Broken ski, how on earth?

Old October 26th 03, 03:33 PM
Ivan Rafn

Default Broken ski, how on earth?

Schlopy broke his ski at todays World Cup Opening, on his way downhill!.

How on earth could that happend?

Any insight?

Old October 27th 03, 04:11 PM
lal_truckee

Ivan Rafn wrote:

Schlopy broke his ski at todays World Cup Opening, on his way downhill!.

How on earth could that happend?

Any insight?

Handlaid, special racing skis are like F-1 cars - materials are stressed
to the limit, and sometimes overstressed.

Who's sponsoring Schlopy this year? Dynastar?

Old October 27th 03, 06:41 PM
CowPunk©

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:34:53 +0100, "Ivan Rafn"
wrote:

"pigo" skrev i en meddelelse

"Ivan Rafn" wrote in message
k...
Schlopy broke his ski at todays World Cup Opening, on his way

downhill!.

How on earth could that happend?

Any insight?

skis break.

Dynastars break

Yup, the bumper nephew went through I believe 4 pair last year...

Cow
Old October 27th 03, 07:51 PM
Ivan Rafn

"lal_truckee" skrev i en meddelelse
Ivan Rafn wrote:

Schlopy broke his ski at todays World Cup Opening, on his way downhill!.

How on earth could that happend?

Any insight?

Handlaid, special racing skis are like F-1 cars - materials are stressed
to the limit, and sometimes overstressed.

Who's sponsoring Schlopy this year? Dynastar?

He was riding Dynas.

What amased me was, that one ski snapped in 3 pieces, in the middle of a
left turn.

The front part broke at the binding, and a piece broke off near the end of
the ski.

Was it shear downforce that broke it, a faulty ski (not likely as it broke
in 3 pieces), did he hit something on his way, what?

Old October 28th 03, 07:21 AM
Zeljko Mihalic

it has got to be something with the ski, we've all seen disastrous accidents
in downhill races, skies and skiers flying in the air, still skis pulled
through in one piece.
I'm not very convinced that ski should/could break so easily. Especially
having in mind that Eric didn't hit anything (didn't seem that he did...). I
mean come on, it's not like he hit a concrete wall or something.
Well, anyone else wants to buy dynastar skis?? :-)

Greetings,
Zeljko

Old October 28th 03, 04:10 PM
lal_truckee

Zeljko Mihalic wrote:

it has got to be something with the ski, we've all seen disastrous accidents
in downhill races, skies and skiers flying in the air, still skis pulled
through in one piece.

Not necessarily true - damage may not be obvious but I bet there's a
fair number of "big crash" skis retired from the DH circuit after the
crash. Example - my boy's 220 Volkl DH had a partial delam in the tail
after a training cartwheeller crash. Had to look carfully , but it was
enough to retire the skis. Dam expensive skis, too. Usually there's
enough meat in a DH race ski that you don't get the same kind of
breakage that you get in SL skis but damage can occur.

I'm not very convinced that ski should/could break so easily. Especially
having in mind that Eric didn't hit anything (didn't seem that he did...). I
mean come on, it's not like he hit a concrete wall or something.
Well, anyone else wants to buy dynastar skis?? :-)

The discription (see upstream posts) of breakage right in front of the
binding might indicate weakening from binding screws? Description
indicates a second break in the tail - I wonder how close it was to the
binding. Or maybe the breaks occured at the end of the metal riser plates?

But more likely IMO is that Dyna just laid up the ski in the mold too
close to the minimum tensile strength. All those skis are likely hand built.

Old October 29th 03, 11:45 AM
AnyBody43

lal_truckee wrote in message ...
Zeljko Mihalic wrote:

[...]

This is RACING. If they don't break from time to time they are probably
heavier than needed. On the other hand, maybe heavier skies might be faster?

I have experienced a ski taking on a permanent bend without hitting anything.

I was practising carving (well trying to) on stickyish snow and the
next thing I knew I was getting a quick face wash.

When walking back up the hill I noticed that the outer ski seemed _set_
in the snow exactly where I had departed it with a lot of bend in it. I
felt pleased and was thinking that the carving must be going quite
well if I was getting that much bend into the ski.

On closer inspection the ski turned out to be permanently
bent up just in front of the front binding such that the tip was
a couple of inches off of the snow when standing on the ski.

They were rentals, so I don't know the history, Rossignol 9S 164cm.
I am about 75-80kg.

To avoid potential arguments about "damage" to the hired equipment I bent
them back and turned them in. It was REALLY hard to straighten them out
even though I ws able to use a very robust 2 rail wooden fence that was
pretty much ideal for the job.