T-2s versus T-3s, or are the "bigger boots for bigger skis" adherents too rigid?

Old December 19th 03, 01:18 PM
Jon

_ Are you sure about the TM:22's? While they are a great ski for
hard conditions, there are better skis for variable crud. What
kind of conditions exactly are you having difficulties with and
where do you ski?

I'm having trouble with variable crud (kind found in New
England--e.g., lately it was pockets of heavy powder interspersed with
refrozen melt spots). (And I get a deal on Atomics, so that's where
my focus has been).

Based on what you say, the TM:EX sounds like it might be a better
option. Bindings are Riva Z. How different bindings affect
performance is clearly something I need to learn more about. Thanks
for the new angle.
Old December 19th 03, 04:24 PM

In article ,
Jon wrote:

_ Are you sure about the TM:22's? While they are a great ski for
hard conditions, there are better skis for variable crud. What
kind of conditions exactly are you having difficulties with and
where do you ski?

I'm having trouble with variable crud (kind found in New
England--e.g., lately it was pockets of heavy powder interspersed with
refrozen melt spots). (And I get a deal on Atomics, so that's where
my focus has been).

_ You might want to stick with the TM:22's then TM:EX's are
pretty good on the hard stuff for a fat ski, but driving them
with T3's might be difficult. However, there's no substitute
for actually demoing the skis in the snow conditions you
want to ski. As a general rule of thumb, I think you need
a fairly stiff boot to drive a ski bigger than about 80mm
underfoot. Of course, for every rule you come up with there's
somebody happily breaking it.

_ Atomic seems to be missing a ski in that 75mm-80mm
sweet spot, but the Beta stuff produces a ski with
a lot of torsional stiffness. For a ski of that width
they are probably as good in crud as you can find.

Based on what you say, the TM:EX sounds like it might be a better
option.

_ Depends on how comfortable you are on your TM:10's. If you want
just a "powder ski" then the TM:EX would be fine for New England
skiing. A strong skier could use it as an everyday ski out West,
but you need a relative stiff boot/binding to edge it on the hard
stuff ( or as hard as it gets out here... )

Bindings are Riva Z. How different bindings affect
performance is clearly something I need to learn more about. Thanks
for the new angle.

_ Well, if you want to get the HammerHead religion drop on over
to telemarktips.com. While there's nothing "wrong" with the Riva
Z, there are bindings that offer a lot more control. The binding
issue of Couloir Magazine will go into this in great if not
always useful detail. If your Atomic deal extends to Black
Diamond, I'd look at BD's newer offerings. If not, then it's
hard to go wrong with G3's. You can look at previous year's
reviews of tele bindings at

http://www.couloirmag.com/

_ Hope that was useful.

_ Booker C. Bense