questions on cleaning snowboarding gear!!!

Old February 25th 05, 08:00 PM
todd

my good ol' boarding pants don't really repel water too much anymore

--
especially the upper part of my legs. I was getting ready to coat

them
with spray waterproofer for a solution to the problem, but I'll try

that
kinda stuff first and see if it does the trick. I've washed them

5-10
times before using normal detergent (powder), so maybe that's an

issue.

thx for the tip.
bri

--

well, the wash with TechWash will certainly help, but probably won't
fix your problem since they've already been washed 5 - 10 times. so, i

For the record, I've used those washer waterproofing products and for
me, their effects didn't last long. These days when I buy new gear i
just try to minimize washing (spot clean if needed) and use a
non-detergent wash when i do clean it. This seems to prolong the life,
fwiw.

Old February 25th 05, 08:39 PM
bri719

todd wrote:

well, the wash with TechWash will certainly help, but probably won't
fix your problem since they've already been washed 5 - 10 times. so, i
guess it will help to get rid of detergent residue and clean out pores,
but any surface treatment put on by the manufacturer may be long gone.
if your pants don't have a physical waterproof barrier in them (or even
if they do) you can by other nikwax or similar products that will
reapply waterproofing in a second washing (first washing with TechWash)
or use the spray you mentioned after you wash.

For the record, I've used those washer waterproofing products and for
me, their effects didn't last long. These days when I buy new gear i
just try to minimize washing (spot clean if needed) and use a
non-detergent wash when i do clean it. This seems to prolong the life,
fwiw.

thanx.

I went to REI, they didn't have it but that's the same kind the guy
recommends. he said it's available on their website, because they have
it in the store but always sell out of it pretty quick. I wonder why
they just don't order an extra case and they'd never run out :-)

everything you said seems right, I need some new pants after this season
anyway but a couple more uses in the meantime wouldn't hurt. I just
wanted to make sure I didn't ruin the waterproofing on my jacket and
other equipment in the meantime.

ciao
b.

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old February 28th 05, 08:10 PM
Eric

If it's been a particularly hot day, and i sweated a lot, I use
FeBreeze, or something like it, on the insides of my pants and jackets
(anyone else see a problem with this?). I let them air out overnight
and they're a lot fresher the next morning

I spot clean the outsides, if needed. I try to avoid washing at all
costs.

Eric