Snow in Colorado - A-Basin

Old October 23rd 03, 04:48 AM
TCS

Default Snow in Colorado - A-Basin

The bad news: The Colorado heat wave continues. Fifth day in a row for a new
daily record high in my little burg. (84 today)

The good news: Despite the poor snowmaking weather, A-Basin has finally
committed to an opening date. According to their General Manager, A-Basin will
definitely open before Halloween, or on Halloween, or after Halloween. You
early bird skiers can now breathe a sigh of relief and make your plans
accordingly.

Meanwhile, I predict that Loveland will not open on 10-24. But we have a cold
front coming in on Friday and my best guess is that they will make it by
Monday.

Stay tuned.

Thus spaketh TCS

Vail: Vail and Beaver Creek will try to make as much snow as they can while
the TV truck generators are turned off. Snowmaking ends on 10 November.

TCS (The Colorado Skier)
Loveland opens in 1 week!
Old October 24th 03, 12:07 AM
ant

TCS wrote:
The bad news: The Colorado heat wave continues. Fifth day in a row
for a new daily record high in my little burg. (84 today)

Yeah, I keep watching the Yank news on the ethnic station, hoping to see
those temperatures plummet. Canada looks like winter is coming, US are
having the Indian summer from hell.

The good news: Despite the poor snowmaking weather, A-Basin has
finally committed to an opening date. According to their General
Manager, A-Basin will definitely open before Halloween, or on
Halloween, or after Halloween. You early bird skiers can now breathe
a sigh of relief and make your plans accordingly.

I bet they are plating the bloke who decided to put in snowmaking with
gold. I guess they'll have the snowmakers out at 2am furiously making what
they can before the sun comes up.

ant

Old October 24th 03, 12:17 AM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"ant" skrev i melding
Yeah, I keep watching the Yank news on the ethnic station, hoping to see

What exactly do you mean by the "ethnic station"? We do not have such a
TV-station here, not as far as I know, anyway, so I just wonder what exactly
it can be?

Old October 24th 03, 01:45 AM
ant

Inger Skramstad Jørstad wrote:
"ant" skrev i melding
Yeah, I keep watching the Yank news on the ethnic station, hoping to
see

What exactly do you mean by the "ethnic station"? We do not have such
a TV-station here, not as far as I know, anyway, so I just wonder
what exactly it can be?

It's a national, gov't owned station that screens stuff from all over the
world. Most SBS stuff has subtitles, it also shows a lot of stuff that'd
cause trouble on the commercial stations ie nudity and violence. It is meant
to exhibit diversity in its programming, catering to minority interests,
with an emphasis on foreign content or catering to NESB aussies.
It is mostly quite excellent.
There's a US show I saw last night, it appeared to be a spoof on Letterman
type shows, it was called the Daily Weekly show (or vice versa). It was
rather funny. One of their reporters on the spot for the Californian recall
election was a bag of plums.

ant

Old October 24th 03, 03:04 AM
The Real Bev

ant wrote:

Inger Skramstad Jørstad wrote:
"ant" skrev i melding
Yeah, I keep watching the Yank news on the ethnic station, hoping to
see

What exactly do you mean by the "ethnic station"? We do not have such
a TV-station here, not as far as I know, anyway, so I just wonder
what exactly it can be?

What, you don't have ethnics in Norway? We have LOTS of them in the US.

It's a national, gov't owned station that screens stuff from all over the
world. Most SBS stuff has subtitles, it also shows a lot of stuff that'd
cause trouble on the commercial stations ie nudity and violence. It is meant
to exhibit diversity in its programming, catering to minority interests,
with an emphasis on foreign content or catering to NESB aussies.
It is mostly quite excellent.
There's a US show I saw last night, it appeared to be a spoof on Letterman
type shows, it was called the Daily Weekly show (or vice versa). It was
rather funny. One of their reporters on the spot for the Californian recall
election was a bag of plums.

Plums or prunes? It makes a difference.

