50K Club Report 4-25-04

Old April 26th 04, 11:37 AM
Jay Tegeder

Default 50K Club Report 4-25-04

Not much of a report today... It rained in the morning. My wife and I
went shopping for new golf clubs for her. She now has golf clubs worth
$499 while mine were valued at $12.50, yeah, twelve dollars and fifty
cents, when I tried to trade them in last week. What's wrong with that
picture... She bought the clubs with all of the birthday money she
recieved. Then, I got roped into going to a local shopping center...
When we got home, I had time for a 1 hour ride on my road bike. Then,
it was off to Orchestra Hall for my niece's Saint Olaf College
performance of Brahms', "Ein Deutches Requiem." She was in the the
choir last night but also plays the basoon in the orchestra/band. It
was pretty good... I might have to change my mind about cultural
activities. I even bought a painting last week at a silent
auction/fundraiser...

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT
Old April 26th 04, 05:55 PM
Dell Todd

(Jay Tegeder) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Geez Jay, a regular Rennaissance Man ! And we thought you were a
heartless conservative.

I used to play bassoon in high school & college ! That's cool !

Dell

While I am in this thread, my Big Sunday was a sufferin' 16.4 miler in
the wind & rain. The long run after missing two weeks due to that cold
was miserable. My 5k on satuday went pretty well. I was hopin' to get
under 18, but I got 18:25. However, I was well in hand, and I think
now that the carbon is blown out of the pipe, I might be able to get
up to speed. It's hard to go full blast for a short race like that.
I'm going to try again next saturday and see what happens. Oddly, due
to atrophy I guess, I am back down to Birkie weight for no good
reason. My upper body is looking smaller now that I have given up the
weight room & roller skiing for the recovery season. Plan to pick it
back up in 2 weeks after the 25k road race.
Old April 26th 04, 06:38 PM
Kenneth Salzberg

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Dell Todd wrote:

choir last night but also plays the basoon in the orchestra/band. It

I used to play bassoon in high school & college ! That's cool !

Gee, I used to play bassoon in Jr. and High school too. Weird.

-Ken
P.S. He is a heartless conservative, but he's our heartless conservative.

Kenneth Salzberg
Hamline University

School of Law (651) 523-2354
1536 Hewitt Ave.
Sisu Skier - 50K Club St. Paul, MN 55104

Old April 26th 04, 09:19 PM
Diva

St. Olaf has such a rich musical tradition. I love listening to their
choirs. You're lucky you get to hear them live.

June

om...

Old April 27th 04, 12:06 AM
Marsh Jones

2.5hr hard paddle on Saturday morning followed by a shorter rec paddle
with newbies in the afternoon.
Sunday was supposed to be a low key paddle in the afternoon, so I played
old-time music jam(or tried to). My paddling partner was zonked from the
MN Ironman ride (100K in the rain & wind), so he bailed. Rode 38mi in
blustery sunshine in the afternoon (17mph heading out, 25-30 heading back).

Marsh
Old April 28th 04, 11:58 PM
Jay Tegeder

Not to brag, but my niece also plays the clarinet and the piano. Plus,
she's a fabulous artist in my biased, Uncle opinion. She got both Art
and Music scholarships to Saint Olaf. Her younger sister plays the
flute and the piano and is a decent artist too. She's still in High
School. I have to brag about them since I have no musical or artistic
talent... Oh yeah, I'm not a heartless conservative... I still vote
for my Democratic State Senator... And, I'm more of a Republican than
a conservative...

Old April 29th 04, 04:10 PM
Edward Dike, III

"Sly D. Skeez" wrote in message
om...
| (Jay Tegeder) wrote in message
. com...
| Not much of a report today... It rained in the morning. My wife and I
| went shopping for new golf clubs for her. She now has golf clubs worth
| $499 while mine were valued at $12.50, yeah, twelve dollars and fifty
| cents, when I tried to trade them in last week. What's wrong with that
| picture... She bought the clubs with all of the birthday money she
| recieved. Then, I got roped into going to a local shopping center...
| When we got home, I had time for a 1 hour ride on my road bike. Then,
| it was off to Orchestra Hall for my niece's Saint Olaf College
| performance of Brahms', "Ein Deutches Requiem." She was in the the
| choir last night but also plays the basoon in the orchestra/band. It
| was pretty good... I might have to change my mind about cultural
| activities. I even bought a painting last week at a silent
| auction/fundraiser...
|
| Hmmm, now I wonder what she'll say when you ask to borrow the clubs?
|
| I did a 1:40 road ride on the Gateway, and discovered they are
| building a bridge over Hwy 96. That makes me wonder if someone got
| killed there. Usually the government doesn't pop for projects like
| this until there has been death or two. Anyway, it's a great
| improvement (except that carbide doesn't get a grip in concrete).
|
| Jay (I did not play bassoon in HS) Wenner

That bridge, and others have been in the works for several years.
They are at least 1 year behind the original timetable for the various
construction projects (planned also are bridges at Cty Rd 12, and Cty Rd 15.
As funding sources came and went, the original plans changed. The first
bridge was to be at Cty Rd 12.

To my knowledge no one has been killed at that intersection, but I have seen
several near misses; there have been some less fortunate. In the early days
of the paved trail, at least once a month there was an ambulance loading up
someone.
Trail users blowing the stop sign got to be a big issue with locals/ County
Sheriff/ Conservation Officers, who were issued mountain bikes and ticket
books to cite violators($75 fine).

I am curious:
Does the (deteriorating) pavement condition have a serious effect on roller
skiing, as it does inline skating?
Even without the current closure, the Gateway is falling out of favor with
skaters.
There is a grassroots movement among local skaters to advocate, and assist
in trail maintenance/ improvements.
A few I know planned to attend the annual Trail Association meeting last
night.
ED3

Old April 29th 04, 10:09 PM
Sly D. Skeez

"Edward Dike, III" wrote in message ...

I am curious:
Does the (deteriorating) pavement condition have a serious effect on roller
skiing, as it does inline skating?

We're not such speed freaks, so slower pavement is not a big deal.
Rough pavement, like out at Afton is a big deal, but we keep on
slogging. OTOH, we do appreciate new pavement, but I doubt we'll go in
search of it like the inliners.

Jay