Help in choosing gear for a new boarder

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 24th 06, 11:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Help in choosing gear for a new boarder

I have been reading a lot online recently about what equipment is
recommended in terms of boards, bindings, boots, etc. but the problem
is that I am based in Japan and there tends to be a lot less choice
here for someone my size - 6 foot, 225 pounds, 30cm shoes (US12?)

As such, I am tempted to order from the US, especially as there appear
to be a lot of vendors selling direct to the Japanese market.

However, although I am sure I can decide on boots, bindings and what to
wear, the board is an area that seems trickiest, given that I am heavy.

Many sites recommend trying out many boards to see which fit me and
also there is a lot of mention of the concept of demoing a board,
almost a try before you buy scheme, but I am not sure if this sort of
scheme exists here.

I tried skiing here many years ago and the rental equipment available
in my size was scarce and in generally poor condition. The first day I
went out on my own skis, I was much much better from the off, so I am
eager to buy my board from the start.

It would seem that for stiffness, I certainly need a 160+ board, if not
165 with a width of say 250+

Does anyone have any general suggestions about how to take the plunge
and go for the right board? Also, how will I know if I have made the
right decision - I may just be crap...

Thanks for any advice you can offer...

Jester