Obstacles in travelling with double board bag

Old November 23rd 03, 11:32 AM
Sam

Default Obstacles in travelling with double board bag

I am travelling from Sydney to Munich via Hong Kong in December. I have a
double board bag that seems huge.

My wife is anxious about how we will fare in travelling to and from airports
and whether the airlines are likely to give us grief. We are going with
Qantas to Hong Kong and them with Luftansa to Germany. From germany we
eventually go to Paris, Venice, Rome, Singapore then back to Sydney.

Can anyone suggest what obstacles I am likely to strike and how to get
around them. Assuming of course that I dont leave the boards at home.

Thanks

Old November 23rd 03, 08:05 PM
Sam

A happy Pom is a rare thing. It should be encouraged!

"WeatherCam" wrote in message
Don't be "boring"...

Regards

A Happy Pom!!

Old November 23rd 03, 09:42 PM
phil

A happy Pom is a rare thing. It should be encouraged!
Only every 37 years or so.

Board bags. I've never had a problem, including flying through some places
which you might not expect to be particularly board friendly. Presumably
it's critically dependent upon the airline and your attitude. Heathrow's
usually full of people from down under with surf boards and stuff, and I
don't think they have much trouble.

Things to watch out for (some obvious):
- don't leave anything unattended for a minute, especially in the uk as
it'll get blown up by the security guys or stolen by someone else
- some airports either have no trolleys or they charge for them... wheelie
bags are best
- some countries taxis aren't big enough for boards
- there's not much snow in Singapore
- you'll usually have to check your bag in an "outsized baggage" place;
they don't generally fit down the standard conveyors
- some places your board will appear in a different place from everybody
else's kit
- baggage handlers will try to tear the handles off your bag

phil

Old November 24th 03, 02:16 AM
4matic

Say they are skis and they might not look. Say boards and the tarrif might
go up. Boards have a higher posted
tarriff than skis. Like surf boards.

Old November 24th 03, 02:55 AM
Baretta

Best to check with the airline's website about their policies.

In Canada - the national airlines allow 1 set per bag per passenger free -
either a skis or snowboards and a pair of boots. Some have restrictions on
the size/weight.

I've travelled with the soft travel bags just fine. Do edge pad the boards
so they dont cut through the bag.
If you're really packing a set - get a hard bag with wheels - which will
handle the weight and abuse a lot better.

"Sam" wrote in message
I am travelling from Sydney to Munich via Hong Kong in December. I have a
double board bag that seems huge.

My wife is anxious about how we will fare in travelling to and from

airports
and whether the airlines are likely to give us grief. We are going with
Qantas to Hong Kong and them with Luftansa to Germany. From germany we
eventually go to Paris, Venice, Rome, Singapore then back to Sydney.

Can anyone suggest what obstacles I am likely to strike and how to get
around them. Assuming of course that I dont leave the boards at home.

Thanks

Fakie board recommendation Skitzo Snowboarding 9 May 13th 04 11:03 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 06:22 PM
Board sizing... Brett Snowboarding 1 October 19th 03 11:07 PM
Boots pinch front of ankle... Tall Rider Brett Snowboarding 11 October 7th 03 02:02 AM
weight of board on life hurts knee Baretta Snowboarding 1 August 21st 03 11:54 PM