Advice needed re Italian resort suitable for first skiing hol

Old December 23rd 04, 10:12 PM
wallace

Default Advice needed re Italian resort suitable for first skiing hol

We're about to book our very first skiing holiday and need some advice. =
We're a family of 4 (2 teenagers) and are looking at Italy during the =
last week in March. Can anyone recommend a resort suitable for =
beginners, not too busy and with lots of snow in late March? We'll be =
booking a package holiday. Any advice would be welcome. TIA.

Jan
Old December 24th 04, 08:31 AM
Carl Edwards

"wallace" wrote in message
We're about to book our very first skiing holiday and need some advice.
We're a family of 4 (2 teenagers) and are looking at Italy during the last
week in March. Can anyone recommend a resort suitable for beginners, not too
busy and with lots of snow in late March? We'll be booking a package
holiday. Any advice would be welcome. TIA.

Jan...

How do any of us know which resorts will have snow in late March? Do what
everyone else does, go high up and improve your chances. Do some research
on the web - google is a good start with a search like "Italian ski resort
beginners late snow". Oh, I wouldn't recommend putting "lots of snow" in
your search, as that's unlikely to produce too many results... and EVEN if
it did - the other term "not too busy" is unlikely to be met in any resort
with "lots of snow" in late season... I think that "lots of people" and
"not too snowy" is more likely to be the case, but you may get lucky with
the weather... no-one knows.

I appreciate that you are obviously inexperienced, but unfortunately what
one person considers to be a "beginners" resort is not always what another
one thinks and on a newsgroup, you are only getting the opinion of one
person most of the time. You're far better off looking at the "Good Ski
Guide" or something or go to the Ski Club of Great Britain site and get some
more considered opinions, rather than that of someone who fancied a chalet
maid in Sauze D'Oulx once so recommends it to you as a good resort...

Old December 24th 04, 09:03 AM

wallace wrote:
We're about to book our very first skiing holiday and need some

advice. We're a family of 4 (2 teenagers) and are looking at Italy
during the last week in March. Can anyone recommend a resort suitable
for beginners, not too busy and with lots of snow in late March? We'll
be booking a package holiday. Any advice would be welcome. TIA.

Why Italy? How much are you planning to spend? Why do you think you
need "lots of snow" (however much that is)? Some resorts require
metres of snow to cover rocks. Some need just a few tens of
centimetres to cover flat, pasture-like slopes. You, on the other
hand, only need the top few centimetres!

Livigno scores fairly well for beginners, though the resort is quite
sprawling and the two sides of the valley aren't linked (apart from by
bus). It's a high, snow-sure resort, so you should be fine well in to
March. It does get very cold, but as it's a duty free resort a nice,
warming whiskey isn't expensive.

La Rosiere (France) has nice, wide pistes for beginners and has an
average of 240cm of snow during the last week of March. The town is
small but has all that you'd need as a self-caterer or chalet guest.
You can also get in to La Thuile in Italy on the same pass.

Whether any resorts are busy depends on which week you're going.
When's Easter next year?

Head on over to http://www.snowheads.com/forum/, register, and ask your
question there. You'd be surprised at the a number of messages that
people post there - it far exceeds this group at the moment. Also look
through the resort pages at http:/www.skiclub.co.uk/

--
Hywel

Old December 25th 04, 07:37 PM

baby, born dead
Large bunch of mustard greens
2 white onions, 1 cup chopped celery
Vegetable oil (or hog fat)
Salt, pepper, garlic, etc.

Lightly brown onions, celery, garlic and meat in large heavy pot.
Add a little water and the greens (which should be thoroughly cleaned and washed).
Smother slowly for at least 2 hours, adding small amounts of water
when it starts to stick.
Stir frequently.
When ready - serve with rice, grilled smoked sausage, green salad, and iced tea.
Coffee and apple pie then brandy.

Maternity Ward Pot Luck Dinner

If you can?t get anything fresh from the hospital, nursery, or morgue;
you can at least get rid of all the leftovers in your refrigerator.

