Best Cold Weather Kick Wax

Old February 21st 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Best Cold Weather Kick Wax

I'm returning to skiing after a few years injury-leave and was just
wondering if there is still a consensus that Rhode Special Green is
the best cold weather kick wax? Or, is there a new flourinated cold
wax that gives better performance?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
Old February 25th 08, 11:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Blowhardbuster

On Feb 21, 3:53 pm, wrote:
I'm returning to skiing after a few years injury-leave and was just
wondering if there is still a consensus that Rhode Special Green is
the best cold weather kick wax? Or, is there a new flourinated cold
wax that gives better performance?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Why do you pick Rode? I don't think they make flourinated grip waxes.
Old February 25th 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

They do make a few fluoros: http://www.rodewax.it/ing/03nordicPFing.htm

Rode regular hard waxes are considered among the very best and are
widely used by racers and wax teams. However, like any wax brand, some
are better than others relative to other brands. Rode Green is
excellent in cold snow, tho for Special Green I've heard Rex Mantyranta
mentioned as better. My sense is that for fluoros people turn to Swix
or or Ski-go or others.

Old February 25th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Forgot to mention that Rode waxes run much colder than the cannister or
site chart show. For example, their Multigrade blue/green (-3/-7C) runs
well in the low teens and Super Blue is worth testing on even colder
snow because it doesn't ice up. Very versatile brand.

Old February 25th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Blowhardbuster wrote:
On Feb 21, 3:53 pm, wrote:
I'm returning to skiing after a few years injury-leave and was just
wondering if there is still a consensus that Rhode Special Green is
the best cold weather kick wax? *Or, is there a new flourinated cold
wax that gives better performance?

Thanks *in advance,

Jon

Why do you pick Rode? *I don't think they make flourinated grip waxes.- Hide quoted text -

Rode does make fluro grip waxes, both stick and klister.

When the Rode grip waxes work (i.e. enough grip) for me, they are fast
and generally seem good at not icing.

The downside is that Rode is not supported with technical advice
during American races as is Toko and Swix. You are on our own with
Rode recommendations.

I would be interested in equivalent wax recommendations so that if
Toko recommends Carbon Red, does that mean Rode MG Violet or if Swix
recommends Blue Extra or VR-40, does that mean use Rode Super Blue.
Old February 25th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

It's not quite that simple, since Rode waxes are often broader
range. It's something you have to experiment with to get the feel.
Do a search in the google rsn archives for Rode. There were a couple
posts with specific recs a few years ago.

Old February 25th 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

wrote:
The downside is that Rode is not supported with technical advice
during American races as is Toko and Swix. *You are on our own with
Rode recommendations.

I would be interested in equivalent wax recommendations so that if
Toko recommends Carbon Red, does that mean Rode MG Violet or if Swix
recommends Blue Extra or VR-40, does that mean use Rode Super Blue.- Hide quoted text -

Yup. That's the problem. Rode waxes are ones where the temparature
ranges printed on the cans do not seem to match the West Coast and
Rockie Mountain conditions that I've used the Rodes.

The complication is that as an skier not supported by a waxing team,
it is not easy to get good comparative relationships between say the
Rodes and Swix or Toko waxes. I've been left to when the wax feels
good enought, start skiing.

It seems that Rode Super Blue works as good or better than Swix Blue
Extra at the warm side of Blue Extra and Rode MG Blue works well at
the low end of the Blue Extra range. Rode MG Violet seems to work
well between Blue Extra and Spec Red. Rode Spec Green works when its
too cold and dry for Toko Carbon Blue.

But as noted in my earlier post, it would be interesting to see a
equivalency chart for Rode vs. Swix and Toko.

Edgar
Old February 28th 08, 11:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Blowhardbuster

On Feb 25, 6:46 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:18:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:
The downside is that Rode is not supported with technical advice
during American races as is Toko and Swix. You are on our own with
Rode recommendations.

Yeah, the same is true for glide waxes, and makes me think importers
could sell more if they set up a system of recommendations for races.

Thanks for the erudite replies. I bought some Rode waxes a couple of
years ago, but I haven't opened my wax box since then. Basically, I
have found that using Ski Tape and abrading an extruded ski base
covers all the skiing I do now.
Old February 28th 08, 12:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Blowhardbuster

wrote:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:18:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:
The downside is that Rode is not supported with technical advice
during American races as is Toko and Swix. You are on our own with
Rode recommendations.

Yeah, the same is true for glide waxes, and makes me think importers
could sell more if they set up a system of recommendations for races.

Thanks for the erudite replies. I bought some Rode waxes a couple of
years ago, but I haven't opened my wax box since then. Basically, I
have found that using Ski Tape and abrading an extruded ski base
covers all the skiing I do now.

In addition I haven't seen much snow in the last two seasons.
However, I checked my box and don't have any cold Rode's in it.