You'll never believe how Schattie describes himself!!

Old April 5th 15, 07:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_3_]

Default You'll never believe how Schattie describes himself!!

On 05/04/2015 05:42, lal_truckee wrote:
On 4/4/15 5:00 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Somewhere I have a button that says "We can wipe out COBOL in our
lifetime."

COBOL has a life span analogous to the time required to engineer and
build a successful Fusion Reactor. That is, at least 20 years from "now"
for all values of "now."

Ha, very true. I was still using it in my last job just over 10 years
ago. Of course I was writing systems using the IEF CASE tool, but that
created COBOL code because the commercial customers wanted an industry
standard source code in the event that IEF folded (it hasn't yet).

Old April 5th 15, 10:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 20:42:45 -0700, lal_truckee
wrote this crap:

On 4/4/15 5:00 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

Somewhere I have a button that says "We can wipe out COBOL in our
lifetime."

COBOL has a life span analogous to the time required to engineer and
build a successful Fusion Reactor. That is, at least 20 years from "now"
for all values of "now."

COBOL is dead. It died fifty years ago.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old April 5th 15, 11:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 12:03:13 AM UTC-4, Alan Baker wrote:

His name was Brad Templeton.

No, Alan. His name was Ray Tomlinson, and it was in *1971*.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=120364591
Old April 5th 15, 01:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_3_]

Epic fail Alan@Baker

Old April 5th 15, 03:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

lal_truckee wrote:
On 4/4/15 1:38 PM, BrritSki wrote:
I didn't put sequence numbers in cols 73-80. I only dropped a full
2000 card box once.....

The first thing you learn is to diagonally ink mark the cards for a
visual indicator of order.

I still have, in my collection of useless souvenirs of an illustrious
life, a box of punch cards containing a Pascal Compiler for a 360
(IIRC) received from Klaus Wirth's very own hands. Useless, as I
said, but I spent many a workweek petting and massaging boxes of such
cards. I figure keeping them is like having a fondly remembered pet
dog stuffed in the corner of the den.

Punch cards were a step up from paper tape. I calculated and provided
Vandenberg Titan launch parameters on paper tape in my first real job.
Doesn't seem like the Titan long time mainstay launch vehicle would be
that old.

I still have my first PC in the garage. It was paper tape I/O, built from parts
from the dumpster at the place I worked then. It started with an Intel 8008
processor, and I wire wrapped an 8080 processor card to speed it up. A friend
wrote a "space war" program for it, which was published in Byte magazine, very
similar to the "space war" I saw on a PDP1 in college. The graphic display was
an old osscilloscope fed by 2 D/A's into the X and Y inputs.

Old April 5th 15, 03:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 4/5/15 3:59 AM, wrote:
COBOL is dead. It died fifty years ago.

Still a lot of good paying jobs out there, massaging the corpse.
Old April 5th 15, 07:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker[_2_]

On 2015-04-05 11:51:51 +0000, Dave Stallard said:

On Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 12:03:13 AM UTC-4, Alan Baker wrote:

His name was Brad Templeton.

No, Alan. His name was Ray Tomlinson, and it was in *1971*.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=120364591

Ooops!

You're right.

Brad came up with using the dot...

http://www.templetons.com/brad/dot.html

....and had one of the very first dotcoms...

http://www.templetons.com/brad/clarinet-history.html

Oh, and he's on the board of the EFF.

:-)