1 - 2 lbs. cubed meat (human flesh, chicken, turkey, beef...)
1 -2 lbs. coarsely chopped vegetables
(carrots, potatoes, turnips, cauliflower, cabbage...)
Bell pepper
onions
garlic
ginger
salt pepper, etc.
Olive oil
butter

Brown the meat and some chopped onions, peppers, and garilic in olive oil,
place in baking dish, layer with vegetables seasoning and butter.
Bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes.
Serve with hot dinner rolls, fruit salad and sparkling water.

Bébé Buffet 1

Show off with whole roasted children replete with apples in mouths -
and babies? heads stuffed with wild rice. Or keep it simple with a
hearty main course such as stew, lasagna, or meat loaf.

Some suggestions

Pre-mie pot pies, beef stew, leg of lamb, stuffed chicken, roast pork spiral ham,
Cranberry pineapple salad, sweet potatoes in butter, vegetable platter, tossed salad with tomato and avocado, parsley new potatoes, spinich cucumber salad, fruit salad
Bran muffins, dinner rolls, soft breadsticks, rice pilaf, croissants
Apple cake with rum sauce, frosted banana

Old December 25th 04, 09:10 PM
Carl Edwards

side up in a large metal roasting pan.
Bake in 325° oven covered for 2 hours.
Remove cover, stick a cooking thermometer deep into one of the
baby?s buttocks and cook uncovered till thermometer reads 190°,
about another hour.

Pro-Choice Po-Boy

Soft-shelled crabs serve just as well in this classic southern delicacy.
The sandwich originated in New Orleans, where an abundance of abortion clinics
thrive and hot French bread is always available.

2 cleaned fetuses, head on
2 eggs
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 cup seasoned flour
oil enough for deep frying
1 loaf French bread
Lettuce
tomatoes
mayonnaise, etc.

Marinate the fetuses in the egg-mustard mixture.
Dredge thoroughly in flour.
Fry at 375° until crispy golden brown.
Remove and place on paper towels.

Holiday Youngster

One can easily adapt this recipe to ham, though as presented,
it violates no religious taboos against swine.

1 large toddler or small child, cleaned and de-headed
Kentucky Bourbon Sauce (see index)
1 large can pineapple slices
Whole cloves

Place him (or ham) or her in a large glass baking dish, buttocks up.
Tie with butcher string around and across so that he looks like
he?s crawling.
Glaze, then arrange pineapples and secure with cloves.
Bake uncovered in 350° oven till thermometer reaches 160°.

Cajun Babies

Old December 27th 04, 07:33 PM
Nick Hounsome

"wallace" wrote in message
We're about to book our very first skiing holiday and need some advice.
We're a family of 4 (2 teenagers) and are looking at Italy during the last
week in March. Can anyone recommend a resort suitable for beginners, not too
busy and with lots of snow in late March? We'll be booking a package
holiday. Any advice would be welcome. TIA.

Jan

Sestriere looked good for beginners when I popped over from Sauze d'Oulx. It
is also supposed to be pretty snow-sure.
It also looks suitable from the write up in "Where to Ski and Snowboard
2005" which you should really get.

Nick

Old January 4th 05, 03:46 PM
Ollie Clark

wallace wrote:
We're about to book our very first skiing holiday and need some

advice. We're a family of 4 (2 teenagers) and are looking at Italy
during the last week in March. Can anyone recommend a resort suitable
for beginners, not too busy and with lots of snow in late March? We'll
be booking a package holiday. Any advice would be welcome. TIA.

[snip]

Livigno scores fairly well for beginners, though the resort is quite
sprawling and the two sides of the valley aren't linked (apart from by
bus). It's a high, snow-sure resort, so you should be fine well in to
March. It does get very cold, but as it's a duty free resort a nice,
warming whiskey isn't expensive.

'twas absolutely boiling (in skiing terms) when I went there last year in
mid-March but YMMV! It was looking a bit cold last week but seems to have
warmed up a bit again now. The good thing about Livigno for begginers is
that there are so many nursery slopes along the valley that your apartment
is never going to be more than about 5 minutes away from a slope.

The split between the two sides isn't going to be that much of a hassle
for beginners if you're on the carosello side, but it could be a bit
limiting if you're on the other side, I guess.

[snip]

--
"Fighting terrorists with a military invasion is like trying to kill
a bee by shooting its beehive with a shotgun." - Anonymous, USENET