TR: Awesome week in Winter Park

Old March 6th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

Default TR: Awesome week in Winter Park

Days 10-15

As previously written we arrived in WP during a 10" storm Sunday
night. That was followed up by somewhere around 4" every day until
the sun came out on Saturday. Wednesday and Thursday were below zero
days so only the hardiest/most desperate of us were out there. These
were just awesome days. I was riding with a couple of friends who are
more skilled, practiced and in better shape than me. They enjoy
ripping the Mary Jane bump runs top to bottom with no rest. I'm
hoping next week I'll be with them turn for turn but last week I
needed tactics. One of them is a boarder and the other likes his
boots so tight that unbuckling for the lift ride is necessary. At the
top of the lift I would jet out in front of them, do about half the
run then stop and rest. When they came into sight I would continue
but usually need to stop again. On Monday I only did two runs with
them as I just wasn't able to keep up. Tuesday and Wednesday I was
catching up to them in the lift line or on the Corona Way cat track.
By Thursday I was still stopping to rest once or twice but since my
pace is a bit faster than them I was waiting for them at the lift more
often than not.

I skied mainly the runs accessed by the "C" chair, the Sunny Side
trees accessed by the Timberline chair and the 40 Glades. Starting
early, I was able to hit the chutes while they still had really nice
snow a couple of times. I also skied several runs off the new Eagle
Wind chair which is really nice treed terrain. It's nice to have the
chair there but I must say it has transformed Backside Parsenn from
one of those special runs that you could always count on for fresh
tracks days after the storm into merely great terrain that gets skied
out fairly quickly. That's progress for ya.

Saturday and Sunday were relatively warm and very sunny days. As
opposed to Summit County, Winter Park gets mega busy on nice weekend
days. By 8:15 there's barely a parking spot to be found. Super
Gauge, "C" chair and Timberline all had long waits. Maybe next year
I'll do WP during the week then go to ABasin on the weekends.
Now it's back to Copper for more fun in the sun and..... rain?

Later,
Chris