Oslo snow reports

Old December 5th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Paul Cromey

Default Oslo snow reports

Hello

Does anyone know of any Oslo snow report websites?

Thanks

Paul

Old December 5th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Paul Cromey wrote:
Hello

Does anyone know of any Oslo snow report websites?

http://skiforeningen.no is a good bet.

Besides, NRK news showed Astrid U Jacobsen training in Sørkedalen (Oslo)
today. I.e. there's skiable snow within a city bus ride from downtown.

Terje

--
-
Old December 5th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David Dermott

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Paul Cromey wrote:

Hello

Does anyone know of any Oslo snow report websites?

Just in case Terje or Steinar don't answer ....

It's probably the most complete snow and trail report site in the
world!
It's written in Norwegian.

Skiforeningen has re-designed their website so the old links
don't work. The new URL for trail conditions is:

http://www.skiforeningen.no/markadb/showf.cgi
I haven't explored the site lately but I think there are interactive
maps showing status of the trails etc. as well ad WEB cameras
at various places.

From a quick skim through some of the reports this is what I read
(Dec 5): lower areas received rain in the last few days but higher
(+400m) areas received new wet snow. There is a base of 40 cm in some
areas. But the wet snow has broken a lot of branches off trees and much
clearing needs to be done...

Speaking of Skiforeningen .... I noticed that
there was no English Wikipedia article, so I put in a "stub"
(very basic information). Any volunteers to fill it out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skiforeningen

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:
Old December 6th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

David Dermott wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Paul Cromey wrote:

Hello

Does anyone know of any Oslo snow report websites?

Just in case Terje or Steinar don't answer ....

It's probably the most complete snow and trail report site in the world!
It's written in Norwegian.

DUH

Skiforeningen has re-designed their website so the old links
don't work. The new URL for trail conditions is:

http://www.skiforeningen.no/markadb/showf.cgi
I haven't explored the site lately but I think there are interactive
maps showing status of the trails etc. as well ad WEB cameras
at various places.

Yes, there is, as well as a few thousand pictures from various parts of
the area/trail system, nearly all of them georeferenced to the same
trail maps.

You can also take a look at the home page of the most avid skier in
Oslo, "Milslukern" ("The mile gobbler") Tom Stensaker:

(Tom got a disability pension as a quite young guy, then decided that he
had to do some skiing to keep as fit as possible. Now, a number of years
later he is famous for skiing more than anyone else in the Oslo area.)

http://www.tomstensaker.no/

His last update was from Tuesday when he skied 65 km starting in Sørkedalen.

Terje

--
-
Old December 6th 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Terje Mathisen wrote:
You can also take a look at the home page of the most avid skier in
Oslo, "Milslukern" ("The mile gobbler") Tom Stensaker:

(Tom got a disability pension as a quite young guy, then decided that he
had to do some skiing to keep as fit as possible. Now, a number of years
later he is famous for skiing more than anyone else in the Oslo area.)

http://www.tomstensaker.no/

His last update was from Tuesday when he skied 65 km starting in
Sørkedalen.

Some additional info:

His illness was many years ago, today he is (obviously?) quite well, and
makes a living as an architect again.

He has skied "more than 214 130 km" just in Nordmarka (i.e Oslo) over
the last 32 seasons, this averages a trip around the world every 6 years
or so.

Terje

--
-
Old December 6th 07, 11:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Wily Coyote

"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
Terje Mathisen wrote:
You can also take a look at the home page of the most avid skier in Oslo,
"Milslukern" ("The mile gobbler") Tom Stensaker:

(Tom got a disability pension as a quite young guy, then decided that he
had to do some skiing to keep as fit as possible. Now, a number of years
later he is famous for skiing more than anyone else in the Oslo area.)

http://www.tomstensaker.no/

(snip)
Terje

--
-

Terje, thanks for that link. What great photos. I've always been curious
about the "Nordmarka" that I've heard so much about over the years. And
there are also groomed ski trails all over the rest of Norway? Amazing.

