So I bought ski's and now I need to learn to tune, wax and care for them.

Old March 13th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Wisconsin Skier

Default The advantages of midwestern skiing - top 10 list ( was something else)

Walt wrote:

bumpfreaq wrote:
On Mar 11, 8:34 pm, Walt

I skied back to the car (convienently parked within a snowball's throw
of the lift - one of the many advantages of midwestern skiing)

Care to elaborate on the other advantages? I can think of a few.....
but many?

10) Convienent! If you lived here you'd be home right now.

9) Oxygen! And plenty of it. The big O2 - don't leave home without it.

8) Lakes. Big lake-effect snowmaking lakes. With important sounding
names like "Superior"

By area it is the largest of freshwater lakes.

7) Local cusine, like Pasties and Poutine. mmmmm Poutine....

6) Bell's assorted brews. 'nuff said.

5) Resorts are small enough that they can groom the whole darn thing
four or five times overnight if that's what it takes that to get it right.

4) That flat nasal pig-calling accents allow you to better hear the
out-of-control beginners so you can get out of their way.

#4) Hmmm, I recall almost getting run over 2x by the same guy. All he could
do was go straight and down forget about skiing around people. I will have
to grow eyes on the back of my head, no noise no nothing.

3) Single-digit lift ticket prices to go along with the single digit
temps.

Some locales yes. Go up to the UP and you pay a little more.

2) You can still rent 80's vintage 195cm straight skis at selected
hills. For only slightly more than you can buy them at a garage sale.

AND THE NUMBER ONE ADVANTAGE OF SKIING IN THE MIDWEST:

1) The skiing's mediocre, so it's never ever crowded.

//Walt

I came up with a similar list sometime ago. Yes, you can go see it in the
"So Funny" section of The Wisconsin Skier.

I dispute "never ever crowded". My father said Ski Brule was crowded last
Saturday (easy day trip from Green Bay & the Fox Valley). After all, most
people from the region would not know bad skiing from mediocre skiing.

--
Before Heading to the Hills Head to The Wisconsin Skier:
http://www.wi-ski.com/
Old March 14th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

Default Ping Walt (was Goin' down to South Peak....(was So I bought ski's))

(Hmmm...just noticed this didn't appear on Google Groups; might not
have gotten past my local feed. Sorry if it's repetitive)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 03:31:17 GMT, bdubya
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 22:07:02 -0500, Walt
wrote:

Did I mention the great day today at the Mighty C?

//Walt

Yah, but only in passing. Care to expound?

bw

good siteto learn how to tune up my board lonerider Snowboarding 2 December 27th 06 01:53 AM
Rock skate ski's, bought new Jan Gerrit Klok Nordic Skiing 8 December 6th 06 12:45 AM
Fabric Care Question JJ Nordic Skiing 3 August 18th 05 08:06 AM
Anyone care to offer a Northshore/Westshore Snow Report? Bryan Alpine Skiing 2 February 19th 05 11:55 PM
Ski APACHE,NM Child Care??? Vicky North American Ski Resorts 0 December 12th 03 11:09 PM