Alpe D'Huez

Old March 29th 05, 10:13 PM
Mahatma

Default Alpe D'Huez

Does anyone know what's its like at Alpe d'Huez at the moment? Is there
likely to be much skiing left there in a couple of weeks?

Old March 30th 05, 08:59 AM
WeatherCam

"Mahatma" wrote in message
news
Does anyone know what's its like at Alpe d'Huez at the moment? Is there
likely to be much skiing left there in a couple of weeks?

Was there last thursday - we went over from Auris Oissans - conditions were
dire down below due to the warm temps and rain - it rained down from 2,200 -
that said still a good base - and if temps drop again- who knows - but
things have to improve dramatically - trouble is any new snow will not hold
on the lower slopes as they have just warmed up too much - up top is a much
better bet - after the rain of Thursday we had a classsic powder day in La
Grave on the Friday - but only down to the mid station at 2,400 from the top
of the glacier.

Touring was a big NO last week as temps were just to high and skis sunk into
the soft snow, we did one run over the back of La Grave into Saint
Christophe and up top at 3,500 snow was like porridge - so we spent next two
days climbing and Via Ferrata etc - then went, out of desparation "piste
cruising" in Alpe d'Huez - mind you, Friday more than made up for the week -
and we have great memories of the other days - I know majority of people
here just go and piste cruise in resorts, but after 3 months can you
remember a specific day, as they all tend to just merge into one - with
guides you'll always do something interesting if the snow is not up to
scratch...... and that's what makes a good trip when you can still recall
each individual day!

Old April 2nd 05, 06:54 PM
davidof

Mahatma wrote:
Does anyone know what's its like at Alpe d'Huez at the moment? Is there
likely to be much skiing left there in a couple of weeks?

I was there today (Saturday). There is still some skiing to be had
despite the lack of snow this winter and some more snow is expected
tonight. Slopes down to Oz quite good although largely artifical. Above
the 1st Tronçon of the DMC the pistes are okay. I didn't got to Auris
but the slopes looked a bit brown. The Signal didn't look too bad
either. Off piste looked, erm, rocky.

We were visiting our friends who run the Chalet de Lac Besson. This is
one place to eat at (but phone to reserve your table). It is on the
cross country trails from the 1st DMC station and is rated by ski writer
Chris Gill as one of the 8th best restaurants in the Alps.