Snow conditions in Kettle Moraine area of WI?

Old January 15th 04, 05:19 PM
b6

Default Snow conditions in Kettle Moraine area of WI?

Does anyone have a snow/trail report for the Kettle Moraine area of
WI? I live about 8 hours drive away but would love to get back to that
great area for some XC this weekend if the snow is there. Thanks for
any observations,
Old January 15th 04, 07:06 PM
Jack Youle

No recent first-hand knowledge of these trail conditions, but based on
current snow depth maps, it looks like XC at both the Northern and Southern
Kettles is very marginal. They got about the same amount of snow as we got
in the northern suburbs of Chicago on Sunday (approximately 4 inches on
1/4/04). Due to the cold weather the next week (1/5 to 1/10) we still had
skiable snow last weekend. But thawing last Sunday and Monday (1/10 and
1/11) brought our snow depths to approximately 2 inches here and it looks
like that is the current depth at the Kettles. Forecasts are for some
additional snow through Saturday that may add 2 more inches for the Northern
Kettle Moraine (less expected for the Southern Kettle Moraine) which would
maybe allow some skiing there.

Eight hours is a long way to drive for marginal conditions, but you can
probably get first-hand reports from Wisconsin DNR personnel (phone numbers
available on their web site).

Jack

m...

Old January 15th 04, 10:26 PM
J999w

I doubt that Kettle Moraine (north or south) is very good right now. The
closest I've been to the south Kettle has been Burlington, and they have a
spotty 2". North Kettle may be a bit better, but the last report out of
Greenbush was quite a while ago and not encouraging.

You could drive another 2 hours and hit Door County. They just got 7 inches.

I'm skiing in 2-3 inches in local parks, skiing in my own classic tracks. A
good friend just dislocated his shoulder skiing at Minooka, so I'll pass on
that.

jw
milwaukee
Old January 16th 04, 07:44 PM
J999w

2 to 4 inches of snow forecast for SE WI this saturday.

Watch www.skinnyski.com for latest trail reports.

jw
milwaukee
Old January 17th 04, 12:36 AM
GPS

The DNR folks are saying that both Greenbush and Zilmer trails are skiable
with rock skis. They are expecting 2-4 inches friday night and will roll
the trails on Saturday. There is not enough snow for striding - skate only.
The trails in southern Kettle Moraine are essentially closed.

GPS