Goggle advice please?

Old November 18th 05, 07:08 AM

Default Goggle advice please?

Can anybody advise me on how to select goggles? I got into
snowboarding last winter after about 15 years of not doing it and was
ok with sunglasses while reacquainting my butt with the bunny slope,
but I am getting my groove back so I need goggles. I have looked at
some shops but so many seem to sit too high on my face, as if my
cheekbones are too high for the goggles. If I slide the goggles down,
my nose is pinched enough to restrict breathing.
If anybody understands what I am rambling about here and/or can tell
me how goggles are supposed to fit, that would be great.
Old November 18th 05, 12:57 PM

Jerry Baltimore wrote:

Can anybody advise me on how to select goggles?

Heads and faces are not limited to a single size or shape, but most
goggles are a single size. Also, even when a company makes a goggle in
different sizes many stores only carry one size.

Try different brands. Goggles are like shoes. Even though two models
from different brands are the same size, they will fit differently.

Check a few online catalogs. Some indicate if a goggle is available in
small, medium and large.

Dean
Old November 18th 05, 01:52 PM

Quality Oakley goggles (a frame and Wisdom) are the best I've used and
I've used a lot.. A-frame is best for small faces and Wisdom is best
for larger faces. Sounds like you need the A-frame.

I like Oakley goggles because the optics and clarity are superior and
more importantly they resist scratching better than most.

Old November 18th 05, 10:00 PM

Can anybody advise me on how to select goggles? I got into
snowboarding last winter after about 15 years of not doing it and was
ok with sunglasses while reacquainting my butt with the bunny slope,
but I am getting my groove back so I need goggles. I have looked at
some shops but so many seem to sit too high on my face, as if my
cheekbones are too high for the goggles. If I slide the goggles down,
my nose is pinched enough to restrict breathing.
If anybody understands what I am rambling about here and/or can tell
me how goggles are supposed to fit, that would be great.

Definitely go to a store with a good selection and try on every one you can
get your hands on. When I got my current goggles the salesguy had me try on
all the popular models but none of them really fit well, then I spied
another more obscure brand on the top shelf and 'lo and behold they were a
perfect fit, style, and the price wasn't too bad either.

Steve

Old November 19th 05, 12:38 AM

og wrote:
Quality Oakley goggles (a frame and Wisdom) are the best I've used and
I've used a lot.. A-frame is best for small faces and Wisdom is best
for larger faces. Sounds like you need the A-frame.

I like Oakley goggles because the optics and clarity are superior and
more importantly they resist scratching better than most.

For years I was riding Arnette "The Goggle" Goggles and they are pretty
good. Now I'm wearing a pair of Oakley A-Frames that I found in a
super-clearance bin at REI and they are also really nice (if you can
get them for less than their normal price). For fit you will have to
try them out at the store to make sure, but I think you should look at
goggles with thicker padding to balance our your facial features.

Good luck

Old November 19th 05, 11:17 PM

I also wear Oakley A-Frames and love 'em. The other goggles I really
like are Spy Orbit. They have a similar fit to the A-Frame

http://www.spyoptic.com/the_products...ame=Snow/Orbit

~J.

Old November 26th 05, 11:11 AM

khg

Old November 28th 05, 03:18 PM

Can anybody advise me on how to select goggles?

What everyobne else said - try on a bunch of different ones. If you wear a
helmet, try them on with your helmet. I am also an Oakley A-Frame kind of
guy, they fit well with or without my helmet (not that I ever ride without
my helmet - but I wear them when I take my kid sledding too)

Regarding the Oakleys: the non-Iridium lenses will save you $35 - $40, so
check if any of the non-Iridum lenses will work for you color-wise.

Mike T

Old November 29th 05, 11:54 AM

If it wouldn't be awkward, I wouldn't take off my Anon Halcyon forever... No
fogging plus highest comfort ever..