Suggestions on a bag for flying?

Old October 17th 03, 10:29 PM
Boardin' Fool

Default Suggestions on a bag for flying?

I'm going to be flying up to Park City early in January. Unfortunately, I
don't have a bag for my gear. I've been looking at the Burton Gig Bag
(cause I don't have a whole lot of money to work with). Is this a good
choice, or should I get one of the higher priced models?

Rick
guttermonkey AT qwest DOT net

Old October 18th 03, 05:09 PM
Drug Buddy

Boardin' Fool wrote:
I'm going to be flying up to Park City early in January.
Unfortunately, I don't have a bag for my gear. I've been looking at
the Burton Gig Bag (cause I don't have a whole lot of money to work
with). Is this a good choice, or should I get one of the higher
priced models?

Rick
guttermonkey AT qwest DOT net

I've got a gig bag and it's fine, takes board/boots/bindings and a load of
space left over for clothing. If you're just taking the one board I reckon
you'd be fine. I tried out a wheelie coffin last trip last season and it was
just a pain, didn't fill half the capacity, it kind of crumples in half when
you use the wheels and that was with 2 boards in it.

DB

Old October 19th 03, 02:30 PM
toddjb

"Boardin' Fool" wrote in message ...
I'm going to be flying up to Park City early in January. Unfortunately, I
don't have a bag for my gear. I've been looking at the Burton Gig Bag
(cause I don't have a whole lot of money to work with). Is this a good
choice, or should I get one of the higher priced models?

If it is just one trip get whatever.

If you expect more in the future, pay for a bag that'll stay with you.

I have a DaKine wheeled bag and it rocks. I've recommended them to a few
people and everybody loves it. Lots of pockets, removeable pouches, you
can fit all kinds of boards, boots, clothing in there and will love it.
Never had any problems with stability or durability of the bag and it is
padded well to protect your equipment from any hard surfaces.

Check it out, its a great bag.
Old October 20th 03, 05:40 AM
Bruce Chang

"Boardin' Fool" wrote in message
I'm going to be flying up to Park City early in January. Unfortunately, I
don't have a bag for my gear. I've been looking at the Burton Gig Bag
(cause I don't have a whole lot of money to work with). Is this a good
choice, or should I get one of the higher priced models?

Rick
guttermonkey AT qwest DOT net

The gig bag is not padded so flying with it is iffy. I had it for a road
trip and it was fine but I wouldn't trust it more than that. My friend flew
with his and he took a bunch of foam from work and padded his board with it
and said it was fine but it was a pain having to pack and unpack it.

I bought a 5150 snowboard bag from www.skiandsnowboardhouse.com. It has
enough room to fit two boards and when I used it for my board, I just packed
all my gear with it; boots, bindings, jacket, pants, tools, etc. It's
padded and it's going for $50 now online. I took it on a 4 flights and it's
survived quite well. One of the zippers looks like it got scraped on the
floor. Other than that, it's fine. Only one season on it though.

Good luck finding a bag.

-Bruce

Old October 20th 03, 10:53 PM
TomTom

The gig bag IS padded.

I have the gig bag and it's worked OK for air travel, have taken it to NM &
Whistler.

The edge of my board cut through the fabric in one spot (at a seam where the
padding wasn't) when I went to NM, what I do now is take a piece of old
garden hose, split it down the middle, and wrap it around the edge of the
board. This not only saves the bag but protects the edges of the board.
Baggage handlers are notoriously rough with baggage.

I personally don't like those big wheeled monster bags, which is why I got
the gig bag. The big monster bags don't work well for car travel in my
opinion, the gig bag is perfect.

Be careful, if you read the fine print some airlines won't let you put
clothing, etc into a sports equipment bag, I had mine packed to the seams,
luckily they didn't check, but I saw one guy in whistler having to take
clothes out of his gear bag. If you do put clothing in your gear bag, bring
a canvas duffle bag just in case they make you take it out.

-Tom