Google Earth and ski area viewing

Old February 10th 06, 03:02 PM

Norman wrote:
"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
Felly sgrifennodd Norman :

" cupra" wrote in message
My problems my knees - they only allow me 1/2 day of full on
boarding these days before I have to take it a little easier!
(next holiday is planned for NZ next August so plenty of time to
get them seen to!)

Good luck. I know a particularly attractive seasonaire who'll be in
NZ in August.

Is boarding harder or easier on the knees do you think?

Tendonitis in my knee made me stop playing football a few years ago
and it flares up if I do much running, but to my eternal joy and
amazement it doesn't seem to mind skiing at all. Phew.

If that's the same thing as Cyclist's knee, then yes I suffer too.
Used to often go cycling 100+ miles a day, apparently I overused my
knees. It does cause problems at times on long walks, but like you
it never causes a problem
skiing.

I only tried snowboarding twice, in the days before soft boot. But
the second time my knees didn't like it. Maybe Cupra should switch
to skiing?

Everyone should switch to skiing.

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the
boarder/skier ratio. It was easy to do as generally, all the people
moving were skiers and all the people boarding were sat down
somewhere in the middle of the piste.
It was roughly around 20:1.

It's opposite off piste where the real fun is

Old February 10th 06, 03:08 PM

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:02:41 -0000, " cupra"
wrote:

Norman wrote:

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the
boarder/skier ratio. It was easy to do as generally, all the people
moving were skiers and all the people boarding were sat down
somewhere in the middle of the piste.
It was roughly around 20:1.

It's opposite off piste where the real fun is

Rubbish. When doing serious off-piste routes, it's quite rare to see
boarders, as there tends to be at least a bit of poleing, long
traverses and flat terrain. I know a few guys that would be happy
doing this sort of thing on boards, but the vast majority that you see
slightly off-piste don't tend to venture much further afield.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 10th 06, 03:12 PM

wrote:

Norman wrote:

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the
boarder/skier ratio. It was easy to do as generally, all the people
moving were skiers and all the people boarding were sat down
somewhere in the middle of the piste.
It was roughly around 20:1.

It's opposite off piste where the real fun is

Haven't done much off piste yet. From my limited understanding it seems
having one great fat plank between your legs instead of two skinny ones
might be an advantage in deep powder?

Should I rephrase that?

Rubbish. When doing serious off-piste routes, it's quite rare to see
boarders, as there tends to be at least a bit of poleing, long
traverses and flat terrain. I know a few guys that would be happy
doing this sort of thing on boards, but the vast majority that you see
slightly off-piste don't tend to venture much further afield.

Changing the subject slightly, I can't help thinking that someone cleverer
than me could make a lot of money for inventing some little outboard motor
for skis or board that could kick in on flat bits or when wanting to go back
uphill without the need of a lift.

Feel free to nick my idea but I would like ten per cent.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the

Old February 10th 06, 03:13 PM

wrote:

Norman wrote:

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the
boarder/skier ratio. It was easy to do as generally, all the people
moving were skiers and all the people boarding were sat down
somewhere in the middle of the piste.
It was roughly around 20:1.

It's opposite off piste where the real fun is

Rubbish.

Tongue in cheek - hence the smiley!

When doing serious off-piste routes, it's quite rare to see
boarders, as there tends to be at least a bit of poleing, long
traverses and flat terrain. I know a few guys that would be happy
doing this sort of thing on boards, but the vast majority that you see
slightly off-piste don't tend to venture much further afield.

I was seriously looking at a split board myself the other day in Banff
before my better half reminded me we're about to buy a Rayburn!

What's wrong with an Aga?

Old February 10th 06, 03:18 PM

wrote:

Norman wrote:

[...]

I've thought about that myself, but I think the mass of kit would
outweigh(!) the advantage!

Old February 10th 06, 03:19 PM

Norman wrote:
wrote:

Norman wrote:

[...]

Don't mind either - ebay seems to have a larger percentage of Rayburns for
sale at the moment, and I have to get cracking before building regs change!

Old February 10th 06, 03:23 PM

wrote:

Norman wrote:

Was on a chairlift in Morzine last week trying to work out the
boarder/skier ratio.

It was roughly around 20:1.

It's opposite off piste where the real fun is

Haven't done much off piste yet. From my limited understanding it seems
having one great fat plank between your legs instead of two skinny ones
might be an advantage in deep powder?

If you've seen the latest generation of 'freeride' skis you'll realise
that a pair of them is almost as wide as a snowboard, which with the
extra length will give them as much 'float' as a board.

It does, of course, demand more skill, but then that's just another
way in which we can feel all superior ;-)

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old February 10th 06, 03:34 PM

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:13:29 GMT, "Norman"
wrote:

wrote:

Norman wrote:

[...]

It depends on what you want it for.

They are the same company, and generally Rayburns include Central
Heating capacity (some don't), while Agas are just cookers.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Modern man is the missing link between apes and human beings.
Old February 10th 06, 03:34 PM

wrote:

wrote:

Norman wrote:

[...]

Agas can also run your hot water. Not sure about the heating.