Olympic Downhill

Old February 12th 06, 07:59 PM

Default Olympic Downhill

Has anyone seen anything more ridiculous than the way they assign
starting positions for the downhill?

C.
Old February 12th 06, 09:38 PM

CParker wrote:

Has anyone seen anything more ridiculous than the way they assign
starting positions for the downhill?

If you give me a 50-words-or-less explanation I'll try to answer the question!

And don't look at the NBC website unless you want to know who won before you
watch it on TV.

--
Cheers, Bev
The people who don't know what they're doing and the people who
Old February 12th 06, 10:15 PM

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:59:01 GMT, CParker
wrote:

Has anyone seen anything more ridiculous than the way they assign
starting positions for the downhill?

Yes.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Matrimony isn't a word, it's a sentence.
Old February 12th 06, 10:15 PM

CParker wrote:

Has anyone seen anything more ridiculous than the way they assign
starting positions for the downhill?

I've seen plenty more ridiculous things than that just this afternoon.
But yes, the flip-30 format is ridiculous. What it isn't, is either
new, or confined to the Olympics. This is at least the third season
it's been around on the World Cup.

Old February 12th 06, 10:17 PM

The Real Bev wrote:

CParker wrote:

Has anyone seen anything more ridiculous than the way they assign
starting positions for the downhill?

If you give me a 50-words-or-less explanation I'll try to answer the
question!

You could pick up the explanation on the FIS website. All the rules are
there. It won't be 50 words or less, but sorry, that's how it goes.

Old February 12th 06, 10:52 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

CParker wrote:

Has anyone seen anything more ridiculous than the way they assign
starting positions for the downhill?

If you give me a 50-words-or-less explanation I'll try to answer the
question!

You could pick up the explanation on the FIS website. All the rules are
there. It won't be 50 words or less, but sorry, that's how it goes.

Foundation for Infinite Survival
Fish Information and Services
Frankfurt International School

OK, I found it. If I wanted to read that much I'd learn another language :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens
Old February 12th 06, 11:08 PM

The Real Bev wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

CParker wrote:

Has anyone seen anything more ridiculous than the way they assign
starting positions for the downhill?

If you give me a 50-words-or-less explanation I'll try to answer the
question!

You could pick up the explanation on the FIS website. All the rules
are there. It won't be 50 words or less, but sorry, that's how it goes.

Foundation for Infinite Survival
Fish Information and Services
Frankfurt International School

OK, I found it. If I wanted to read that much I'd learn another
language :-(

Federation Internationale de Ski -- despite the name, has all its rules
in English as well as French and German.

The flip-30 format takes the top 30 racers in their final practice run,
and reverses the order in the actual race (so, 30th in the practice = 1
in the race and vice versa). It was done to keep people in their seats
after the top ten came down.

Old February 12th 06, 11:14 PM

Mary Malmros wrote:

Federation Internationale de Ski -- despite the name, has all its rules
in English as well as French and German.

There's almost nothing I want to know bad enough to search a PDF file to find it.

The flip-30 format takes the top 30 racers in their final practice run,
and reverses the order in the actual race (so, 30th in the practice = 1
in the race and vice versa). It was done to keep people in their seats
after the top ten came down.

Thanks. That makes sense.

--
Cheers, Bev
My house isn't a pigsty, it's an Immunity Enhancement Center.
Old February 12th 06, 11:57 PM

The Real Bev wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

Federation Internationale de Ski -- despite the name, has all its
rules in English as well as French and German.

There's almost nothing I want to know bad enough to search a PDF file to
find it.

Then why'd you ask, baby bird? ;-)

The flip-30 format takes the top 30 racers in their final practice
run, and reverses the order in the actual race (so, 30th in the
practice = 1 in the race and vice versa). It was done to keep people
in their seats after the top ten came down.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Welcome.

Old February 13th 06, 12:39 AM

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:07:08 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote:

Mary Malmros wrote:

snip

The flip-30 format takes the top 30 racers in their final practice
run, and reverses the order in the actual race (so, 30th in the
practice = 1 in the race and vice versa). It was done to keep people
in their seats after the top ten came down.

Thanks. That makes sense.

Welcome.

If I were doing it I'd draw names out of a hat. Do they think of it in the
same way as handicapping horses?

that is what they used to do.

Then they tried letting the individual competitors choose their start
position (with priority given according to World Cup rankings order).

Then they decided to change to the current system, party to keep
interest up, partly I suspect as a handicapping system, since the
courses are usually best for the early racers.

So now you get many of the top racers deliberately slowing down
through the last few turns in qualifying, just to get themselves an
earlier start - which will backfire if they slow down enough to be
outside the top 30.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
STUPIDITY is NOT a HANDICAP! Park elsewhere!

Olympic team selections tassava Nordic Skiing 3 January 26th 06 10:48 AM
US Olympic Team Marty Alpine Skiing 0 January 25th 06 11:12 PM
Bode Miller wins career-first World Cup downhill koikeeper Alpine Skiing 1 November 28th 04 02:17 AM
Winter Olympic Park Closed? -JP- Nordic Skiing 3 March 1st 04 10:37 PM
Ski Mountaineering Clyde Backcountry Skiing 2 September 23rd 03 09:18 PM