Smigun at WC Toblach/Dobbiaco

Old December 10th 03, 07:41 PM
taywood

Default Smigun at WC Toblach/Dobbiaco

If you get chance look at the line Smigun took uphill once she
was in the lead.

The tracks were wide uphill and nicely prepared. The centre
of the track was marked by a line of 'treebranch ends' which
concentrated the racers into two distict lanes (or three
at one point).
When well used each lane tends to get snow skated from the
centre to the outer thus making a slight upslope.
Smigun took advantage of that by straddling the tree bits and
her ski tips were pushed down that slight slope giving her a
slight advantage which noone else seemed to take up-
or did I imagine this.

It could have been disaster of course if the green matter had
adhered to the ski base!
Mike
Old December 11th 03, 01:19 PM
JMC

"taywood" wrote in message
If you get chance look at the line Smigun took uphill once she
was in the lead.

The tracks were wide uphill and nicely prepared. The centre
of the track was marked by a line of 'treebranch ends' which
concentrated the racers into two distict lanes (or three
at one point).
When well used each lane tends to get snow skated from the
centre to the outer thus making a slight upslope.
Smigun took advantage of that by straddling the tree bits and
her ski tips were pushed down that slight slope giving her a
slight advantage which noone else seemed to take up-
or did I imagine this.

It could have been disaster of course if the green matter had
adhered to the ski base!
Mike

Also to be noticed (at least for those among us who are north americans) are
the commentator remarks you can hear on "ToblachMass15kWom1.avi" from 12:40
to 13:30 into the file... If he can say that on the air (about the level of
skiing found in north america), I can only imagine what he can say when the
microphones are off!

JMC

Old December 11th 03, 03:05 PM
Jeff Potter

C'mon, more! Summary please.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old December 11th 03, 08:43 PM
Jeff Potter

Thanks! Yeah, we've haven't done so great lately. But we now seem to have
several N.A. contenders! (Male and female.) Fingers crossed!

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old December 11th 03, 11:17 PM
Jay Tegeder

"JMC" wrote in message news: --

"Beckie Scott still there for Canada. What a good race she is having at the
moment. Remember, her first World Cup race of the season. Many expecting
her to take two or three races to get back into shape. But I know she's been
racing over in Canada and so she was (few words I can't make out). The
standard of racing in Canada so very different to this World Cup. No
disrespect. but.all the best skiers in the world are here, and the
north-americans haven't really featured, except for Beckie Scott, over the
last decade or so."

He's absolutely right! No disrespect to Nina Kemppel, Nancy Fiddler,
Leslie Thompson, Milaine Theriault, Sara Renner, the Fortiers or Wendy
Wagner... However, they're not in the same league as Scott, Belmondo,
DiCenta, Egorova, Skari, Tschepalova, Vaelbe, Lazutina, Danilova or
Smigun. Of course, some of those mentioned were dopers... Even without
the dope, they were still much faster.

The men are a different story though. Bill Koch, Dan Simoneau, Pierre
Harvey, Carl Swenson and now Kris Freeman were and are legitimate
stars.

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT
Old December 11th 03, 11:49 PM
Chequama Mama

I largely agree,

Except for Sara Renner, no she's not quite at the highest level, but she
consistenly does well in the World Cup (Red Group?). If I remember
right she had a couple very sweet races at the Worlds last year.

Hopefully there will be some young american women coming in soon who
will change that, like, Lindsay Weir, Aelin Peterson, Aubrey Smith,
Rebecca Dussault, etc.

Paul

--
Remove the caps to reply