old bindings?

Old December 26th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default old bindings?

My skis and bindings are about 15 years old. I haven't skiied in about
4 years. I took my skiis and boots in today to be tuned and was
immediately told that the tech wouldn't touch my bindings because he
can tell by looking at them they are ready to fall apart. They are
Salomons and I skiied perhaps a half dozen times a year for about 11
years straight. I am an intermediate skier, a lady of 66 years of
age. Is he giving me a line in order to sell me new bindings or is
this the norm? How can he possibly tell what condition they're in just
by looking at them or is the particular make/model prone to a short
life?

Old December 27th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

wrote:
My skis and bindings are about 15 years old. I haven't skiied in about
4 years. I took my skiis and boots in today to be tuned and was
immediately told that the tech wouldn't touch my bindings because he
can tell by looking at them they are ready to fall apart. They are
Salomons and I skiied perhaps a half dozen times a year for about 11
years straight. I am an intermediate skier, a lady of 66 years of
age. Is he giving me a line in order to sell me new bindings or is
this the norm? How can he possibly tell what condition they're in just
by looking at them or is the particular make/model prone to a short
life?

He can't. They may work as good as ever.
What he's probably telling you is they are so old they've fallen off the
indemnification list which is a list of binding models for which the
manufacturer is willing to protect the shop against legal claims.

But us old-timers have to stick together and even a die-hard like me can
attest that there's been a world of change in skiing in the last 15
years and new equipment just might keep you skiing and enjoying it for
another 15-20 years. Consider renting new pair of appropriate demo skis
and have fun.

P.S. It may be time for new boots, too. If so, buy boots before skis.

Old December 27th 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ctlady

Thanks for the responses. . .makes good sense to me. O.K., new
bindings. New boots? Oh boy, and they call horse racing the sport of
kings. Well, it's good that it's been above freezing here in CT with
no snow in sight or else I'd be pretty antsy.

P.S. It may be time for new boots, too. If so, buy boots before skis.

Old December 27th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"ctlady" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the responses. . .makes good sense to me. O.K., new
bindings. New boots? Oh boy, and they call horse racing the sport of
kings. Well, it's good that it's been above freezing here in CT with
no snow in sight or else I'd be pretty antsy.

I assume your old skis are not modern shaped skis. If this is true,
you are in for a pleasnat surprise if you get new skis. A lesson or
two on how to take full advantage of them would be worth while also.
The new skis are shorter, and turn quickly when edged.
Your old bindings are probably fine if you are going to continue
with your old skis, but as others said, you won't find shops wanting
to check them out. And if your boots are old, they may want nothing
to do with those also.

Bob

Bindings from straight skiis suitable for for shaped? [email protected] Alpine Skiing 7 October 14th 05 05:48 PM
salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 10:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 06:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 04:02 PM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM