Headlamp Recommendations

Old December 24th 04, 03:41 AM
Steve H

Default Headlamp Recommendations

To All:

My 6 or 7 year old halogen headlamp broke and I can't fix it so I am
looking for a replacement. I only use it in emergencies such as having
to ski out in the dark and see the trail. Using it to read a book in a
tent is NOT important. These days, there are both halogen and LED
headlamps available. Any recommendations on LED v. halogen and any
recommendations on particular models is appreciated. If it takes AA
batteries that is a plus as my beacon runs on AA's too.

Thanks,

Steve
Old December 24th 04, 04:40 AM
H.W. Stockman

"Steve H" wrote in message
To All:

My 6 or 7 year old halogen headlamp broke and I can't fix it so I am
looking for a replacement. I only use it in emergencies such as having
to ski out in the dark and see the trail. Using it to read a book in a
tent is NOT important. These days, there are both halogen and LED
headlamps available. Any recommendations on LED v. halogen and any
recommendations on particular models is appreciated. If it takes AA
batteries that is a plus as my beacon runs on AA's too.

How big a lamp do you want? Do you want one that lets you keep the batteries
by your body (to keep them warm), or an all-on-the-head unit?

The only headlamp I've ever owned is a Petzl Tikka LED, which uses 3 AAAa.
I've found this lamp great for night walking and getting around the
campsite, but I admit I've never tried to ski by its light alone. For me,
weight was a premium concern, as I always have the lamp in my daypack.

(For 40 years, I insisted I could get the same functionality from a handheld
light... boy was I wrong. Not that I haven't X-C skied at night -- but only
in times of full moon, without any secondary light.)

There are many LED lights that run off AAs. Now Energizer is selling Li AAA
batteries, but Li AAs are a lot more common, and cheaper per mAh.

There are dual LED/Halogen headlamps-- e.g. Petzl Duo LED 5.

Old December 24th 04, 06:37 AM
Matti

LED light is extremely good for camp chores, leisurely walking, reading etc.
but the light scatters widely, so for orienteering, running or looking for
ski track in dark halogen light is superior.
Matti

Old December 24th 04, 01:09 PM
BobT

"Steve H" wrote in message
To All:

My 6 or 7 year old halogen headlamp broke and I can't fix it so I am
looking for a replacement. I only use it in emergencies such as having to
ski out in the dark and see the trail. Using it to read a book in a tent
is NOT important. These days, there are both halogen and LED headlamps
available. Any recommendations on LED v. halogen and any recommendations
on particular models is appreciated. If it takes AA batteries that is a
plus as my beacon runs on AA's too.

Thanks,

Steve

I would get a dual light model. When you need really bright light, use the
halogen source which will deplete the batteries in a few hours. When you
need a prolonged light source, use the LED source which can be powered for
tens of hours by the batteries. A would recommend the petzl myo 5 or the
myo 5 belt.

BobT

Old December 24th 04, 02:22 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old December 25th 04, 06:03 AM
Steve H

Steve H wrote:
To All:

My 6 or 7 year old halogen headlamp broke and I can't fix it so I am
looking for a replacement. I only use it in emergencies such as having
to ski out in the dark and see the trail. Using it to read a book in a
tent is NOT important. These days, there are both halogen and LED
headlamps available. Any recommendations on LED v. halogen and any
recommendations on particular models is appreciated. If it takes AA
batteries that is a plus as my beacon runs on AA's too.

Thanks,

Steve

To those who replied, thanks.

I really do not want to spend lots of money on a headlamp that I will
seldom use. The old one that broke cost me under $20 and sat in my pack
most of the time and was only used a few times over the 6 or 7 years
that I owned it. Each time was when I had to ski or hike out in the
dark due to unexpected circumstances. Some of the recommendations here
are real expensive for something that I will seldom use.

Steve
Old December 25th 04, 06:38 PM
H.W. Stockman

"Steve H" wrote in message
Steve H wrote:

[...]
I really do not want to spend lots of money on a headlamp that I will
seldom use. The old one that broke cost me under $20 and sat in my pack
most of the time and was only used a few times over the 6 or 7 years
that I owned it. Each time was when I had to ski or hike out in the
dark due to unexpected circumstances. Some of the recommendations here
are real expensive for something that I will seldom use.

Many Petzl LED lamps are ~$20. My Tikka stays in my pack most of the time,
and is very light (pardon the pun). One gets something like 17 hours on
three AAA batteries.

At www.sierratradingpost.com:

Black Diamond Equipment Gemini Headlamp
For hands-free nighttime illumination, whether on a rockface or at a
campsite, Black Diamond equipment delivers. Long life xenon halogen lamp.
Prismatic reflector for brighter light. Has three... More Detail
Price $15.95 Reg. $38.50 Save 58% # 99031

Princeton Tech Matrix II Led Headlamp
Light it up! For sports requiring hands-free illumination, here's a compact,
lightweight headlamp from Princeton Tech that combines the best of an L.E.D.
and a halogen bulb into... More Detail
Price $24.95 Reg. $39.95 Save 37% # 98050

Old December 28th 04, 06:55 AM
Steve H

H.W. Stockman wrote:
"Steve H" wrote in message
> [...]

Steve H wrote:

[...]

[...]

HW:

Thanks for the info.

I looked at some headlamps on a few websites and at a local shop and
decided to get a BD Gemini. BTW, the old headlamp that broke was a
Princeton Tech and I always felt that it had some design weaknesses.

Steve