Marwe Question

Old May 15th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Default Marwe Question

Hi: I think I know the answer to this question since I looked at the
Finn Sisu website and searched this forum and other sources.

Has anyone come up with any sort of speed reducer for a Marwe skate
roller ski? I was just given (yes, given) a set and haven't used
them yet. In fact, I've never roller skied preferring to ski on snow
about 100 times per year and bicycle and hike in the summer for
exercise. I'm not interested in dedicating summer "training" towards
any goal other than having fun and staying fitter than the average
American FatA$$. That's why I've never roller skied - no reason to
unless it's actually fun. In fact I bristle when the stuff I do is
called "training" because for me it's just recreation, sport, fun, not
goal directed other than the above.

So now I have these things which I understand are actually top quality
roller skis. And, I am interested in trying it to see if it's fun -
especially if I can get some upper body work.

However, it seems that everyone I know around here who roller skis
uses the Jenex V2 with speed reducer. I'm concerned about speed
having no skills at slowing, stopping or avoiding hazards. My plan
right now is to do some easy double poling and skiing on dead flat
roads in an industrial area (light to no traffic), but would like to
go out and do some uphill work - but would have to get down somehow.
Maybe I'll end up staging a bike at the top or something.

Thanks for any advice.
Old May 15th 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

On May 15, 11:47 am, Camilo wrote:
[...]

PS: I consider myself proficient at most things involving skis or
skates: I grew up downhill skiing and skating since I could walk. I
played hockey and was pretty good alpine and water skier. I've done a
little roller skating and had no problems. I've XC skied - including
skate, classic and tele for about 40 years, and one legged balance is
my forte (unfortunately, the motor isn't so great!)
Old May 16th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Camilo wrote:

On May 15, 11:47 am, Camilo wrote:
Hi: I think I know the answer to this question since I looked at the
Finn Sisu website and searched this forum and other sources.

Has anyone come up with any sort of speed reducer for a Marwe skate
roller ski? I was just given (yes, given) a set and haven't used

I've seen hints at the idea, but don't know if anyone's posted
anything.

Rollerskis can be like learning to ski as an adult. Even the slightest
short downgrade, something that you could handle taking a drink,
adjusting your eqpt, etc., on snow, feels a bit like descending a
mountain. Good idea to start on flats and that should partly mitigate
the fear. Normally, it's suggested people start on wider wheels, such
as the combi, but being as you have skates find yourself an empty
parking lot or lesser used trail, and do the same sorts of drills that a
beginner would do on snow: slow no pole skate back and forth, double
poling, slow V1 and V2 alternate. Get the feel for the skates and the
fear of being on pavement first. If need be, get some knee and elbow
pads (and do wear gloves). When you're ready to try some short
downhills, consider stopping at the top and taking it like a beginner,
i.e., either a short straight run (keep breathing) or doing a snow plow
off and on, pressing down. Here's some good photos/video of how to do
it:

- http://www.fasterskier.com/training1065.html
- http://skinnyski.com/training/articl...rskiing-1.html

RM
Old May 16th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Dave M-K

I think I saw a picture in Silent Sports a couple years ago of someone who
used the Jenex brake on Marwes. I don't have the issue anymore but maybe
someone else recalls this. The Jenex brake goes behind your calf and, I
believe, you slide the rollerski forward to engage it.

I am not a huge fan or rollerskis but they help help ease the transition to
snow. I typically start rolling in Sept or Oct, just a couple times a week.
It does really help the upper body since in recent years I've done much less
paddling in the summer and more running and biking.

Dave

Old May 16th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On May 15, 2:47*pm, Camilo wrote:
[...]

I have a friend who has designed some of the earo equipment and aux
brakes that were used on Lance's TT bikes at the Tour. I've been
talking to him about designing speed reducers for Marwe's. We haven't
persued it that much. The big question is "Is there a demand" for
something you could engage at the top of a hill and go down at a
slower speed. And how much would you be willing to pay for such a
thing? I think they would be very much the same as the V2 approach.
We're talking reducers not brakes. The V2 brakes are way too clunky
and heavy in my opinion. Is $50 too much?
Old May 17th 08, 02:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
mountainwalker

On May 16, 10:21 am, wrote:
On May 15, 2:47 pm, Camilo wrote:

[...]

Have you worked out the installation of the speed reducer on a Marwe
ski? Since the Marwe ski is not made of aluminum like the Jenex,
installation could be trickier. I had heard though of someone in MN
who had successfully made and installed his own speed reducers. I
think it would be very helpful for downhill - there are a lot of
people who use the Jenex roller skis particularly because of the speed
reducers and some because of the brake as well. Finn Sisu will say
that you can always put slower wheels on a Marwe ski, but that's not
the same as having a speed reducer that you can adjust on the fly for
downhills or harder slower training on flats. I think Marwe roller
skiers would really appreciate a speed reducer if it could be done
well - I know from one of the guys at Finn Sisu and a shop in England
that a lot of people ask for them. I think you'd need a thin steel
face place above and below the ski as a support sandwiching the
plastic/fiberglass shaft to screw the speed reducer securely to the
ski. Please let me know if you do produce one.

BTW, the Jenex brake is a very well designed piece of gear and super
LIGHT. Len at Jenex is a very talented engineer and he's constantly
innovating. They make very high quality gear.
Old May 20th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Thanks for the words of wisdom and video clip links everyone. One of
these days I'm going to get some carbide tips put on some old skating
poles and give these suckers a try. I have hockey elbow pads, but no
knee pads. Maybe I should just wear my hockey breezers and shin pads,
helmet with full face mask and shoulder pads? I think with that gear,
I'd feel nekkid without the cup though.... 8-)

Anyway, I'm going to give them a go in a newly paved, flat industrial
area in the evening, and at the very least get some upper body work
in.

Thanks again.
Old May 20th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Camilo

Oh, another question!!

Is roller skiing hard on boots? I have an old, but perfectly
functional pair of skate boots, but just this spring bought some brand
spankin' new Solomon S-Lab boots on sale. I'm thinking I don't want
those nice new boots coming anywhere near pavement?
Old May 20th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Yes, rollerskiing is harder on boots, tho I haven't destroyed any like
some others have reported. I use my old bumblebee pilot boots from 1999.
I'd probably benefit from a less worn-in pair with more stiffness left
in the forefoot, but the one time I tried the newer RS skate, they hurt
after an hour and the carbon soles seemed to take trail vibration
harder. The disadvantage with the older Salomon skate boots is that
ankle flex is more limited, so I keep the strap pretty loose. BTW, I've
recently found that the light Bridgstone socks with sole padding are
more resistant to vibration than the light Craft's.

rm