just back from Val d'Isere

Old January 10th 05, 02:43 PM

Default just back from Val d'Isere

Got back from Val d'Isere yesterday.

We went by train so caught the Eurostar to Paris and had a rather
frantic trip on the RER to Gare du Lyon to catch the TGV to BSM with
luggage and 14 month old baby. Many thanks to those who advised on this
trip - I'd not like to have to do that again, 45 minutes between trains
is too little for comfort and we only just made it.

Anyway, what a week in Val - it snowed from 3 pm the day we arrived and
into the night. We then had 6 glorious days of sunshine which (for me
anyway) is a first. Very cold ( -15) the first couple of days but
warming as the week went on to spring-like skiing at the end of the
week with temperatures up to 8 degrees at resort level which was great
for us but not the snow!

It snowed again briefly mid week but had we been staying another week
I'd have been doing the snow dance as Tignes especially was becoming
very bare with some runs more brown than white!

Despite a generally very good piste state there were quite a few rocky
patches lightly covered (again especially in Tignes) so quite a lot of
crunching of the skis which made me glad I hired them.

Despite it being a school holiday week it was exceptionally quiet with
no queues at all - but I stand by my post of a few months ago about the
lifts in Tignes being dreadfully slow. While some have been upgraded,
for those who disagreed with me about slow lifts the Palafuur chair out
of Tignes is a joke as is the Tichot out of Val Claret. Aiguille Rouge
is very slow and this year we carefully avoided the long and
appallingly slow Marais chair which moves slower than the local
glaciers.

All in all a fantastic week with weather you'd never expect in Jan and
what with the lack of queues probably the most skiing I've ever done in
a week.

Old January 11th 05, 11:20 PM
pete devlin

In message , Steve Haigh
writes
Although I agree that the lift system in Tignes is Ok as they go, there
are some that are better. Flaine has a lot of fast, high capacity
chairs (although you can still find a couple of slow ones) for a start.
To really see a good lift system you need to cross the pond - the
uplift of Whistler/Blackcomb is just fantastic. I don't know about the
stats, and it wouldn't compete with the Espace Killy for pure numbers,
but for speed of getting to any part of the network it is unbeatable
and IMHO a far better network than anyting in Europe.

I haven't been to Flaine since 95 or so but the biggest bug bear of mine
at that time was the return from Les carroz side. There was a double
poma that was the only way back and a bad bottle neck. And the Gers area
seemed to be closed a lot :O( Apart from that it was fine, nay top
notch. Will have to go back soon.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old January 12th 05, 07:26 AM

An area with a better lift system than Tignes - er, Val d'Isere.

I think the skiing is better in Tignes, but not the lifts. And yes
there are alternatives - but only if you want to go to another part of
the mountain.

Old January 12th 05, 07:43 AM
Ace

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:20:48 +0000, pete devlin
wrote:

I haven't been to Flaine since 95 or so but the biggest bug bear of mine
at that time was the return from Les carroz side. There was a double
poma that was the only way back and a bad bottle neck.

That was replaced around 1997, I think, with a four-man chair taking
you from the "Green Piste" (aka Vernant) where there's now a big car
park, and dropping you next to the lake, from where there's a six-man
chair to the top of the Grand Vans and the four-man Corbalanche chair
back over towards Samoens.

And the Gers area seemed to be closed a lot :O(

Sadly, that's still the case. It needs quite a lot of snow, and is
then _very_ prone to avalanches, so even when it is opened, it's often
not until late morning by the time thay're happy that it's been made
safe. Always worth asking the pisteurs whether it's likely to happen,
so you can be there as soon as it's open.

Apart from that it was fine, nay top notch. Will have to go back soon.

I'll be there at Easter, running a Ski Club weekend holiday, as
mentioned last week. Prolly I'll go a few days in advance too, just to
get the most out of it, like, as it is indeed one of the all-round
best ski areas in the world.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)