Peter Larsson at Sapporo

Old April 7th 06, 12:07 AM
doogiski doogiski is offline
Senior Member

Default Peter Larsson at Sapporo

I watched the race and when he was leading coming into the final straight he fell. I thought he was going to get up but he just laid there. Then when the camera panned back to that same spot he was off the course. I'm positive that he didn't cross the finish line. Did he injure himself? It's farily uncharacteristic of an athlete of that level to quit even if they did fall so close to the finish.
Cheers,
Adam
Old April 7th 06, 05:33 AM

--
doogiski

Wasn't this a relay race? Which means the whole Swedish team would have
been DNF.

Old April 7th 06, 08:26 AM

ellis kirjoitti:

Wasn't this a relay race? Which means the whole Swedish team would have
been DNF.

FWIW, in FIS lingo it is a "team spring", not a sprint relay. Anyway,
under FIS rules it apparently isn't necessary to finish in sprint
finals to get a result: Team Sweden I (Thobias Fredriksson and Peter
Larsson) was classified as 10th, i.e. behind the 4 "Final A" and the 5
"Final B" teams that did cross the finish line.

If Larsson had "eaten humble pie" and skied the remaining distance, SWE
1 would've been classified 5th, but I'm not too sure that it would've
mattered too much for Fredriksson, the Swedish coach or the
leadership. OTOH it is kind of sporting to finish - at least when it's
not too ridiculous, like Gunde Svan with one arm in a sling or an
alpine skier climbing up for three minutes to make the gate he missed -
but my impression is that many sprint skiers may subscribe to a
different view in that respect.

Anders