Park City Areas and Lift Tickets

Old September 12th 05, 05:46 PM

Default Park City Areas and Lift Tickets

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on skiing in the Park City area. My fianc=E9e
and I will be coming to town for a short honeymoon the week before
Christmas (Dec 18-22). I'm an long-time skiier comfortable on pretty
much anything in-area. She is still pretty much a beginner but is to
the level of enjoying the blue cruising type runs. Of PC and DV which
would be the best from the standpoint of allowing us to ski the same
lift, but still meeting each time?

Most of the posts I have seen on here greatly favor DV, but any advice
one way or the other would be appraciated.

Also, any hints on locations to buy discounted tickets would be
appreciated. Especially if we are going to buy multi-day passes.

Thanks in advance!!

Old September 13th 05, 03:11 AM

I like to think I am an experienced skier (25 years), and I am
comfortable on what they now mark as single-diamond black runs (they
used to be the easy blacks). My opinion is that Park CIty is OK as a
ski area, but when I am in the Salt Lake City area, I prefer skiing at
Snowbird, Alta, and Deer Valley over Park City.

For a total vacation experience, I like Deer Valley best. It is not
cheap, but I think it is worth it. In addition to the immaculately
groomed slopes, they have the best food of any ski area. Their
cafeteria food is comparable to many sit-down restaurants with white
table cloths, and their on-hill restaurants are outstanding. If you
must have a challenging run, I remember (from 15 years ago) that Ruins
of Pompeii was steep and bumpy, and there was an easier way down to the
same chair lift.

You can get discount tickets at Smiths grocery stores in Salt Lake City
and one of the sport shops (do a Google search). I also remember
getting a coupon at one of the fast food places in SLC (I think it was
Hardee's, but it has been a long time) that qualified us for discounted
lift tickets at Brighton.

Old September 13th 05, 05:31 AM
Chriggity

My advise ? Go to Colorado

Old September 13th 05, 12:50 PM
dizzy

"Chriggity" wrote in message
oups.com...
My advise ? Go to Colorado

Why and whereto ?

Old September 13th 05, 01:13 PM
Gusoline

Been all over Colorado - even lived in Steamboat for a while - never
been to Utah. Park City looked like the best choice for a 'ski town'
feel. Since my fiancee is not quite the ski nut that I am (but getting
there), I wanted to have other things to do in the afternoon/evening...

Old September 13th 05, 02:01 PM
Giles

locations to buy discounted tickets

http://www.canyonsports.com/

Old September 13th 05, 02:31 PM
Richard Henry

oups.com...

http://www.hebervalleycc.org/

Old September 13th 05, 03:15 PM
bdubya

On 13 Sep 2005 06:13:57 -0700, "Gusoline" wrote:

Been all over Colorado - even lived in Steamboat for a while - never
been to Utah. Park City looked like the best choice for a 'ski town'
feel. Since my fiancee is not quite the ski nut that I am (but getting
there), I wanted to have other things to do in the afternoon/evening...

Let's note, though, that a "ski town" feel is not a prerequisite for
"great skiing".

bw
Old September 13th 05, 03:55 PM
lal_truckee

... My fiancée
and I will be coming to town for a short honeymoon the week before
Christmas (Dec 18-22). [CLIP] ... Of PC and DV which
would be the best from the standpoint of allowing us to ski the same
lift, but still meeting each time?

If it's really your honeymoon you dam well better stick with her on the
runs and save the old alternate routes meet at the lift routine for
another trip. (Just some unrequested advice.)

Most of the posts I have seen on here greatly favor DV, but any advice
one way or the other would be appraciated.

DV is bizarre. Flat, tilled to unskiable, pimple size steeps, with
thousands of lifts, and a surprising number of Texans. DV is Disneyland
- completely controlled "rides" not ski pistes.

So is Park City, but somewhat more relaxed, and a lift or two leaves
from town which makes it much nicer for a honeymoon.

After she learns to ski you'll never consider either again, so why not
visit PC now?

Be aware that that's early season - watch the weather and be ready to
change your plans. In fact, for SLC, Jackson, Mammoth, or Tahoe (and I
assume the NW mtns) there's no need to plan ahead at all. Just go and
grab a car and cheap room when you arrive. In fact, decide where to go
by the availability of cheap air tickets. This whole "ski trip" thing is
grossly over planned - think of all the people making a living by
feeding off the intermediate transactions.
Old September 13th 05, 08:35 PM
Gusoline

Yup - completely agree. Although it is much easier to convince the
more reluctanct party memebers to go skiiing on a vacaton if they have
a ski town to spend the day in if they are too tired to ski. Never
having been too tired to ski, I'm not sure of the need, but apparently
it exists.

Thus, if the ski town allows for a trip to a 3000+ foot vertical
instead of a day trip to a 300 foot vertical, it very much contributes
to great skiing.