tele boot fit

Old January 8th 04, 02:46 AM
dave

Default tele boot fit

i am new to the sport (long-time alpiner) and i just bought a pair of
scarpa T2's. when I bend low, there is a lot of pressure on top of the
foot over the bellows. does this mean the boot is too tight or is this
standard for tele boots? will the fit improve as i break in the boot?
thanks for any advice regarding the fit.

-dave
Old January 8th 04, 09:53 AM
Peter Clinch

Martin Thornquist wrote:

Some pressure is normal, but it shouldn't hurt. If you cannot make it
not hurt by adjusting the buckles the boots probably don't fit you.

Best way to fit a plastic tele boot is try them all on: AFAICT there's
only Scarpa, Crsipi and Garmont in the market so this isn't quite as
silly a comment as it might seem. They're all slightly different shapes
and fit different feet better (my gf found Scarpas a little uncomfy on
the top of the foot too, the Garmonts to have heels like canoes but the
Crispis just nice, I fit Scarpas beautifully, do okay on Garmonts, find
Crispis a little narrow, and so on).

If you're in T2s at the mo, also try the Crispi CX-P and the Garmont
Veloce, which IIRC are the equivalents from the other lines.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old January 8th 04, 11:59 AM
Sunshine McGillicutty

dave wrote:

i am new to the sport (long-time alpiner) and i just bought a pair of
scarpa T2's. when I bend low, there is a lot of pressure on top of the
foot over the bellows. does this mean the boot is too tight or is this
standard for tele boots? will the fit improve as i break in the boot?
thanks for any advice regarding the fit.

-dave

You don't quite know Toe-Pain until you smash the top of
your big toe with too tight or too small tele boots.
Essentially, when you drop into the tuck and the bellows
contract, they of course press down into the body of the
boot. When that ridge of plastic plows into your toe, OUCH!
It's especially bad if you fall forward when in the tuck
position.

They sound too tight to me. Or too short. Or both.

That doesn't mean you have the wrong shell though. If memory
serves (and it may not) Scarpa shells are in whole sizes
only and the liners come in half sizes. So you may have some
(hehe) wiggle room there.

But why bother with those useless liners from Scarpa anyway?
They are too soft and too heavy, god they suck!

Thermofit liners, or their ilk, are the ticket. Less than
half the weight. My old school T1's probably weigh less than
your T2's.

They're 1st generation purple T1's. They smashed the ****
out of my feet repeatedly until I replaced the liners.

Now... all is bliss. And I can use the same liners in my
Scarpa Lasers, which is an added bonus.

When will the schism between Telemark and Christiana be
HEELED! Give me a combo binding that works! Death to the
duck bill!

DMT
Old January 8th 04, 01:25 PM
Martin Thornquist

[ Sunshine McGillicutty ]

Thermofit liners, or their ilk, are the ticket. Less than
half the weight. My old school T1's probably weigh less than
your T2's.

Scarpas this year actually come with Thermofit liners. The boots do
seem lighter, and definitely cost more than last year.

Martin
--
"An ideal world is left as an exercise to the reader."
-Paul Graham, On Lisp
Old January 9th 04, 12:33 AM
Bob Lee

dave wrote:

i am new to the sport (long-time alpiner) and i just bought a pair of
scarpa T2's. when I bend low, there is a lot of pressure on top of the
foot over the bellows. does this mean the boot is too tight or is this
standard for tele boots? will the fit improve as i break in the boot?
thanks for any advice regarding the fit.

Were the boots new or used? An older model? The ones made before 1999
or so were kind of notorious for toe-crunching. Scarpa redesigned the
bellows around 1999 or 2000 and things have been better since. If your
boots are older, respond here and I'll put up some old rsb posts I saved
that have some relief measures you can try.

Bob
Old January 9th 04, 09:32 AM
Guido

"dave" wrote:
i am new to the sport (long-time alpiner) and i just bought a pair of
scarpa T2's. when I bend low, there is a lot of pressure on top of the
foot over the bellows. does this mean the boot is too tight or is this
standard for tele boots? will the fit improve as i break in the boot?
thanks for any advice regarding the fit.

Dave, then put in the _time_ to visit stores with a full range of sizes in
each brand you'll consider. Try on boot after boot after boot after boot,
until you _know_ that this shell/inner is _right_ for your feet.

For decades, I swam around in sloppy tele boots from deals and closeouts
until I finally gave the sizing effort its full due. As a result, these
days my feet are warm, my toes comfy and the ski tips and tails are one with
my intentions (well, sorta).

The new gear makes this sport a breeze, transforming backcountry skiing much
like shaped skis and high boots tranformed downhilling, perlon and bolts
transformed climbing, and the internet transformed the exchange of ideas.

Give the sizing effort the full measure of your will to pursue this sport.
The process will return good tidings in the hills.

Old January 9th 04, 04:47 PM
dave

i have a very narrow foot so scarpa seems to fit me the best. these
boots are new from last year. the problem may be that I bought them at
a great price from LL Bean, but they marked the boots in US sizes,
rather than the UK measurements i was used to. I was looking for a UK
9 but ended up with a US 9. They fit snug but did not seem too tight
in the store.

thanks for the advice. i will withhold judgement until i have a few
more days on them.

Old January 9th 04, 04:47 PM
Matt

dave wrote:
: i am new to the sport (long-time alpiner) and i just bought a pair of
: scarpa T2's. when I bend low, there is a lot of pressure on top of the
: foot over the bellows. does this mean the boot is too tight or is this
: standard for tele boots? will the fit improve as i break in the boot?
: thanks for any advice regarding the fit.

: -dave

i had smoething hitting the top of my foot in my CXP's, and no matter what i didn,
i couldn't get rid of it- i finally figured out that the plastic top sheet on the
tongue of the liner was bending inward, and hitting my foot. i cut out a half
inch piece of plastic, used a heat gun to remelt (it was stitched in) and fix it
in place, no more problem! dremel tools are your friend

if your shell fits fine, check your liner for seams and the like that might feel
bigger than they look. thermofit liners are the ultimate solution to this problem
though.

matt
Old January 18th 04, 12:12 PM
Peter Clinch

dave wrote:
i have a very narrow foot so scarpa seems to fit me the best.

If you have "very narrow feet" I'd say there's a better chance of a
Crispi boot fitting you than a Scarpa. Scarpa are only narrow relative
to Garmonts: I have a relatively broad foot (aside from my heel) and fit
Scarpas almost perfectly! My gf has decidedly narrower feet than me and
finds the Crispis fit very well, the Scarpas were acceptable but not
really to the point of wanting to spend money on them, even
significantly reduced in MEC's bargain bin, and the Garmonts are like
canoes on her.

Pete.