Good tahoe resort for windy days (e.g. tomorrow)?

Old April 14th 06, 11:19 PM

Default Good tahoe resort for windy days (e.g. tomorrow)?

From the National Weather Service forcast for the Tahoe Basin:
Saturday...Windy. Numerous snow showers. Highs 49 to 59. Southwest
winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph. Gusts to 100 mph over
ridges.

Was planning to go to Kirkwood, but I don't think it's the best bet on
a windy day.

What's a good Tahoe resort for windy days?

Homewood came to mind, but it's a day-trip from the Bay Area, and I'd
prefer a shorter drive. Northstar?

Or forget the winds and go to Kirkwood?

Old April 15th 06, 12:19 AM

From the National Weather Service forcast for the Tahoe Basin:
Saturday...Windy. Numerous snow showers. Highs 49 to 59. Southwest
winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph. Gusts to 100 mph over
ridges.

Was planning to go to Kirkwood, but I don't think it's the best bet on
a windy day.

What's a good Tahoe resort for windy days?

Homewood came to mind, but it's a day-trip from the Bay Area, and I'd
prefer a shorter drive. Northstar?

Or forget the winds and go to Kirkwood?

Homewood and Northstar are IMHO the best two for wind. Less exposure.
Squaw and Alpine Meadows are extremely exposed to wind; Sugar Bowl,
Kirkwood, Heavenly, and Mt Rose are right behind.

Homewood is lower elevation - which may mean rain.

So I'd go Northstar. The backside is often well protected, especially if
you like trees

Old April 15th 06, 12:35 AM

Thanks Mike!

Last time we were at Sugarbowl, they closed the lifts early early due
to 30MPH winds.

On our last day at at Mt Bachelor last week they opened the Summit
Chair when the winds died down to 43MPH on the 9000' summit.

I remember Alpine getting really windy around Alpine Bowl.

I've got passes for Kirkwood. But I think if we go tomorrow it will be
Northstar.