Right Size?

Old November 27th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Right Size?

Just bought my first board on Black Friday. The dude sold me a
Rossignol Split 160 wide. I am 6'3" 185 lbs size 12 shoe. He said the
board would be good for learning tricks, but a little slower than a
longer board.

I am new to boarding. I had a full season last year, this will be my
second.

From what I have read, this board seems a little small. It comes up to

my shoulder blades.

Looking for expert opinion. Should I return this board or what?

Thanks,

Sparrowhawk

Old November 27th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Experience: 5 days.
learned in a day, had it down within 2.

Just so you know I returned the board today. After examining it closely
I realized 2 things.
a) It seemed a littel small
b) when standing on it, without the binding, my foot hit edge to edge.

I am going to go to a different shop.

Like I said to LoneRider in a reply email

My goals for this season a

Improve my carving
Learn to Ollie
Learn to Switch.

I guess I should shoot for a 161-163 Wide Freeride.

NOTE: I did pay 147 for the board.

lonerider wrote:
wrote:
Just bought my first board on Black Friday. The dude sold me a
Rossignol Split 160 wide. I am 6'3" 185 lbs size 12 shoe. He said the
board would be good for learning tricks, but a little slower than a
longer board.

I am new to boarding. I had a full season last year, this will be my
second.

From what I have read, this board seems a little small. It comes up to

my shoulder blades.

Looking for expert opinion. Should I return this board or what?

Google ate my last post. In short, if you plan to be spending most of
your time in the park, it is a decent starter board. I'm assuming you
"full season" was at least 10 days, if so any you plan to be riding
groomed runs most often, then I would recommend getting a "freeride"
board, possible a little longer like a 163. Unless you are doing
freestyle a lot, you pretty much never want a "freestyle" board, ignore
the salesman when he says "oh, but it can carve well." A SUV might
handle well for SUVs, but it's never going to handle corners better
than a sports coupe.

Btw that model board (discontinued now) sells for $250 MSRP, online you
can find it for $190, so I'm hoping you got it for $150 or less
considering it was Black Friday.