Winter Olympic Park Closed?

Old March 1st 04, 04:07 PM
-JP-

Default Winter Olympic Park Closed?

Several weeks ago there were a big dump of snow here. This was
excellent since I didn't have to drive to the mountain (Rockies) to
ski. We have a local ski hill - Winter Olympic Park. These are slopes
for ski-jumps and downhills. There is a XC loop, but it is an
after-thought. Because of the general warm temperature, the XC loop is
usually very icy, not good for beginner like me.

I went xc that day, I noticed that the whole place was very quite and
very few cars in the parking lot. I had a season pass so I went
straight to ski. The fresh snow was very slow, I could even stide up
the steep sections, normally I have to herringbone. After couple of
loops while on the top of the hill I saw someone at the bottom. I
thought this was great there was someone to help me pack these snow. I
wined my way down in the track. In my last sharp downhill turn I saw
this guy stepping in the track, what the hell? As I got near him he
said "You have to get out of those skis, the park is closed." Then he
said how could you ski when he couldn't stand here for 2 minutes, it
was so cold. So I took a look at my thermometer, it was only -31F. I
said "Yah if you stand around; not when I ski." He said to me, "Lets
walked to my truck, I am not going to prosecute you, I will just take
down your name and information." He was a security guard.

How could a Winter Olympic Park closed when there are excellent snow?
Old March 1st 04, 08:59 PM
J999w

only -31F

Only ?

jw
Milwaukee
Old March 1st 04, 11:30 PM
Aliant

Sounds an awful lot like Calgary to me.

-40 C for a few days, or even a week is not unusual. The best thing about
Calgary though is the bright sun and the warm Chinooks that come in and
swing the temperature to the plus side in a matter of hours (although I
don't recall one doing that from -40)

-S.

"J999w" wrote in message
only -31F

Only ?

jw
Milwaukee

Old March 1st 04, 11:37 PM
Aliant

JP.

I would guess that the reason why the park closed was for safety /
liability, not because of snow.

The place you described sounds like Calgary to me. It's been a while since
I was there, but I remember COP as mostly a downhill park. The wasn't that
great, although some local clubs used it for jackrabbit races, and it is a
great place to go get hours on snow during the week (any locals lurking?
Did they ever expand the XC park?).

Anyway, downhillers have a worse time with wind-chill, since the wind-chill
is higher due to their higher speed. If you are going to close the hill you
may as well close everything to make it simple for your staff and for your
visitors.

(those are my thoughts, anyway)

-Scott.

om...