new to snowboarding

Old January 4th 06, 06:53 PM

While pondering the Universe, (surf) wrote
.com:

Just asking about Tuckerman's for what would be possible in a few years
down the road with some experience as there is not much else as
impressive sounding around here to look forward to as that.

You aren't looking too hard then. An advanced skiier was killed filming
some backcountry at Stowe with his friends last season. You don't need
to go to Alaska to kill yourself in the snow:

http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
AID=/20050216/NEWS/502160341/1002
Old January 4th 06, 08:42 PM

I would recommend wearing a helmet. On my first day out, my friends
tried to tell me I wouldn't need one-- they said I wouldn't be going
very fast on my first day. After catching heelside edge a few times, I
was glad that I had one.

Better safe than sorry.

Dan

Old January 4th 06, 09:18 PM

On 4 Jan 2006 17:45:41 GMT, Switters wrote:

What are your plans for this season?

Trip to BC later in the season, that's about it so far. You?

Probably the McNab Extreme descent week.
--
Champ
Old January 4th 06, 09:22 PM

On 4 Jan 2006 12:42:55 -0800, "Dan C." wrote:

On my first day out, my friends
tried to tell me I wouldn't need one-- they said I wouldn't be going
very fast on my first day.

That's one of the stupidest things I've heard lately. Slow speed
incidents tend to be *more* painful and concussive than high speed
incidents (unless you hit a tree or something, in which case you are
dead with or without the helmet). Catching an edge on a cat track at
slow speed can be one of the most painful snowboarding experiences.
I've bruised ribs and broken my nose doing that (and would have had
several concussions except for the helmet).

-- Robert
Old January 7th 06, 09:10 PM

"surf" wrote

snowboarding seems similiar, so I made some fast progress on the
board, but I never surf goofy foot and in snowboarding it seems you
need to be able to do that as you easily get turned around (something
for me to work on). My biggest problem seemed to be goofy foot riding
when I got turned around.

Forget about riding goofy if you want to lean to ride well enough to
do backcountry as soon as possible. The "got turned around" thing
will go away pretty soon, you'll learn to control your moves.

I would like to be able to do some back country boarding, but
obviously need to learn on resort slopes here in new england, and when
you are short on time, you'd probably head to a resort anyway. I am
wondering what kind of board to get ? Probably a little big and stiff
from what I read. Where are some good places to get deals on boards ?

You're asking the wrong question, sort of. Think boots first, bindings
second, board third. Well fitting boots are very important.
ThirtyTwo boots with moldable liners seem to be the ticket
these days.

As for boards, you'll probably want two. One for good deep days
and BC, the other for resorts with tracked out snow. I'd recommend
Burton Fish (or Maolo, but I've never tried that one) for powder
board. Read up on it on the net. Can be picked up for less than $200
off eBay too, best dollars I've spent on snowboarding equipment ever.
In older models (2003MY I think), you'll want 156HD version, but
MD will work too. Get it, you won't regret it.

For non-pow days, just get something I'll recommend Palmer Classic
just because I think it's the best price/performance around and is suitable
for your size. You want 160cm size. It's if you don't have big feet
though. Another option is to just get something in your size off
your local Craigslist that is in a freeride or all-around category. Some
very good deals can be had there, esp. now when the season is well
under way and some people who paid for new gear in the beginning
of the season figured out snowboarding is not for them by now

How dangerous is snowboarding, and how hard is it on knees/back body ?
Any more or less than skiing ? Seems I talked to a couple of
snowboarders who had suffered all kinds of broken bones. I am a
musician and am 43 so I would like to avoid that.

Wear wrist guards/helmet when you're learning. Impact shorts could
be a good idea too. Typical injuries are broken wrists, various degrees
of screwed up tailbones and heads. Knees are usually not an issue.
**** happens but not too often, once you know what you're doing you
can control risk pretty well. The first 20 days out are the most risky
IMHO.

Any good books on new england boarding, equipment/technique etc ?

Buy and read this every time you go out as a beginner, you'll learn
much faster: http://tinyurl.com/8dtyw

Old January 7th 06, 09:18 PM

"surf" wrote

I went to ski market in Framingham, the guy showed me a Burton Custom
for $500 and explained it is pre stressed by starting it with 8mil
camber and pressing it down to 4mil. He said for less money you can get
a Burton Royale for $400, the 162 looked like it would be the right
size. I have seen alot of Burton boards everywhere I look thus far. He
also said you'd set back on the board for powder. He said these are all
around boards for packed snow/powder etc.

If you buy boot, bindings, and board together they give you 8%
discount.

Only do this if you're really well off and don't care about money.
Don't hesitate to pay for well-fitting boots, but for boards and
bindings go to Craigslist, eBay or local swap meet. Burton Custom
is a very good stick but it's so hyped up you'll be paying a lot
for just the name. And you'll be also facing a good chance of
it getting stolen.

Oh yea, only pay full retail for boots in a shop that has a resident
bootfitter that is willing to work with you on a boot fit. Or get
them at REI and return them untill you find a pair with a perfect
fit. ThirtyTwo boots take guesswork out of the equasion though
if you do the molding.

Old January 7th 06, 09:36 PM

"Octessence" wrote

I think all snowboarding helmets are the hard variety. I've never seen
soft ones. You don't really need one as a beginner. You only really need
one when you start going off-piste where there is a risk of rocks, or when
you start learning rails/jumps. Saying that, it won't do any harm to get
one if you don't mind spending the money.

Helmet is essential for a beginner. Catching heel side edge can
produce pretty bad knocks on the back of your skull, I've seen
people knocking themselves out like that on a green slope. Even
saw someone starting to puke right after such a fall, which indicates
a pretty bad head concussion.

So, do get the helmet. I think that it's important that the helmet
is light (Burton RED), but I've seen people who just don't care.