mind). This 35 K is really pretty much
flat. There are some tiny ups and downs, but really pretty much a
V2. But without hills, there's no free ride at all.

The last 5 K is in the Kincaid Park XC ski area and there'll be hills
again. I understand that the route changes on this portion somewhat
every year, but my memory is that it is much more moderate than the
Spencer Loop portion, but after 35K of V-2'ing, it was a little tough
for me, mentally and physically. The finish is in the Kincaid
"stadium" area with about 50 yards slightly downhill to the finish -
for good vanity technique free skating and whatnot.

Again, this is rough, but techically the first 10 k is definitely the
toughest, both up and down.

The race course is fun because it goes through the city. Excellent
enthusiastic high school-sponsored feed stations. A lot of fun.

How can I wax my skis? I am traveling on Thrursday and don't want to
have to bring my entire wax collection and waxing equipment. I'd also
like to try out a few segments of the trail before race day, so even
if the forecast doesn't change much between Wednesday and Sunday, my
skis would still be less than optimal. Also, can we expect humid
conditions there because of the proximity to the ocean, regardless of
the temperature?

I really can't advise you on conditions. It can be warm and melty,
cold and windy, and anything in between. I wouldn't be surprised with
anything between 0F and 40F.

You might call Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking (AMH). I don't live in
Anchorage, but from my experience, they seem the most knowledgable
about skiing, waxing, and local conditions.

There is also a Ski Association of Anchorage web site with ski
conditions.

I don't know what to tell you about waxing. I drive to Anchorage so I
just bring all my stuff. Again, if I were in your position, I'd call
either the Tour people or more likely, AMH, to ask questions and get
advice. Heck, AMH might have a race prep deal that might be worth
while to a visiting skier.

Call your hotel and ask about facilities, some accomodate Tour
visitors for waxing. You might also email the Tour people - in my
experience they're good at getting back to you and very helpful. They
might have some waxing facilities set up, I don't know. The race,
although big, really does have a good personal touch.

For pre-skiing, I recommend two things: first go out to the Spencer
Loop. The access is off of Abbot Road or at Service High School.
It's worth skiing that 10 K before hand to get an idea of the
technical and pacing issues. Plus, it's just a nice, fun to ski
trail. You can also go to Kincaid Park and ski backwards along the
course for a few K to see what the end will be like.

You can access the Chester Creek Trail from various points and the
Coastal Trail from downtown Anchorage. Almost any city map will help
decipher this for you, or, again, ask at AMH. I'm sure there's other
helpful stores, but that's the one I tend to visit when I need advice
or to pick up sundries when I'm in Anchorage.

Are there any special considerations for flying with skis? I have a
canvas ski bag and can pad my skis and polls with extra clothing, but
is that enough, or do I need a hard-shell ski case?

Hopefully others can advise you on that. I've traveled a few times
with my skis and I just have a padded soft ski bag, and add additional
padding with clothing.

Thanks,
Jon

Have fun, it sounds like good conitions this year.

Dan

Old February 26th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
DJ

Hopefully others can advise you on that. I've traveled a few times
with my skis and I just have a padded soft ski bag, and add additional
padding with clothing.

One big PS on the traveling: be sure to put your poles in some sort of
tube. Most people I know go to a carpet store and get a core tube
from a roll of carpet and cut it to length. I happen to have a
telescoping fishing rod case that is perfect for a pair of poles. It
will not only protect your poles, but provide some rigidity in the ski
bag, thus helping to protect your skis. If you don't have a bag big
enough for this, buy a bigger bag.

Old February 26th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Andrew Lee

Jon Faust wrote:
I'm traveling to Anchorage to ski the 50K Tour this weekend and have a
bunch of questions.

What is the course like? I've never skied the course and don't know
what to expect. According to the topo map, the course is somewhat
hilly for 10-20K, then pretty much flat. What topo maps don't show
are the hundrends of little hills on a course. I'm also kind of
perplexed out by the existence of a 40K freestyle race, is that first
10K so trecherous that they created new distance just to avoid it?

The course starts out at the high school and traverses some easy rolling and
flat terrain at the Hillside trail system to the start of Spencer Loop (my
favorite trail in town) at about 4-5 km in. The first part of Spencer Loop
is the longest climb of the race, with an elevation gain of 105 meters (110
if you include all the gain - there's a little downhill midway up) in a bit
over 2 km. Thats about 5% grade, good V1 terrain, and really not too
difficult. Then you have a good downhill, a short uphill, another downhill
and short uphill, and then the final long downhill off of the loop. You
then traverse back through the Hillside trail system and pass near the start
area about 10 km in. The 40K skiers skip all the previous. We call
everything from the Hillside Trails to Alaska Pacific University trails the
"Tour of Anchorage Trail". It starts with a longish downhill. A moderate
length climb follows, and then it's generally flat to rolling into the APU
trails about 20-23K in where you'll probably have a short climb depending on
how they route the course this year. Then it's flat/barely downhill for 4
miles down the Chester Creek trail. The Coastal Trail is flat for 2 miles,
and then you have a two step climb over 1.5 miles to the top of Point
Woronzof (at the end of the NNW airport runway on the course map) at about
40 km in. The rest of the Coastal Trail is flat into Kincaid. They seem to
route the last part differently each year, but there is always a longish
climb up to the stadium finish.

How can I wax my skis? I am traveling on Thrursday and don't want to
have to bring my entire wax collection and waxing equipment.

CH4 has been good the past week, and from the looks of the forecast, will be
good into at least mid-week.

like to try out a few segments of the trail before race day, so even
if the forecast doesn't change much between Wednesday and Sunday, my
skis would still be less than optimal. Also, can we expect humid
conditions there because of the proximity to the ocean, regardless of
the temperature?

Humidity varies throughout the day, but has generally been on the low to
moderate side for waxing purposes.

Are there any special considerations for flying with skis? I have a
canvas ski bag and can pad my skis and polls with extra clothing, but
is that enough, or do I need a hard-shell ski case?

Ski teams that I've seen travel with softs bags packed with clothing.

The course is fun. I'm tempted to sign up, but I've been sick half the
winter and don't seem to have the legs most days. I'm too competitive
minded to just cruise the course, though that might cause suffering enough
the way I've been skiing this winter.

Old February 27th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Alaskan Skier

Right now Swix HFBD4 has been the ticket for skating and Swix LF4+LF3 for
classic, why might you add the difference. The track for classic are colder
than the surface for skating.
You can also check www.swixracing.us for wax rec's.

Mark Strabel