The people who publicize prunes have decided that the word "prune" has
unpleasant connotations leading to reduced sales. They see "dried
plums" as younger, sexier and more salable. So now bags of prunes have
both names: "prunes" and "dried plums." At some point it is assumed
that "prune" will disappear from our fruit vocabulary and the sellers of
dried plums will make the fortune that had been heretofore denied them.

Hey, it could happen.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 24th 03, 03:49 AM
ant

The Real Bev wrote:
Plums or prunes? It makes a difference.

Definitley plums. They were making some comic mileage about having a limited
budget. One reporter had to run from one camera to another and pretend he
was in another bit of LA.
Then their 8th (I think) reporter was...a bag of plums. Camera duly showed a
little bag of plums hanging in front of the camera.
I don't know what it signified but I laughed like a drain.

Hmm, according to the TV guide it was the Weekly Daily show.

ant

Old October 24th 03, 04:55 AM
The Real Bev

tm wrote:

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

Plums or prunes? It makes a difference.

The people who publicize prunes have decided that the word "prune" has
unpleasant connotations leading to reduced sales. They see "dried
plums" as younger, sexier and more salable. So now bags of prunes have
both names: "prunes" and "dried plums." At some point it is assumed
that "prune" will disappear from our fruit vocabulary and the sellers of
dried plums will make the fortune that had been heretofore denied them.

Hey, it could happen.

Recently i was in LA and saw many bilboard adverts for clamato juice.
That's the juice of clams mixed with tomato?

Apparently, and although I find the concept disgusting it's been around
a long time. Anybody who would squeeze a mollusc and drink what comes
out is SICK. There's something called Snap-E-Tom which is pretty good
-- tomato juice and some kind of hot pepper squeezins.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 24th 03, 05:57 AM
ant

The Real Bev wrote:
tm wrote:

Recently i was in LA and saw many bilboard adverts for clamato juice.
That's the juice of clams mixed with tomato?

Apparently, and although I find the concept disgusting it's been
around a long time. Anybody who would squeeze a mollusc and drink
what comes out is SICK.

No, no! Please, you two are making a joke?! argh.

There's something called Snap-E-Tom which is
pretty good
-- tomato juice and some kind of hot pepper squeezins.

now I'm laughing again! Snappy Tom has been a popular brand of cat food here
since I was young! If I sit and think for long enough, I can even remember
the words to the jingle.

ant

Old October 24th 03, 01:40 PM
Walt

ant wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
tm wrote:

Recently i was in LA and saw many bilboard adverts for clamato juice.
That's the juice of clams mixed with tomato?

Apparently, and although I find the concept disgusting it's been
around a long time. Anybody who would squeeze a mollusc and drink
what comes out is SICK.

No, no! Please, you two are making a joke?! argh.

No, it's the real thing. Clam juice mixed with tomato juice, although
the hard-core can buy their clam juice straight. I rarely drink clam
juice, although it's a handy thing to have around for cooking.

The most common usage for Clamato juice is to make a drink called a
Ceasar - Clamato, vodka and a dash of tabasco. It's rather popular at
the Canadian [ob]ski lodges.

There's a US show I saw last night, it appeared to be a spoof on Letterman
type shows, it was called the Daily Weekly show (or vice versa). It was
rather funny. One of their reporters on the spot for the Californian recall
election was a bag of plums.

That would be The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - they take the best bits
of the week and repackage it for the international audience. Sadly,
it's the best news show on TV.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 24th 03, 01:46 PM
bdubya

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:57:48 +1000, "ant" wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
tm wrote:

Recently i was in LA and saw many bilboard adverts for clamato juice.
That's the juice of clams mixed with tomato?

Apparently, and although I find the concept disgusting it's been
around a long time. Anybody who would squeeze a mollusc and drink
what comes out is SICK.

No, no! Please, you two are making a joke?! argh.

Sounds weird, but don't laugh; you can't make a truly good bloody mary
without it.

bw

Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 1 October 17th 03 11:08 PM
Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 3 September 22nd 03 09:09 PM
Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 3 September 22nd 03 05:05 PM
Snow in Colorado TCS Alpine Skiing 0 September 14th 03 08:35 PM