super cheap homemade snowboard

Old November 13th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default super cheap homemade snowboard

Where's your shop?

56fish wrote:
I've got used ones w/ bindings here at the shop for less than $50.

Old November 13th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

There is a brd_blding group on Yahoo that will give your all the
information you could want, although I don't recall seeing anyone
building a wooden board.

Where's your shop?

I have a woodworking shop in PA

Anybody have suggestions on making metal edges?
I know it would be easier to buy a cheap snowboard, but wheres the fun
in that?

Old November 14th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Here is a link to where you can just buy the edges and any other
materials needed.

http://www.snowboardmaterials.com/pages/materials2.htm

Old November 15th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Beloved Leader

wrote:

http://www.snowboardmaterials.com/pages/materials2.htm

Hmmm, interesting. Seems like a lot of work. Sort of like building your
own DVD player when you can buy one for $20.

I certainly don't mean to discourage the OP, but it's soooo much easier
to buy one.

Old November 15th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Beloved Leader wrote:
wrote:

http://www.snowboardmaterials.com/pages/materials2.htm

Hmmm, interesting. Seems like a lot of work. Sort of like building your
own DVD player when you can buy one for $20.

I certainly don't mean to discourage the OP, but it's soooo much easier
to buy one.

Seems to me that the *only* reason to build a snowboard would be
because you expect to enjoy the process -- the joy of woodworking, etc.
The activity, rather than the finished product, should be the
objective. Certainly won't yield a better or cheaper (when all is said
and done) board than could be purchased.

Joe Ramirez

Old November 15th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
David Peacock

Beloved Leader wrote:
Hmmm, interesting. Seems like a lot of work. Sort of like building your
own DVD player when you can buy one for $20.

I certainly don't mean to discourage the OP, but it's soooo much easier
to buy one.

Forgive me if I am missing your point, but sometimes it's nice to do
stuff just to maybe be creative and enjoy it. No?

There are plenty of examples of software I can download or buy in a
store, but I still like to write my own code and home-grow my software
because it's interesting to me.

Surely it's ok for the OP to want to make his own board? It's a pasttime
and interest dude, get over it. :-)

I dunno, some people collect stamps, others strap a piece of wood to
their feet and slide down mountains that are covered in frozen water...

--
David Peacock -
http://quasicanuck.blogspot.com/

Old November 15th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Beloved Leader

David Peacock wrote:
Beloved Leader wrote:
Seems like a lot of work. ...
it's soooo much easier to buy one.

Forgive me if I am missing your point, but sometimes it's nice to do
stuff just to maybe be creative and enjoy it. No?

Surely it's ok for the OP to want to make his own board? It's a pasttime
and interest dude, get over it. :-)

No problem. I just finished rebuilding a carburetor. It took hours
longer than buying one that someone else had rebuilt would have taken,
but there's no way I'd let someone else have that pleasure.

I had taken the carburetor off the intake manifold after a technician
at the local dealer had suggested that the car was suffering from an
intake manifold leak. I was looking over the engine to see how I could
remove the manifold with a crane that I would first have to design and
build. It would be much easier to hand over the car to the dealer and
say, "you do it."

But, probably for the same reason that the OP wants to build his own
board, I immediately persued the notion of doing it myself. Not only
that, but once I had the carburetor off, I found that the source of the
leak was not a bad intake manifold gasket, but someone much less
expensive and easier to fix.

If I came across as harsh, I hadn't meant to. It's just that a
snowboard has more complex innards than is apparent from the outside.
They're built in factories with sizable equipment, and duplicating that
effort at home is going to be a significant challenge. They're not just
Snurfers anymore. A Snurfer is just a piece of plywood that has been
steam-bent. I absolutely wish him well. I also note that Tom Sims built
a snowboard for eighth grad shop, so it has been done.

To the OP: please post pictures when you are done. Now I have to
contemplate building a longboard (skate, not surf).

Best wishes to all. Thanks for writing.