New Zealand

Old September 16th 03, 12:46 PM
Nick Wells

Default New Zealand

Folks,

Thinking of going to NZ boarding in late October time. Anyone got
experience of
this, is this too later in the season or should I be OK ?

Cheers

Nick

Old September 17th 03, 04:47 AM
Glenn

"Nick Wells" wrote in message ...
Folks,

Thinking of going to NZ boarding in late October time. Anyone got
experience of
this, is this too later in the season or should I be OK ?

Cheers

Nick

Hi Nick,

Just got back from NZ. They're having a pretty average season to
date, but if it's anything like last year, Sept is the month. There's
been some fresh dumps this week, check out this site for some of the
major resorts -
http://www.snowreports.co.nz

Not sure if many of the resorts will be open late October. Last year
there was still snow at Mt Ruapehu (North Island) in December and they
were open, might be your best bet - http://www.mtruapehu.co.nz

South Island I would suggest Treble Cone -
http://www.treblecone.co.nz, The Remarkables was looking very baron,
Coronet Peak & Mt Hutt were not too bad - http://www.nzski.com

Full info of NZ Resorts - http://www.snow.co.nz

I would recommend contacting the places you're considering going to
first.

Australia is having a great season (by Aussie Standards) if anyone is
thinking of coming down under. Check out http://www.snow.com.au

Good luck,

Glenn
Old September 17th 03, 11:07 PM

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:46:59 +0100, "Nick Wells"
wrote:

Folks,

Thinking of going to NZ boarding in late October time. Anyone got
experience of
this, is this too later in the season or should I be OK ?

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

I went to Mt Hutt, NZ in July, considtions were pretty bad, ice and
rocks, most of the mountain was not do-able. everyone was pretty
bummed. that said, if there is enough snow, it should be great. i
will try again next year. If you go to Mt Hutt, you stay in Methven,
small sleepy town, lots of freindly folks. only downside to Mt hutt
is the lifts suck. but with regular snow conditions, the entire
mountain is open and you can't get bored.
hope this helps a bit.

alien
Old October 2nd 03, 01:49 AM
Glenn

"Nick Wells" wrote in message ...
Folks,

Thinking of going to NZ boarding in late October time. Anyone got
experience of
this, is this too later in the season or should I be OK ?

Cheers

Nick

Nick,

Here are the closing dates for the Major NZ resorts -

Whakapapa 2 November
Turoa 9 November
Mt Lyford 12 October
Mt Hutt 19 October
Craigieburn 12 October
Broken River 6 October
Porter Heights 5 October
Ohau 5 October
Roundhill 5 October
Cardrona 12 October
Treble Cone 12 October
Snow Park 19 October
Coronet Peak 12 October
The Remarkables 12 October

Mt Buller (Victoria, Australia) 12 October

Looks like your only bet is Mt Ruapehu on the North Island.
They still have over 2m base at both resorts so you should be OK.
More snow forecast this weekend. See my earlier post for the link.

Good luck,

Glenn