Norway seems like a slice of Heaven. Is the food good there?

-Jeff

Old December 6th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Paul Cromey

Hello

Many thanks for your kind replies. I had been in the skiforeningen site but
hadn't found the right pages.

Looking forward to visiting Oslo with or without snow. Last time we were
there on the way back from Susjoen we didn't have time to visit marine
museums etc.

Thanks again

Paul

"David Dermott" wrote in message
caldomain...
On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Paul Cromey wrote:

Hello

Does anyone know of any Oslo snow report websites?

Just in case Terje or Steinar don't answer ....

It's probably the most complete snow and trail report site in the
world!
It's written in Norwegian.

Skiforeningen has re-designed their website so the old links
don't work. The new URL for trail conditions is:

http://www.skiforeningen.no/markadb/showf.cgi
I haven't explored the site lately but I think there are interactive
maps showing status of the trails etc. as well ad WEB cameras
at various places.

From a quick skim through some of the reports this is what I read

Old December 7th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Wily Coyote wrote:
"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message
http://www.tomstensaker.no/

(snip)
Terje

--
-

Terje, thanks for that link. What great photos. I've always been curious
about the "Nordmarka" that I've heard so much about over the years. And

Nordmarka is, unequivocally, the best xc skiing area in the world, with
2600 km of official, groomed, trails, plus the freedom and legal right
to make your own absolutely anywhere you like.

there are also groomed ski trails all over the rest of Norway? Amazing.

Norway seems like a slice of Heaven. Is the food good there?

Well, at least we have "probably the best sushi in the world outside
Japan", at Alex Sushi in Oslo.

It is the only place my family ever eat out in Oslo. :-)

(The quote is from the London Financial Times food column.)

Terje

--
-
Old December 7th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David Dermott

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Wily Coyote wrote:
http://www.tomstensaker.no/

(snip)

Terje, thanks for that link. What great photos. I've always been curious
about the "Nordmarka" that I've heard so much about over the years. And
there are also groomed ski trails all over the rest of Norway? Amazing.

The problem with skiing in southern Norway is that there's no
challenge. Everywhere you look there's a marked, mapped, groomed trail!
There is no chance to " boldy ski where no skier has skied before"!! :-)

Another place I like with a nice trail system is Gjøvik,
about 120 km north of Oslo (several trains per day on the Gjøvik-Oslo
line). The area has about 400 km of groomed trails, including one
all the way to Oslo. There's also a 50 km trail lit at night.

Norway seems like a slice of Heaven. Is the food good there?

Some people say food is expensive but I didn't notice that much.
Compare the price of a loaf of bread-- oh, bad example-- Norwegian
bread is just SO MUCH BETTER ... Andrew Stevenson, author of
"Summer Light ( hut to hut hiking in Norway)" agrees with me he
"a complete meal in itself"

And then there is Freia Chocolate:

"Norwegian chocolate is, without doubt, the best tasting chocolate
anywhere. It is thick and creamy and tastes of ... chocolate. Other
chocolate bars taste like brown wax after experiencing the delights of a
Freia chocolate bar"

(Summer Light; ISBN: 1-86450-347-5 ,Published by Lonely Planet(2002)

A Freia "Kvikk Lunsj" is considered obligatory on a ski tour :-)

What about wild animal hazards in the woods? Bears hibernate in winter,
but do trolls hibernate ?
http://www.skiforeningen.no/img/stripe/2006-01.jpg
:-)

Old December 7th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Paul Cromey

Hello

I am trying to place the areas mentioned on this web page - e.g. Nordmarka
Nord, Syd etc. Is there an area map on the site at all. The photos are
very helpful. Just trying to work out where they are in relation to Oslo
and, for example Holmenkollen. or whether they are a 1 hour bus ride or
some such oyt of Oslo.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

http://www.skiforeningen.no/markadb/showf.cgi
I haven't explored the site lately but I think there are interactive
maps showing status of the trails etc. as well ad WEB cameras
at various places.

From a quick skim through some of the reports this is what I read