Palmer Power Links & high-backs question

Old January 3rd 04, 06:13 PM
R-nee

Default Palmer Power Links & high-backs question

"msegal" wrote in message
I wear size 11 boots and ride a Burton Custom. I never really seemed to

have
a problem with the fact my boots hang over the toe edge of my board by

about
an inch. Nevertheless, I'm thinking about getting Palmer Power Links
(risers, essentially)--just in case. The ad material claims they also
increase leverage and dampen vibration (not that I've ever had a problem
with the latter anyway). Sounds great, but the base model starts at
$70--kind of a lot of a plastic disc.

My normal boot size is also 11 but on my snowboard boot it says 13,5 despite
the fact that I have wide HEAD Ignition Power Links still help in terms of
control. I bought my self a standard version and it really does the job,
however once I've tested Palmer Shape (too narow for my foot without links)
and Shock Power Links it was a really good feel!

rgrds,
R-nee.

Old January 3rd 04, 09:29 PM
Rob.

"msegal" wrote in message
I wear size 11 boots and ride a Burton Custom. I never really seemed to

have
a problem with the fact my boots hang over the toe edge of my board by

about
an inch. Nevertheless, I'm thinking about getting Palmer Power Links
(risers, essentially)--just in case. The ad material claims they also
increase leverage and dampen vibration (not that I've ever had a problem
with the latter anyway). Sounds great, but the base model starts at
$70--kind of a lot of a plastic disc.

One other question: I'm thinking about buying some Burton Custom bindings.

freeride mostly and wonder if the high-back isn't quite high enough. The
Mission binding is about an inch higher. Would that extra height translate
into much of a benefit for freeriding?

Hmmm. Well I rode customs for a while and found them really flexy. If you're
after precision and control, you probably want to go much stiffer. I'm now
using p1mds with a custom board and it seems a reasonable compromise between
stiffness for high speed and flex for landing (or not landing :-) jumps. If
you want to stick with Burton, the missions are generally well liked or you
could even go for the c14/16.

Rob.

Old January 4th 04, 01:01 AM
Chet Hayes

What about the heelside? Is the overhang the same? Most bindings
have adjustments to equalize the toe and heel overhang. I'd make sure
they are centered across the board before doing anything else.
Old January 5th 04, 02:12 PM
Dismantler

"msegal" wrote in message
I wear size 11 boots and ride a Burton Custom. I never really seemed to

have
a problem with the fact my boots hang over the toe edge of my board by

about
an inch. Nevertheless, I'm thinking about getting Palmer Power Links
(risers, essentially)--just in case. The ad material claims they also
increase leverage and dampen vibration (not that I've ever had a problem
with the latter anyway). Sounds great, but the base model starts at
$70--kind of a lot of a plastic disc.

One other question: I'm thinking about buying some Burton Custom bindings.

freeride mostly and wonder if the high-back isn't quite high enough. The
Mission binding is about an inch higher. Would that extra height translate
into much of a benefit for freeriding?

I use the standard Palmer Powerlinks with Drake Podium bindings on a BMC 166
for freeriding.

You do not necessarily have to get Burton bindings, but if you are set on a
pair, you'll probably want a stiffer pair than customs, I think those are
Burton's lower end model. Not sure what they cost, but I got my Podiums for
about what the Customs would have cost me. Drake also makes some lower-end
bindings than the Podiums if you are on a budget, you should be able to find
a pair of last year's model on closeout.

You can also check for used gear. I remember a few years ago someone offered
me their Burton Custom board with Custom bindings on it for $200.

Good luck whatever you decide. I would look for bindings with more stiffness
personally.

Old January 5th 04, 09:39 PM
Sharkie

"msegal" wrote in message ...
I wear size 11 boots and ride a Burton Custom. I never really seemed to have
a problem with the fact my boots hang over the toe edge of my board by about
an inch.

You will have a problem when you start to carve, and also on steeper
(icy) terrain. I have same size boots, and made many wash-outs
before because of toes touching the snow (and consecutive edge loss).
I bought myself Palmer Links(20cm version), and yes, even though it seems
expensive for such a simple product, it helped my riding tremendously,
so I can't complain.